SXS under $2000?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SXS under $2000?

Postby Blackcloud5 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 am

I'm looking for a nice reliable quality made sxs to occasionally duck hunt with. It needs to have 3 inch chambers and be safe for steel shot. Screw in chokes would be nice but not necessary. What are my options? I'm looking to keep it under $2000. Thanks.
Cut Em
Blackcloud5
hunter

Re: SXS under $2000?

Postby greenbean » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:25 pm

CZ Ringneck is well under your price range and I like it. No issues. Ive seen them as low as 800 new.
greenbean
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:30 pm

For a while S&W made a SXS that was steel shot compatible. I think it was called the elite gold model and CDNN clearance them out for a little over $1000. Might want to contact them and see if they still have any.

Personally, if I was just going to occasionally hunt waterfowl with a SXS I wouldn't worry about the steel shot compatible and just pick up some bismuth shot (or equivalent) for the few times I took it out. It would give you a lot more choices.
sharris
hunter

Postby Windrider » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:58 pm

There are some Ugartechea's with 3" chambers if you watch gunbroker.

Pretty rare though and you'd have to have the chokes opened.

CZ is prob the best bet for ducks.
Windrider
hunter

Postby Blackcloud5 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Sharris- that makes sense haha.

Does anyone have any experience with the browning bss? Thanks
Cut Em
Blackcloud5
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Get on gunbroker.com and look at the Browning BSS there usually lots of like new 12ga on there, the BSS in 12ga is not popular with the upland crowd because they are heavier than most upland guns but that makes then just about perfect for Waterfowl! the only problem is they were never offered with screw in chokes but you can have the fixed chokes opened up to whatever you choose really cheap. The BSS is built very well it's like a SxS Citori as far as durability goes and that figures since they were built by the same manufacturer...Miroku I think. They made two versions Strait Grip and Pistol Grip, The Strait Grip is the more desirable model to have since it is lighter and handles better.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:11 pm

The thing about sxs is you really get what you pay for. I watched a show about making them its not that easy getting the point of impact as such with an over and under that's why the really good ones cost so much .They have to keep un soldering them and re setting the barrels until there perfect. They showed cheaper gun vs top of the line guns big P.O.I difference good luck.
cootlover
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum