What do you think about the Remington 870 Super Mag

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

What do you think about the Remington 870 Super Mag

Postby Burney0901 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Hello there, I am somewhat new to duck hunting and was wondering about the Remington 870 Super Mag. What are your guys thoughts on this gun?
Burney0901
hunter

Re: What do you think about the Remington 870 Super Mag

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Some will tell you it's great. I disagree. I bought a black synthetic stocked black barrel model in 2010 brand new and it wouldn't extract the shell out of the chamber more than half the time. Didn't matter what rounds I used either. Very frustrating when hunting. Also with hunting in any kind of moisture it would turn brown in a matter of no time. Plus, after shouldering several other guns I found it didn't fit me worth a crap. So basically I rushed out to buy this gun and that was my fault. I ended up buying a new gun in 2012 which I am MUCH happier with. Gave the 870 to my brother and he took it all apart and machined the extractor parts so it functioned better. Still wasn't perfect. I have since sold that gun and replaced it with a Nova for my backup/lend out gun. Couldn't be happier.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 pm

How to get a balky 870 to shoot....oil and steel wool chucked up on a drill motor. Spin it for a few minutes till the chamber is smooth. Take it all apart and check for any rough parts...smooth any that are. Coat all metal parts with a heavy dose of break free...let sit...shoot... clean...re-coat with break free...let that barrel/receiver soak it up...good to go.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:50 pm

The newer 870's need this polished well or they hang up.Image

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:51 pm

870 Supermagnum Turkey gun. Image

aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:53 pm

870 Magnum Wingmaster.Image

aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

My first one. 870 Wingmaster. Image

aunt betty
hunter

Postby vandonsj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I have an older model. Not sure how old for sure, as I bought it used. But I've never had a problem whatsoever. Good reliable gun.
vandonsj
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:00 pm

my supermag had the same chamber issues. Took a good polishing to get it to cycle federal 3.5" loads which were hanging up the worst. It sure isn't in the same ball park of quality as my wingmasters of 1970's vintage.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 am

Now this sounds like the Mossberg 935 issues post that that one guy keeps posting on how to get a new one of those to work right. What a joke. Craftsmanship in the toilet. That's why I will now always stay away from Remjunk and Mossturd!! The 3 b-gun brands is where it's at.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am

Yes a berretta or benelli is probably better right out the box, but that doesn't matter if you can't $$$ afford one. Generally a few simple steps can make a less than perfect, less expensive 870 express or Mossberg 500 run correctly (I own both). One other thing I did to my supermag was to install a limbsaver recoil pad, 3 1/2's are no longer so punishing to shoot.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 am

I'm not talkin SBEII or A400. The Benelli Nova is a fine gun and without those additions you have about the same money into a gun that needs no work.
Nova $419
870 $369 = $40 limbsaver= $409+your time and materials to fix the gun..

Not a lot of difference there.. Plus you get 3 chokes with the nova and only one with the 870..
gearhead80
hunter

Postby WMTribe_Kicker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 am

In my opinion though, if you save up to get a "B" gun, you will end up spending less on firearms in the future as you will have far fewer problems than buying an el cheap. I have a buddy who's gone through three guns in about 6 years and spent right at what I payed for any of my "B" guns. I haven't had one problem with any of my B guns at all. Just my $.02 though.

If you are just getting into the sport though, just buy something inexpensive as you are deciding if you are really gonna partake in the sport in the future.

Enjoy whatever shotgun you decide :thumbsup:
WMTribe_Kicker
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:50 am

WMTribe_Kicker wrote:In my opinion though, if you save up to get a "B" gun, you will end up spending less on firearms in the future as you will have far fewer problems than buying an el cheap. I have a buddy who's gone through three guns in about 6 years and spent right at what I payed for any of my "B" guns. I haven't had one problem with any of my B guns at all. Just my $.02 though.

If you are just getting into the sport though, just buy something inexpensive as you are deciding if you are really gonna partake in the sport in the future.

Enjoy whatever shotgun you decide :thumbsup:

I have proven this to myself over and over and over again. Whether it's shotguns, duck calls, rifle scopes, knives, etc., etc., I always started low and worked my way up, losing a few bucks every time. In the long run it's almost always cheaper to spend more money
on an item of higher quality right off the get.

That being said, a properly functioning 870 supermag would be my first choice in a waterfowling pump BUT it seems like anymore you only have about a 50/50 chance of getting one from the factory so you have to make that decision based on your time restraints. At one time I had an auto that broke down during duck season and I was waiting on parts so I needed a gun in a hurry. I didn't have time to fiddle-fart around with a gun of questionable reliability so I bought a BPS. I prefer the ergonomics of an 870, and if it had been the off season I probably would've bought one and taken the time to give it a thorough testing and working out any bugs.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 am

I have no problem with a nova, I've shot my bud's. I personally don't like how it feels in the hand. Inertial benellis kick like crap, berettas don't fit me right (they hit too high). My part of this thread is for the person who already has a troublesome gun and things I've done to correct problems with my own. My last 870 I bought, an old special purpose, for $120 was a neglected wreck of a gun. Barrel is good, I bought it for parts. A little TLC and a new slide to replace the cracked one, used it for dove season. Most all my guns are used, I think I gave $200 for my super mag, I know I only gave $200 for my pristine 1980 vintage wingmaster. What was the last new gun I bought?...Oh yeah a Browning citori satin hunter 3 1/2", used her for the opening day. Late season when the crap is blowing I'll take my old Moss 500 or maybe the super mag, my stevens 311H, or maybe my sp-10. The 11-87 sp goes Friday.
Will they work?...Yep...Why?..because I've tuned them.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 pm

rikasam2013 wrote:I have no problem with a nova, I've shot my bud's. I personally don't like how it feels in the hand. Inertial benellis kick like crap, berettas don't fit me right (they hit too high). My part of this thread is for the person who already has a troublesome gun and things I've done to correct problems with my own. My last 870 I bought, an old special purpose, for $120 was a neglected wreck of a gun. Barrel is good, I bought it for parts. A little TLC and a new slide to replace the cracked one, used it for dove season. Most all my guns are used, I think I gave $200 for my super mag, I know I only gave $200 for my pristine 1980 vintage wingmaster. What was the last new gun I bought?...Oh yeah a Browning citori satin hunter 3 1/2", used her for the opening day. Late season when the crap is blowing I'll take my old Moss 500 or maybe the super mag, my stevens 311H, or maybe my sp-10. The 11-87 sp goes Friday.
Will they work?...Yep...Why?..because I've tuned them.

Well, Congratulations!! :clapping:
gearhead80
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Thank you gearhead, I do likes me shotgunz! You must be bored at work too. :thumbsup:
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Burney0901 wrote:Hello there, I am somewhat new to duck hunting and was wondering about the Remington 870 Super Mag. What are your guys thoughts on this gun?

I like it. I have one and use it to turkey hunt and the rare goose hunt. Works fine, lasts a long time. I have a 3" express that had to have the chamber polished like the others mentioned. My problem was with Kent's, no problem with others that I tried (xperts and feds). I since have heard that there could be a diameter difference in Kent's. Either way, they all run fine after a little polishing. Doesn't take a lot, just knock the rough/rust off. I done it once, have not had to do it again. Eight yrs ago, maybe more.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:50 pm

my 870 SM brings the shell out of the chamber every time , never had the shell stuck still in the chamber....... but the emptys tend to hang on the edges of the receiver port. Especially with the Federal silver base shells and or 3.5's of any kind. Anyone else with this. Can the ejector port edges be polished. Made a hair larger?
Pepper1
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:04 am

Here's my thoughts on the 870. I'm talking about the newer ones, dot have any experience with the older ones. I bought one new from Walmart in 2011.

The front stock rubs the bottom of the gun when you slide it and wears down the metal.
Couldn't keep it oiled enough to keep it from rusting, could watch it rust if you watched it long enough.
Made out of crappy material, I guess you get what you pay for.
Cheap or old shells stuck after shooting in my 870.

Other than that the gun performed well and shot every time I pulled the trigger. I'm not sure it would have lasted very long and dealing with the rust was annoying so I got rid of it and got a rarely used Nova for $325. Love it.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby landon__odell23 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:26 am

I'm having the same problem as a lot of people. My 870 won't eject dove shells or skeet shells. And light loads basically. You have to bang the butt against the ground for it to eject. VERY frustrating when hunting, but when using duck loads, it ejects fine. As of last year at least. Only shot twice duck hunting
landon__odell23
hunter

Postby wdr270 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:29 pm

I'll preface my comments by saying that I'm biased. I only have one Supermag but I have I have six 870's total. My Supermag is an 1998 model which is right after they came out, maybe even the year they came out. Aside from operator induced malfunctions I've had no problems with it. Like everything mechanical they will have problems but most of the time they are simple to fix.

I disagree completely with the guys above that wrote about the 870's being cheap junk and that buying a B gun is the only way to go. I dislike the new synthetic stocks that Remington is putting on their guns but the newer 870's that I've been around in the blind or swamp have had zero problems that I've seen. The rough barrel problem has been talked about for years and I don't doubt that it occurs but sometimes it may not be the gun, it may be the shells. European shells such as Fiocchi are notorious for causing that sort of problem. I've had it happen to my very first 870, a 20 gauge youth lightweight magnum. I can remember shaking the gun at doves because I couldn't eject the shell.

The Beretta's and Benelli's are known for light firing pin strikes, I've seen that happen with both. I can't think of specific problems with Browning's but my brothers Gold is wearing a slot into the reciever at the ejection port. How this will turn out structurally we're not sure but my point is that they all have their problems.

If you're unsure about a newer one go buy an older one from 2000 or older. I've found great deals in the past year on several and have less than $500 in the last three 870's I picked up. 2 Wingmaster's and an older Express 20 gauge.
wdr270
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum