SBE or SBE II

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SBE or SBE II

Postby bhack » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:41 pm

I'm getting a new shotgun soon and its going to be a SBE, but I'm not sure that the new version is worth the money. How many of you guys have owned the original and then upgraded to the SBE II? and in your opinion is it worth it? I'm not an wealthy man, but I'll spend the extra if it's worth it. I've read all the balistics, new improvements, benefits etc, but wanted to know from the actual users. Also, I used to own a nova, and the customer service wasnt' so hot, is it still the same?

thanks for your help
bhack
hunter

Postby mud duck » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:09 am

I would hold the guns. They both feel a little different. If I could afford either, I'd go with the SBE II. I like the Crio system and the contoured butt pad feels more comfortable.

As far as their customer service goes. I have a Nova and have emailed them a couple times. They seem to get back to me the next day, but their responses are very short, like they don't really want to go the extra step.

People will probably try to give you crap about buying the Benelli, but I think you're making the right choice. For the most part, Benelli's mechanism is inertia, everything else is gas. My take on gas is that they have more of a tendency to break down and be inconsistent, especially in adverse conditions. Just my 2 cents.
mud duck
hunter

Postby gilmore1011 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:44 am

I have been shooting a SBE since 99 and I really like it. Especially shooting almost every day during a normal goose season. It is light weight and mine fits me very well. 2 of my hunting buddies also shoot Benelli's and have had the same experience as me with them. I have picked up the new SBE2 and I like the feel of the stock. If my current one died I wouldn't hesitate to get the new SBE2. I'm sure you'll find lots of members here and on Goosehuntingchat.com that will gladly bash you buying a Benelli but you should buy whatever gun feels right and is in your budget. So I would say either is a great choice if you like the way the gun feels.

Good Luck,
Scott
gilmore1011
hunter

Postby JWG » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:21 pm

I'm just gonna say this. I have had them all. Damn near anyway. The Browning Gold, Winchester SX2, Beretta Xtrema, and finally the Benelli SBE. I am on my way to the SBE2 this coming season. They are all great guns. Out of them all, the one gun I will have on top of the SBE2. SX2, just my preference. I'd say get one of the gas guns and a case(shells) instead of a Benelli. The SX2 is the cheapest of the mentioned. Most importantly, do whatever you want. But, the way I did it satisfied me. I'd use one, like it, and trade in the next year for whatever the hype was. This is not a way of saving but losing money. But hey, I used them all for atleast the fall and spring waterfowling seasons. Gold hunter first(3") wood blued, then the SX2(3 1/2") camo, the Beretta Xtrema camo and the SBE in Max 4. Out of them all the Winchester did the best job for me. It fit me well and I am eyeing there new Light Field SX2. 6.12lb 12Ga shotgun sounds like a pheasant and dove killin machine
JWG
hunter

Postby BLKLABMAN » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:31 pm

Those that would bash Benelli are the ones who cant or wont spend the $$$$$. The small wacker... wish they had a big one syndrome comes into play.

I have two SBE II's and will go so far as to say you wont find a finer duck/goose shotgun.
As with JWG, I owned just about all of them myself. The 391, the Xtrema, the 11-87 and the BGH. The 391 worked, and worked Great. Another one in Timber will be bought very soon. The Xtrema shot 10" left at 40 yards. A trip top the factory did not fiix the problem. Besides that it swung like a 4x4 club. The cheap BGH receiver folded after only two years. The 11-87 was bought and sold within 3 weeks. I truly hated that shotgun.
Heres why I like the SBE II
The Comfortech does work and recoil is that of the Xtrema and the BGH even though they are heavier.
The Crio chokes throw great patterns therefore the need for afternmarket tubes is not there unless you like extended chokes.
I have a Briley X2 LM, a X2 MOD, and a Crio .675 Terror for them. All three especially the LM and the Terror throw killer patterns.
Mine have been nothing but FLAWLESS this year while hunting several states, in different weather conditions. Cant ask for more than that.
IMO they are worth every penny. :salude:

The only other semi-auto, I would buy would be another 3" 391.

Edit,
I cant spell. :toofunny:
Last edited by BLKLABMAN on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Postby JWG » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:02 pm

BLKLABMAN, which models you got? How is that stock holding up. I've only had the chance to hold a few and they feel much better aesthetics wise, and lighter! I can't wait to get mine. Will be before next fall. I bought the SBE this year to see what the SBE2 is made of and to see if there were any undesirables. Actually, by the time I had the SBE news seemed to just be leaking on the SBE2, but I liike to use that first excuse when talkin ta most. Day late dollar short sums it up
JWG
hunter

Postby BLKLABMAN » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 pm

JWG,
Both of mine have 26" barrels and arte in Advantage Timber. Season ends here on Sunday and I'm think about sending atleast one to Duracoat and having it dipped in Natural gear camo. That my only compalint. The factory camo/film will show wear after some hard use.

Overall. I really could not be happier with the SBE II after this year.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:56 pm

I am new to the whole camo dipped shotgun craze. Do any hold up to hard abuse? Mine shows a little wear, but thats what we buy them for. Extremas seem to hold up about the same. Is after market dipping better?

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gilmore1011 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:39 pm

Mike,

Like I said my SBE was bought in 99 and has been hunted hard every year. The only place where you can see the finish wearing off is the trigger guard and along the bottom where you reload it. But it's really not bad considering. So my experience has been good with the camo finish.

Scott
gilmore1011
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum