Ruger All Weather O/U reviews

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Ruger All Weather O/U reviews

Postby jrg_80 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:58 pm

I've been keeping my eye open for one to come along and could possibly be inclined to add one to the arsenal, but I'd like to hear some reviews from those of you that own/owned and what you take is on them.

jrg
jrg_80
hunter

Re: Ruger All Weather O/U reviews

Postby jrg_80 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Anyone?
jrg_80
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 am

I don't have a All Weather but I do shoot a 20 ga Sporting Clays quite often for ducks. They are a very good gun and well worth owning. I don't understand the mentality of O/U not wanting a American made gun. Buy one you won't be sorry.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I don't own the SS version, but I have four Red Labels.
I don't care for them in the duck blind; they are too light to be a good duck gun (but are excellent upland guns), and I don't like the difficulty in reloading in a layout blind. Plus, I refuse to give up that third shot....I use it WAY too often.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:58 pm

I own one and love it . The only reason I don' shoot it anymore my back wont let me. Ruger has one problem sometime your shell will slip behind your ejector and it's a pain in the butt to get it out I think it only happened on Winchester shell's
cootlover
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Ruger has stopped making there O/U Red Labels . If you find one pick it up... :yes: it's not that bad of a gun
War Wagon
hunter

Postby ralph52 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Ruger has just introduced the new Red Label. I don't see an all weather model listed yet.
ralph52
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:39 pm

mudpack wrote:I don't own the SS version, but I have four Red Labels.
I don't care for them in the duck blind; they are too light to be a good duck gun (but are excellent upland guns), and I don't like the difficulty in reloading in a layout blind. Plus, I refuse to give up that third shot....I use it WAY too often.

The 30" barrel makes all the difference in the world as far as handling. Bit awkward in the blind at times.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:15 am

There have been a few All Weathers showing up on gun broker lately, The new Red Label is a smoking deal you can pick them up new in the box off the auction sites for less than $1100.00!

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Hat Flats wrote:There have been a few All Weathers showing up on gun broker lately, The new Red Label is a smoking deal you can pick them up new in the box off the auction sites for less than $1100.00!

But, so far, only with 26" barrels. :crying: ...which may or may not work for you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:18 pm

ohio mike wrote:The 30" barrel makes all the difference in the world as far as handling. Bit awkward in the blind at times.

Two of my RL's have 30" barrels, one has a 28". (the fourth is a 20 ga, which I would never use on ducks) The 30"ers DO handle a bit better...and both lengths are awkward in a layout boat/blind for me.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 pm

mudpack wrote:
ohio mike wrote:The 30" barrel makes all the difference in the world as far as handling. Bit awkward in the blind at times.

Two of my RL's have 30" barrels, one has a 28". (the fourth is a 20 ga, which I would never use on ducks) The 30"ers DO handle a bit better...and both lengths are awkward in a layout boat/blind for me.

Just curious,why not the 20 on ducks? I would think any break barrel would be awkward to load in a layout never tried it.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:14 am

I like my RL but don't us it much any more as I have transitioned to a 20 ga.(another brand). I'm not sure why you wouldn't use the 20 on duck. I use it on ducks and geese when field decoying and have great success. I don't feel hampered at all in the layout blind and often am able to get a third and even fourth shot with the O/U.

I'm hoping to upgrade my 20 to one of the new RLs in 20 ga sometime before next season.
Last edited by dakotashooter2 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:39 pm

ohio mike wrote:Just curious,why not the 20 on ducks? I would think any break barrel would be awkward to load in a layout never tried it.

No 20 because, like Nash Buckingham, I like to "hit ducks with heavy payloads of big shot". Can't shoot heavy payloads out of a 20..... I'd rather be overgunned than undergunned when I go out for waterfowl. That's the only reason.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Why not a 10 gauge then :huh: a 20 gauge wont kill duck's past 15 yards anyway :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:47 pm

mudpack wrote:
ohio mike wrote:Just curious,why not the 20 on ducks? I would think any break barrel would be awkward to load in a layout never tried it.

No 20 because, like Nash Buckingham, I like to "hit ducks with heavy payloads of big shot". Can't shoot heavy payloads out of a 20..... I'd rather be overgunned than undergunned when I go out for waterfowl. That's the only reason.

please don't tell me your favorite gun is named BoWop in honor of Mister Nash. :wink:
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:41 am

ohio mike wrote:
mudpack wrote:

please don't tell me your favorite gun is named BoWop in honor of Mister Nash. :wink:

It's Bo Whoop!, I think BoWop is a derogatory term about Italian Guys? :yes:

Hat :tongue:
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby TopWop » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 am

I think BoWop is one of those Southern Eyetalians...
TopWop
hunter

Postby JustinJ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:51 am

I bought one back in 06 or so. I've got the all weather model. Sat in the safe more or less until the last couple of seasons. Had the guy that does the paint work on most of my boat builds paint it and put a set of Kick's high flyer MOD chokes in it.
I switched from shooting an old A5 to the RL. My dad always shot an old SKB overunder, and I hated taking my grandfathers old A5 into the salt water marshes we hunt, so thats why I got the stainless RL.
It's a beautiful gun, but I just can't shoot it. It feels good, throws up and swings ok, but I just can't shoot it. Don't know if its how it fits me, but I seem to always be looking down the top of the rail or down the side of it. Have let others hunt with it, and they love it and say they have never had a gun fit them better. Maybe it's in my head, but I just can't shoot the gun. I've put it up till turkey season, and brought my 70 year A5 back into action.
My RL alos has had the issue with the ejectors from time to time, and I'm pretty sure that's a known issue for these guns.

Justin
Attachments
red lable 01.jpg
red lable 01.jpg (8.56 KiB) Viewed 415 times
JustinJ
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:26 am

ohio mike wrote:please don't tell me your favorite gun is named BoWop in honor of Mister Nash. :wink:

Unlike some, I don't name my guns.....I shoot them. :thumbsup:

BoWop.....wasn't he one of the stars of the Italian Dukes of Hazard TV show back in the day? :huh:
mudpack
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum