870 wingmaster question

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

870 wingmaster question

Postby Fowl Movement » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 pm

So I bought a used 1994 wingmaster magnum a little while back....

I called remington before I bought it and gave them the serial number to find this out.

My question is..... Is it rare at all or common to have remington mis stamp a barrel.
They said when I called it was originally built with a 26 in light contour barrel. It is in fact a 26 in light contour barrel but is stamped 28 in. Just curious if this happened often or if this affects the value in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Fowl Movement
hunter

Re: 870 wingmaster question

Postby 3200 man » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:58 am

Why would you care of the value ? You have one of the best shotguns ever made and if it is a 26" and not a 28" and it
shoots good for you , go hunting ! About the only thing different in the 2 is , you are 2 inches farther away from your targets.
If this really worries you , by a pair of RX's and look again !

Go pattern that Sucker with the shell of your choice and see what it likes but , remember , move-up 2" closer ! :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby TuJays » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:05 am

Yes it is rare!
What is not rare is for someone to have swapped barrels prior to you purchasing the firearm.
One of the original owners took the 28" barrel off and put the 26" one on.......there are countless barrels that will fit your gun.
It has absolutely no effect on the value, its a 870 Wingmaster and they will be what they will be regardless of what barrel is on them, cause if the next guy does not like a 26" he can change it.
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby Fowl Movement » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks for the responses. I do love the gun....so smooth and shot my first triple on geese first time out.

I think you may have read my question wrong or I stated it wrong.... My 26 in barrel is stamped 28 in. I do believe it is the original barrel. Why would someone put an after market barrel on with the same specs it was originally made with... 26 in light contour which remington person verified. That's why I was curious if remington from the factory often made this kind of mistake.

Thank guys
Fowl Movement
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:04 am

I'm pretty sure that's the only mistake Remington ever made. I would put in the safe and wait for the value to skyrocket.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum