Shotgun suggestions for 13-year old

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Shotgun suggestions for 13-year old

Postby UTVolyaker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I am looking at getting my son a shotgun for duck and clay shooting. He is 13, 5-3 and 105 pounds. I'd like to hear some suggestions as I am looking for a semi-auto and it seems like prices can range from $350-$1200. I know you usually get what you pay for, but like to hear some suggestions of people with first hand experience - thanks
UTVolyaker
Newb

Re: Shotgun suggestions for 13-year old

Postby WMTribe_Kicker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:00 am

If you get him a top notch auto-loader, it will most likely outlast your son. My dad got me a Benelli SBE when I was 10 years old, and I still love that gun to this day. If you have the means to purchase him a higher quality gun, you would probably spend less money on it, than purchasing 3 or 4 decent, but not great shotguns. I have a benelli sbe, a browning maxus, and a beretta a400. My dad won the maxus and thats the only reason I have it, and just got the a400 because I absolutely loved the feel of it. I'd recommend any of those guns!
Most importantly, enjoy being with your son shooting. These are easily the best memories that I have with my dad!
Marsh Mutt Pro Staff
Low Tide Waterfowlers
WMTribe_Kicker
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:09 am

A 20 gage SX3 or A300 would still be killing clays/birds for your grandson. Gas-operated is the way to go.
Youth models are made by several manufacturers, and will help him get on target at his small size. Yes, he will outgrow it, but that comes with starting kids young; they outgrow stuff!!! You can buy him a full-sized 12 ga. in a couple of years (when the 20 no longer fits).
mudpack
hunter

Postby BobbyG » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:12 am

my 8 year old has a 20ga benelli montefeltro, and shoots it very well, it's full size, and the stock is a little long, but he still shoots it fine.
BobbyG
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:49 pm

UTVolyaker wrote:I am looking at getting my son a shotgun for duck and clay shooting. He is 13, 5-3 and 105 pounds. I'd like to hear some suggestions as I am looking for a semi-auto and it seems like prices can range from $350-$1200. I know you usually get what you pay for, but like to hear some suggestions of people with first hand experience - thanks

I would take him to bass pro or cabelas and have him shoulder a bunch of different auto loaders versa max, m2 , maxus, super black eagle 2, vinci , browning silver, beretta a400, beretta 390 or 391, ect.... After that ask him which one fits the best and feels most natural. You want to get a gun that fits him that is the most important thing.
Thanks
Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 am

I know the conventional wisdom is to buy a kid a 20 gauge. Since you are talking ducks and clays I would go with a lighter weight 12 gauge gas auto. He is probably coming up on a growth spurt soon anyway. Several guns are available but I like the SX 3 gun the best in your price range. You can go with the Compact Field model which is lighter with a shorter stock and you can install a full length stock later.
It is a full featured soft shooting gun with great handling qualities. You should be able to find one for around $1000 or so street price.
The 12 gauge has a lot more load flexibility from low to high power than a 20 gauge.

On the low end of the price range I would give the Weatherby SA-08 a hard look.
z51
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:24 pm

If you are considering a 12, you want to look at the CZ with adjustable stock model 712. One gun he'll never out grow.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/712-als/
ibedamn
hunter

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Get him a beretta a300 or any benelli auto loader
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby creole » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Id go with the max 4 sx3, light and very dependable mine chews anything I put in it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
creole
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:27 am

I'd buy him a high quality auto either a Beretta or benelli which ever fits him better and watch him use it when he is 30;)

I was a lot smaller than your son. My dad got me a mossy that lasted 2 season. He then got me a 20 ga Beretta 390. When I was 11 just a bit bigger than your son he got me an sbe2 which I have shot ever since (20 yo).

If your worried about price just remember its going to be a one time purchase and they hold their value well. Worse case if find him a lightly used sbe/sbe2 that is around....a lot of them out there. Good luck!
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum