3" vs 3.5" shotgun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: 3" vs 3.5" shotgun

Postby surfrat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:50 pm

I think it is funny that a lot of guys bash a 3.5 that don't even shoot one. I have several Duck guns and the one I shoot the most is a SBEII with 3.5 in 1300 fps Kent ammo. It shoots nice dosen't kick bad and kills what I shoot at. As far as extra cost that is a joke considering what I spend on everything else. If guys want to fool themself into thinking a 3 in will kill better than a 3.5 go ahead. I know better. I sometimes will shoot an Ithica 37 with 3 in 1300 fps for a change and it kicks harder than the SBE II with 3.5's . Will a 2 3/4 or 3 kill ***** and geese...sure it will. But a 3.5 will kill them better.
surfrat
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Dead is dead, how can you "kill something better"

... And yes I own a 3.5" gun
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Get the green » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:33 pm

ajmorell wrote:Dead is dead, how can you "kill something better"

... And yes I own a 3.5" gun

:clapping: beat me to it! I think most people( including myself) tried the 3.5" assuming they would make up for in the inadequancys of steel but quickly learned...
Get the green
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm

There isn't a 3" load of 2's on the market that won't kill a duck within respectable range. There is no need for a 3.5" shell unless big geese are in the mix. The 3.5" shines when you hit #BB+, more shot the better with those big loads on big birds.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby dog walker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:21 pm

The big thing is how they pattern. If a 3" load out patterns a 3.5" with everything being same except the payload, then what's the point in shooting them? I'm not saying they will or won't it all comes down to what you shoot and how they pattern. If you get 15 extra pellets in a 3.5" but cannot put them where they count then it's pointless to shoot them. On the other hand if you gain pattern density then it's worth it.

For what I do 3" are fine and I own 4 guns that are chambered in 3.5". I hardly ever shoot 3.5 shells any more.
dog walker
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:04 am

The only thing I shoot 3.5s for any more are turkey and even that is probably overkill... The extra pellets do help with patten density but of course there comes a point of diminishing returns
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 am

I have hunted with guys using 3 1/2" shells a couple times. My observation was that it wasn't offering them a significant advantage. Yes... they were scratching out a bird or two that the guys with the 3" couldn't seem to get but often it took more than one shot to do so.

My point being that the 3 1/2" does offer some advantage to those shooters who are skilled enough to to get center of pattern hits on targets at extended ranges but from my observations a latge majority of shooters don't have the shooting skills to benefit from the 3 1/2" shell. You hear claims that the 3 1/2" wounds less birds but I have my doublts. I think it wounds as many as the 3" .....it just does it at extended ranges.............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby surfrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:41 am

I think the proof is in the pudding. I know that for me I miss less birds with the 3.5 in. I don't shoot at birds unless I think I can cleanly kill them . I am not saying I can't and don't kill them with a 3 in. I'm just saying I cripple and miss less with the 3.5 . If I didn't feel like lost cripples are as big a deal as I do then it wouldn't matter as much to me. I use to shoot the 3 in. all the time untill I started hunting with some guys that are big fans of the 3.5. It made a beliver out of me. I guess untill you hunt with someone who is a better duck hunter than you that shoots a 3.5 you will never know. Shooting paper is one thing..A 3.5 and a 3 will pattern about the same....those pelletts that lag behind in the shot string in real life might not hit a real duck but will hit paper...The 3.5 extra payload seems to fill the gap on a moving bird...I get it but I can't make anyone else get it. If you could make paper fly 50 mph. and 40 yds high as you shoot at it then look at how many pellets hit with a 3.5 vs a 3 same velocity I bet the 3.5 would have several more. I think the high velocity stuff elongates the shot string and causes more misses.. If you clean ducks you might notice they usually only have a couple holes in them not 20 or 30 like the peice of paper that is sitting still . If every duck I shoot was coming in a 20 yds about to land I would not ever shoot a 3.5. About 75 % of what I shoot are doing a fly by at about 35 to 40 yds or so.
Last edited by surfrat on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfrat
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 am

I have an A400 Xtreme.
By far, I shoot more 2.75" rounds than anything else, even though it cycles the 3.5"s great.
For early season ducks the 2.75" shells are all that's needed, and recoil is almost non-existent.
For mid to late season ducks I'll move up to the 3"ers, and it smacks them pretty hard, but when it comes to Honkers, I like to have that third round as a 3.5.
We hunt over decoys, and 25 yards-30 yards out and 5-20 ft off the ground is prefered, but not always in the cards.
Even when it is, having the big swat in there for that final knock down on a wounded bird on the second of a double is a very nice thing to have.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:57 am

surfrat wrote:I think the proof is in the pudding. I know that for me I miss less birds with the 3.5 in. I don't shoot at birds unless I think I can cleanly kill them . I am not saying I can't and don't kill them with a 3 in. I'm just saying I cripple and miss less with the 3.5 . If I didn't feel like lost cripples are as big a deal as I do then it wouldn't matter as much to me. I use to shoot the 3 in. all the time untill I started hunting with some guys that are big fans of the 3.5. It made a beliver out of me. I guess untill you hunt with someone who is a better duck hunter than you that shoots a 3.5 you will never know. Shooting paper is one thing..A 3.5 and a 3 will pattern about the same....those pelletts that lag behind in the shot string in real life might not hit a real duck but will hit paper...The 3.5 extra payload seems to fill the gap on a moving bird...I get it but I can't make anyone else get it. If you could make paper fly 50 mph. and 40 yds high as you shoot at it then look at how many pellets hit you might get it. If you cleaned more ducks you might notice they usually only have a couple holes in them not 20 or 30 like the peice of paper that is sitting still . :mad: If every duck I shot was coming in a 20 yds about to land I would not ever shoot a 3.5. About 75 % of what I shoot are doing a fly by at about 35 to 40 yds or so.

The difference in price between a 3 inch shell and a 3.5 inch shell is why I don't shoot them. If I am going to shoot 3.5 inch shells, i will go up a gauge and shoot a 10. I prefer my shots to be a bit closer than, 35-40 yards personally, that is why I have decoys and calls. I try to get ducks as close as possible to shoot, not see if I can hit them a mile away.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby surfrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 am

35 to 40 yards is not a mile away. I can kill a duck at that range all day long. I too have decoys and calls. Sometimes where we hunt 35 to 40 yd look and fly by's are all you are going to get. In that situation a 3.5 is a better choice....If benelli made a left hand sbeII in 10 ga then I would have one . All I am saying is that there is a diffrence between a 3in and a 3.5 as far as what it is capable of. A 3.5 will kill ducks that a 3 in might or might not.
Last edited by surfrat on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfrat
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:13 am

surfrat wrote:35 to 40 yards is not a mile away. I too have decoys and calls. Sometimes where we hunt 35 to 40 yd look and fly by's are all you are going to get. In that situation a 3.5 is a better choice....If benelli made a left hand sbeII in 10 ga then I would have one .

Why not shoot a BPS 10 then? Ambidextrous guns
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby surfrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 am

I have one ...It swings like a lead pipe weighs a ton and kicks like a mule .....Have you ever shot a 10 ga BPS?.. Have you ever even shot a 3.5 12 ga.? 3.5 in Kent cost less than a lot of the 3 in shells on the market.
Last edited by surfrat on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfrat
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 am

surfrat wrote:I have one ...It swings like a lead pipe and kicks like a mule.....Have you ever shot a 10 ga BPS? Have you even ever shot a 3.5 12 ga.?

Have shot both and if I am shooting 3.5" shells, I am shooting the 10. Price difference between the two is minimal and the payload capacity of a 10 far exceeds a 12. Recoil is not very noticeable to me between the two, and I am not a very large guy. The weight of a BPS 10 helps to greatly reduce the recoil to me.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby surfrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:27 am

I will stick with the SBE II ...You should look at one yourself. Makes a pump gun recoil seem 10 times worse if you shoot both. My 24 in SBE is a very sweet shooting gun. Light ,fast, and pretty...Just like my wife.
surfrat
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 am

surfrat wrote:I will stick with the SBE II ...You should look at one yourself. Makes a pump gun recoil seem 10 times worse if you shoot both. My 24 in SBE is a very sweet shooting gun. Light ,fast, and pretty...Just like my wife.

Had one before, got rid of it. I have no need for a 3.5" gun anyhow, unless it is a 10 gauge. I will stick with my 3" gun and kill some ducks just fine with it. :wink:

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby surfrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:51 am

I like you just because you have a 10 ga....I agree it is a better choice for 35 plus yds. I wish someone made a left hand one in auto..... When you said you had one and got rid of it did you mean the Wife or the Benelli? :smile:
surfrat
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 pm

I kill tons of geese In ca with my 870. I upgraded to the Versamaxx last year and love it.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 pm

surfrat wrote:I like you just because you have a 10 ga....I agree it is a better choice for 35 plus yds. I wish someone made a left hand one in auto..... When you said you had one and got rid of it did you mean the Wife or the Benelli? :smile:

Wives cost to much so I just buy guns :thumbsup:

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 am

I have a 3" shotgun and I NEVER shoot 3" shells unless I am given some. I shoot 2 3/4 kent fasteel number twos out of a carlsons choke for everything. Anybody who says you need a 3.5 inch shell for geese is completely full of it. I look to take ethical shots (within 45 yards) and can completely hammer the biggest honkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum