What should I do?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

What should I do?

Postby mud duck » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:06 pm

I dumped my Nova in the drink today, (completely submerged). It was only a couple feet under, and not in the mud. I poured the water out, changed the shells, shot a couple geese and went home. At home and wiped it down, cleaned the barrel, chamber and sprayed rem-oil where I could. It is now in a warm and dry location. Am I missing something? Should I pull the trigger assembly or spring and dry and oil those? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks
mud duck
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:43 pm

I would absolutely take the entire gun down and do a full cleaning ....I would assume you would do the same if out in the rain or almost any other water hunt - water gets in everywhere on any gun! Get it out and get it dry or you will have rust on any worn surfaces.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:55 pm

I have dropped mine three times completely into the water this year. I just poured out the water, made sure the barrel was clear and changed shells. I cleaned it for the first time last week after shooting probably 30 boxes of shells through it and dropping it in the water 3 times and dropping it many times in the mud and sand.

No problems here, no rusting or anything. I always make sure its dry when I get home though.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:08 pm

Take her all the way down. Use a dish towel and wipe down everthing. Use a little canned air in the trigger mech to blow out all the moister. I couldnt dig up any canned air the other day, so, I used the wifes hair drier. Take your fire pin out also...wipe it all down and apply a very small amount of lube to it and the spring also. If you apply to much oil to your fire pin area, or, the trigger area, your gun will missfire. If that where to happen...take her back down and wipe off all excessive oil. I just had to do all this as I hunted in the rain. I took it down all the way and applied too much oil....caused my Nova to missfire several times that first morning after an in depth cleaning. I havnt had a missfire now after wiping it back down, and, after shooting about three boxes and killin several ducks. Y'all have a nice day!
:hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:14 pm

If I want to make sure my gun is dry I blow it down with compressed air first,then run some wire dryer or moisture displacement fluid through it(electrical supply or hardware store-aerosol can).Blow it down again and then oil it up.
Haven't had any rust trouble although I still take it down from time to time just to be sure.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:18 pm

I use a gun scrub spray product to get all the dirt and moisture out of the hard to get to places, particularly the trigger system. These products then self dry. This will also clear out the firing pin. A little oil goes a long way on the trigger system. Definitely take out the part to the mag tube and clean and oil them all or you could have shell feed problems down the road if you get rust and gunk in the mag tube.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby mud duck » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks all, I pulled it apart tonight and cleaned it up. definitely dirtier than I thought it was going to be. What kind of gun scrub/protectant do you all recommend? I've been using rem-oil, but am not completely satisfied with it.
mud duck
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:32 am

I went swimming with my mossberg 500 on the 3rd of this month. I broke the gun down and left the trigger assembly and bolt assembly together but took a hair drier to them to get them hot to dry them out. Cleaned everything and oiled it and back together. It might be my beater but Its has to stay in top working action.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:15 am

One part I know some guys forget that will rust on ya is the choke tube. Make sure you pull it out and dry it off because that water will just sit in the threads if you have a screw in choke.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:50 am

And you need to clean the choke threads when you clean the gun. Its amazing how much powder residue gets in those threads.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby donell67 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:46 pm

i rarely clean my novas. if they get wet i just spray them down with break free.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stalns » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:41 pm

I've been using Tri-Flow lubricant for years. It has Teflon in the mixture. Availiable in most hardware stores by the WD-40.
stalns
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:47 pm

Just take 'er apart and do a good thourogh drying/lubing.

hope this helps,
SR
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum