New vs Used

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New vs Used

Postby aclumpkin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:14 pm

I am in the process of saving for a new shotgun. The question I keep wondering to myself is should I be looking at new or used. I am currently looking at either a Beretta A400, Super Vinci, or a SBEII. I currently shoot a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard. My Silver Mallard was a gift (bought used) from my parents some years ago. So this would be my first shotgun purchase.

Anyone have any strong thoughts on used vs new shotguns? I have already started saving for the new shotgun and with my Silver Mallard working well, I have no issues waiting and saving for a few more months to get a brand new shotgun.

I mainly ask because I see some posts from time to time about people buying new shotguns and almost immediately having big issues... like jamming or cycling issues. I also have read that some shotguns supposedly have "break in" periods. I keep wondering that if I buy used, perhaps the previous owner worked the kinks out. However, the previous owner could be looking to sell it because they already have had issues with the gun. Do gun manufactures work more with you on gun issues if you bought it new vs you buying it used?
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Re: New vs Used

Postby mauserfan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:56 am

Virtually every gun that I have owned has been used. You can tell a great deal about a gun by just getting it in your hands and giving it a good look over. Each gun has their idiosyncrasies but you can easily tell if it was abused or just used. Photos on the internet provide good info but just remember the most people rate the condition higher than it actually is. If it has been in the field and hunted with, it can't be a 99% gun. I have never had to send any gun to the manufacturer so I can't speak to your question on that. Best of luck....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum