Shooting Hevishot through a 391

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Shooting Hevishot through a 391

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:45 am

I talked to Beretta, they they don't recommend shooting hevishot through the xtrema. They say it will damage the chrome lining on the barrel. Here is my question Doesn't the SBE have the same basic barrel design? They are from the same parent company (Beretta) and use a similar locking bolt. Anybody have any input?
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:56 pm

I checked before I bought my sbe and I forget the hardness of the barrell but it was o.k. for steel and hevishot is softer, I think that's pretty weird that if hevishot is softer than steel you can't shoot it out a 391, it's not realy supposed to be a lead gun, it's supposed to be made for steel shot, i thought.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby berettaman » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:28 am

I have the 2003 DU urika and I woudl not recommend shooting hevishot out of it. The bore is TIGHT. The problem with hevishot is that it is hard and will damage a barrel that is not backbored. My browning citori hunter and golds have the ability to run 3 patches down them on the same jag that I have to force 1 patch down on the beretta. I would shoot the kent W-matrix if you wnat a steel alternative...its a bit cheaper than the hevi-shot and it is supposed to be the cats meow. Good luck.
berettaman
hunter

Shooting HeviShot

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:07 am

The Xtrema is backbored. That is the 391 I have, sorry for any confusion. They just said that it would damage the barrel. I shot tungsten matrix the last two seasons, and it kills the gobblers dead. Only problem is that I have to drive 150 miles to get it. I can get hevi shot around home.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum