eye dominance

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

eye dominance

Postby gsphunter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:06 pm

Does anybody know any tricks to changing the dominance in your eyes. I am left eye dominant, but shoot right handed. I would prefer to continue to shoot right handed because all my guns are right handed and it is far more comfortable. Right now I'm shooting with my left eye closed, but think I could shoot alot better if I shot correctly with both eyes open. Thanks for any help.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:21 pm

Personally I haven't heard much about someone switching eyes too much with a gun, or whther it has been succesful. I do howver know a man who trained himself to shoot left handed with bow, that is he was able to train both eyes to be used, depending on what bow he was holding. I don't believe you could call it changing dominance, but he has the skill to shoot either way. Plus i hear that forcing a child to change eye dominance can cause some pychological problems... Finally, my brother, a southpaw shoots a gun left handed (left eye dominance) but shoots a bow pretty well right handed (bow in left hand, arrow drawn with the right) with his left eye dominance. I guess the point is, put you mind to it, and practice with it frequently. Good Luck!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:54 pm

buck gardener is like that. he puts wax on the left eye of his glasses.just a dot not the whole lense covered. but you probly dont wear glasses.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:48 pm

I dont know about shooting a shot-gun with your left eye shooting right handed. I am left eye dominant and shot everything right handed. Shotguns have never given me a problem really. For hand guns its all in how you raise your weapon and hold your head I had to learn this being in LE. I never have personally heard of anyone changing the dominance in the eye though. I think just practice would help more than anything try tilting your head a little more facing your mose over the gun more and get the left on looking down the barrel more. Best of luck to ya.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:11 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby had » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:30 pm

i also have this problem. it bothered me for all my life. i tryed lots of stuff. but i finally switched to left handed. it is rough but i am getting used to it. i started before waterfowl with the dove season. at least it dosen't feel weird holding my shotgun. but i always feel like i'm standing the wrong way. :smile:
before i switched i would place the thumb on the fore arm so that it would just cover the bead. kinda wierd but it worked. just not consistent.
had
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:37 am

Just wanted to say thanks for the help everyone. I have some things to try now and I plan on trying them. Thanks again.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:55 pm

No prob. good luck with it GSP.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:54 pm

I was left handed and switch to right at an early age, but always shot a shot gun and rifle left handed. Had all right handguns and never thought about it until I did a lot of serious clay shooting. Found that all though I did very well left handed the gun fit was an issue. I am right eye dominant and I always just squinted a little before the shot. I was a high-level class shooter in skeet and trap as well as a B level at sporting clays. A couple years ago I switch to right handed. It took a year to get as good as I was left handed but the gun fit was worth it and the eye issue is much better now. I no longer shoot competitively but I shoot almost as good with about 75% less practice. I would recommend you switch hands if it was just the eye issue, but you have more problems with gun fit unless you get a left handed gun or one with a stock shim system. Scotch tape on the glasses works well if you have to have glasses or when the weather permits it without it being a pain. Personally I never liked it myself. I just saw a fiber optic bead by Truglo called he wing stopper, also called strut stopper. The fiber is recessed in a hood and is supposed to prevent you seeing the light unless your are properly aligned with the gun. This is definitely worth a try.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:19 pm

I've been shooting the past couple days with a piece of tape over my left eye. Seemed to help a little, but it's also a pretty big distraction looking around the piece of tape. Don't think I can afford to be buying new guns to shoot left handed, but this probably would be ideal.
I've been thinking about this alot and I'm going to talk to my eye doctor and ask him if decreasing the prescription strength in my left contact lens would change my eye dominance to my right eye. I'll probably be his first patient that wants to decrease his prescription!
gsphunter
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:05 pm

gsp - there is another use to add to duck tape, just watch the eyebrows.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WIhunter » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:05 pm

Uni-Dot (www.unidot.com) Makes a special fiber optic sight with a hood over it for people with eye dominance problems. When you mount the gun only the eye looking down the barrel can see the fiber optic bead. The hood blocks the other eye from being able to see it. About $20-$25.
WIhunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:22 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby noise1 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:28 pm

If you have a vented rib on your shotgun, there is a solution for you. It is a thin flat piece of metal about the size of a razor blade(thicker though) and it goes on the left side of the vent rib a few inches away from the front bead. It fastens with two allen bolts thru the vent rib from the other side. I 've seen alot of them on trap guns at the club and found out they are used to block the view of the bead for your left eye so you can shoot with both eyes open. It's easier than changing the bead and it can be removed once your right eye becomes dominant.
noise1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:12 pm

That sounds like a pretty good deal. My 870 has a vented rib too, so it would work on my gun. Do you know what they are actually called or where you can get them.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby noise1 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:27 am

On Sunday I' going to the club, I'll ask what they're called and where you can get them.
noise1
hunter

Postby noise1 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:48 pm

It turns out that the guys at the club made them themselves. It's just a piece of thin steel that is as wide as the rib height plus the height of the bead and it only needs to be 1 1/2 to 2" long. You fasten it to the left side of the rib with two screws through the vents from the right side 3-4" away from the bead so your left eye cannot see the bead and your right eye barely sees the strip.
noise1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:50 pm

Thanks noise1. I'll get to figurin something out to make that. It sounds like a good idea. I've tried patches on my eye, a strip of tape on my glasses, shooters dots, but they all just bug me. My next step was to try a special sight that WIhunter mentioned, but this method seems like it would work better and wouldn't interfere with sight. Thanks again.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum