Camo BPS vs synthetic

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Camo BPS vs synthetic

Postby 95 taco » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to duck hunting, but not hunting in general, I'm looking for a shotgun to fit a multi-purpose role (duck, upland game, trap, and turkey) and decided on a browning BPS.
I want the 3.5'' chamber so i'm not limited on what shells i can shoot, but that only comes with the synthetic stock (stalker model) and the camo models, from my reading the dura-touch doesn't hold up to well.

I would like thaw camo to break up the outline of the gun while hunting, so my options for the stalker model are a camo wrap (i'm a little leary of water getting under the wrap and rusting the gun), and painting (which i don't want to do to a new gun), and hydro-dipping is to expensive as i'm buying waders and a jacket + ammo.

I'm tempted to get the camo model and if the finish starts to wear put a small piece camo wrap where my hands go (i figure that's where it'll wear the fastest.

Anyway, What are y'alls opinions/experiences?
95 taco
hunter

Re: Camo BPS vs synthetic

Postby rmh » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:10 pm

In my opinion only, camo on a gun is a scam. If it makes you feel better, ok, but how many years/decades/centuries were ducks hunted with just a black gun by guys wearing tan canvas coats?

I have the BPS Stalker, would have preferred the Hunter but I bought it used at such a great price I couldn't turn it down, but as far as the gun goes you can't do much better.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Good choice on settling in on a BPS! :thumbsup:
I've had my BPS for around 6 years now and absolutely love it. For what it's worth, I have the 26" 3.5" chamber Mossy Oak Duck Blind flavor. The bottom line on the factory camo coating is that yes- it does wear some, but not excessively so. I put a pretty insane number of hours on my BPS the first couple years alone and have to say the wearing is pretty minimal. I feel quite certain that if you could see my gun and know the time I've spent carrying it around here or there, you would say "that's not bad at all." Enjoy the gun! :hammer:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:28 pm

I had very good luck with Brownings duratouch coating. I hunted my maxus for 4 or 5 seasons and it still looked new when I sold it. I just made sure not to get any harsh chemicals on it and I switched insect repellents that have no DEET in them. I would even say that after that many seasons, it looked better than my new Benelli does after a couple weeks worth of hunting. I have a bps stalker that I bought as a backup/loaner gun but if it were going to be my main gun I wouldn't hesitate to get another Browning with their camo/duratouch finish.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:31 pm

rmh wrote:In my opinion only, camo on a gun is a scam. If it makes you feel better, ok, but how many years/decades/centuries were ducks hunted with just a black gun by guys wearing tan canvas coats?

I have the BPS Stalker, would have preferred the Hunter but I bought it used at such a great price I couldn't turn it down, but as far as the gun goes you can't do much better.

The camo is more for turkey but i'm sure it can't hurt for all types of hunting, plus i like the way it looks.

Thanks for the input

R-Factor wrote:Good choice on settling in on a BPS! :thumbsup:
I've had my BPS for around 6 years now and absolutely love it. For what it's worth, I have the 26" 3.5" chamber Mossy Oak Duck Blind flavor. The bottom line on the factory camo coating is that yes- it does wear some, but not excessively so. I put a pretty insane number of hours on my BPS the first couple years alone and have to say the wearing is pretty minimal. I feel quite certain that if you could see my gun and know the time I've spent carrying it around here or there, you would say "that's not bad at all." Enjoy the gun! :hammer:

Thanks, i got to shoot my cousins BPS and that really helped my choice.
Thanks for the info, that's the setup i'm looking at, except i want the APG/breakup-infinity camo.
95 taco
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:32 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I had very good luck with Brownings duratouch coating. I hunted my maxus for 4 or 5 seasons and it still looked new when I sold it. I just made sure not to get any harsh chemicals on it and I switched insect repellents that have no DEET in them. I would even say that after that many seasons, it looked better than my new Benelli does after a couple weeks worth of hunting. I have a bps stalker that I bought as a backup/loaner gun but if it were going to be my main gun I wouldn't hesitate to get another Browning with their camo/duratouch finish.

Sweet, I don't wear insect repellant, but i'll keep that in mind.
It sounds like i know what i'm getting.
95 taco
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:21 pm

New to duck hunting! you gunna be using insect repellant sooner than you might think. good duckn
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:34 pm

I have a Browning Gold in camo that I've been using since 2000. I put about 500 rounds per year through it. The camo is holding up surprisingly well; there are only two small areas where it is wearing. (Both are on the grip.)
I would not be concerned about the Browning camo's durability. I am a firm believer in the effectiveness of a camo gun. Camo is never a DISadvantage when it comes to hiding from waterfowl.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm

garlicsalt wrote:New to duck hunting! you gunna be using insect repellant sooner than you might think. good duckn

Yep, brand new, i was hoping to go out in the blind and observe last weekend, but the school load is a little heavy to go out a kill a day.
I hope not, i can't stand insect repellant, where i'll be hunting i haven't heard of folks using repellant either, but i'll find out when i go.

Thanks.

mudpack wrote:I have a Browning Gold in camo that I've been using since 2000. I put about 500 rounds per year through it. The camo is holding up surprisingly well; there are only two small areas where it is wearing. (Both are on the grip.)
I would not be concerned about the Browning camo's durability. I am a firm believer in the effectiveness of a camo gun. Camo is never a DISadvantage when it comes to hiding from waterfowl.

Good to hear, thanks.
95 taco
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 am

95 taco wrote: where i'll be hunting i haven't heard of folks using repellant either, but i'll find out when i go.

Lakeside, huh? That means Salton Sea/Wister area, or Colorado River, or possibly San Jacinto or Otay or Hodges. I lived in Poway for 30 years and hunted those places extensively (not SJ so much...) The first half of the season will find you sharing the blind with mosquitos....sometimes maddeningly so. Just thought I'd warn you. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:22 am

its just like mud said but at the south end of the sea tham buggers rock it year round.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:37 am

mudpack wrote:
95 taco wrote: where i'll be hunting i haven't heard of folks using repellant either, but i'll find out when i go.

Lakeside, huh? That means Salton Sea/Wister area, or Colorado River, or possibly San Jacinto or Otay or Hodges. I lived in Poway for 30 years and hunted those places extensively (not SJ so much...) The first half of the season will find you sharing the blind with mosquitos....sometimes maddeningly so. Just thought I'd warn you. :thumbsup:

Definitely wister, san jacinto every once in a while, and a decent amount of time at a buddys private property out past descanso.
Thanks for the heads up, i'll shop around for some deetless bug spray.

I possibly might not get the BPS, my cousin just recently bought a stoeger m3500 (it's on my list of guns to try) and i was able to hold and swing it and it feels good, so i'll try his BPS (his old duck gun) his 3500, and his brothers 11-87 and see what i shoot best and what feels best.
95 taco
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 pm

I have yet to experience lack of ducks decoying because of my BPS stalker trim. But, it has seen lots of weather and has been soaked in saltwater a couple of times and you can't find a spot of rust. Just take care of whatever trim you get and it will love you back.
troutman561
hunter

Postby WMTribe_Kicker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:23 am

If im not mistaken, the black also has the dura touch finish? I've had a camo bps and a camo maxus and they're both holding up very well!
Marsh Mutt Pro Staff
Low Tide Waterfowlers
WMTribe_Kicker
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for the input guys, i'm gonna be ordering a BPS soon, i was gonna order the stoeger today (it shoots the same as the BPS for me), but when i went to order it it was out of stock, and when i talked to the LGS they said it would be 3-4 months before they are out of back ordered.
95 taco
hunter

Postby 95 taco » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 pm

I just ordered a m3500 with a 26'' barrel with the realtree APG camo.
I got to shoot my cousins BPS again this morning and it just didn't feel right compared to the stoeger, and i shoot the stoeger a little better.
95 taco
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum