Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby DiscoDuck » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Ok, I had some questions on the PM's. This is what I did. It's nothing fancy, but I like it. I think it'll be a good multi purpose. fThis is without the clearcoat matte finish, and the color looks a little different in the pictures.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Canned Heat » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:25 pm

After a chat from Disco and a quick view of his pics, I jumped on mine today.

Probably will add some reeds and still have to clear coat it, but here's how it went:

Rifled barrel went first...

Then got to the bird barrel....and matched it to the previous painting on the action, stock, and foreend.Image

These are the paints/primer I used:

This is where I am.

Clearcoat and reeds tomorrow if the weather holds out here in the Land of Brats and Beer. Looks pretty similar to Disco's work at this point. Matches all of my Mossy Oak BU better than I thought it would.

Thanks Stump & Disco....and you're right. It was fun as hell. :thumbsup:
Reality is a great place....I just wouldn't want to live there.
Canned Heat
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:02 pm

Alright, I finally finished the maiden voyage. I am content with it for the first run.
Stump, I want to apologize right now in case my wife calls you. I kind of blamed part of the process on you because of the comments on proper drying. Apparently our basement is not a spray paint booth. :huh: I was given strict instructions not to be spraying while she or the kids were home. Anyway...

DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:25 pm

DiscoDuck wrote:
Stump, I want to apologize right now in case my wife calls you. I kind of blamed part of the process on you because of the comments on proper drying. Apparently our basement is not a spray paint booth. :huh: I was given strict instructions not to be spraying while she or the kids were home. Anyway...

BBBBHHHHAAAAAWWWWW Now that there is TOO FUNNY!!!!!
If my wife answers, the two of them will have ALOT of painting stories to tell.
Mine will no longer allow me to have disassembled guns laying on the kitchen table

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Canned Heat » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:48 pm

DiscoDuck wrote:Alright, I finally finished the maiden voyage. I am content with it for the first run.

I'm still catching hell from my priming day back a few weeks by the Mrs....Wouldn't be surprised if the smoke/co detector went off now after a few weeks time. Another NO vote for the "indoor paint booth".

Nice work, Disco....wish I had a bit more green like yours.
Canned Heat
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Ok, I'm getting ready to start another one for my brother in law. He had camo tape on his wood (no pun intended). Any recommendations to take off the adhesive left behind? It pretty much just loads up the sandpaper, and thinner didn't touch it. :huh:
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Canned Heat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:17 pm

I had the same issue with mine before I visited Stump's Camo-Gun link. I placed a rag over the wood and doused it with acetone or thinner and let it sit for awhile. If that does not work, (or work fast enough for you....) try the Bix paint and adhesive remover that was mentioned in the post about paint removal from a gun barrel. Watch out though, that stuff will eat anything in it's way and burn any skin it touches...instantly. FYI: USE THE GOOD GLOVES!!!

I will also be doing another 870 of a friend of mine after I get back from gobbler season in a few weeks.
Canned Heat
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:15 pm

After looking at how everyones guns turned out I decided to try it on my old 870 that needed some help!! With the detailed directions and a couple PMs from stump I think it turned out pretty good!! What do you guys think?

Why lose when you can Win?

Proud to be everything Liberals cant stand!!
HowIdo
hunter

Postby xtrema2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:36 pm

i like it a lot ...maybe a bit too many tan colored rushes but a really nice job..id never be able to do it
xtrema2
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:16 pm

I think the gun looks great!!!!!!! Well done sir!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If I was to change anything I would use the color nutmeg to tone down some of the reeds a bit. BUT, if it blends into the area you hunt....well GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to help and hope that you had fun doing it

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby xtrema2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:39 am

yea thats what i was trying to say i guess..not too many reeds just a bit bright...

Hey stumpjumper,

how well does the paint hold up ???i have an express that i dont use a lot but i always put it in my truck along with a pair of waders just in case i feel like going hunting..anyway this gun rusts like crazy and im thinking of painting it but i've seen painted guns that after a couple years look like they've been through a war..anyway just let me know how they hold up..
xtrema2
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks for the positive replies guys! I think the picture makes the reeds look a little brighter than they really are, but I might go back and put some nutmeg over a couple areas. I am finishing spraying the clear acrylic sealer on which should hold that paint for quite some time!! Im just waiting for a nice day to really bake that stuff on, its been raining around here a lot!!
Why lose when you can Win?

Proud to be everything Liberals cant stand!!
HowIdo
hunter

Postby steph87 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:20 pm

hello
my name is steph, i m french and i speak a little bit english :oops: :oops:
so, i beg you pardon for the mistakes i ll make,,,,,the school is very far away

i found this article (remarkable!)when i want to paint my baikal mp153 (wood made) and i have some questions to ask:
_is this paint very good in an old time?
_must i have a "krilon " paint or a classic paint is good too?
_did you sand the metallic parts of your gun before painting?

thank you for the answers
if someone speak french.....he can help me.......the google translation is awful....
bye :smile: :smile:
steph
steph87
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 pm

:welcome:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby steph87 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:55 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
steph
steph87
hunter

Postby cusportsman » Sat May 03, 2008 6:52 am

yes you need to sand the metallic parts before painting, so you can get any rust off, after sanding you will also need to wear a pair of rubber gloves and wipe the gun down with some acetone or paint thinner, this is so you don't get any of the oils from your hands on the gun causing it to rust under the paint

i'm not sure on the paint question

good luck, it's lots of fun
cusportsman
hunter

Postby steph87 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:25 pm

hello
thanks
i ll do my best...
if someone can help me too :thumbsup:
bye
steph
steph87
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon May 05, 2008 6:21 am

xtrema2 wrote:yea thats what i was trying to say i guess..not too many reeds just a bit bright...

Hey stumpjumper,

how well does the paint hold up ???..

If you do a good job during the prep stage, and apply the primer correctly, the paint job will hold up really good for you. I have been hunting with mine for two seasons now. Yes I have dropped it in the boat on many occasions or bumped it here and there. In those areas the over paint was chipped HOWEVER it never chipped thru the primer. All I will need to do is to do a little touch up here and there. When I get time I will try to take some pics of some of the scratches on the gun to show you what it looks like.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon May 05, 2008 6:47 am

steph87 wrote:hello
_must i have a "krilon " paint or a classic paint is good too?

steph

Steph,

First welcome to the site. I hope you learn alot from these guys. About the paint question. I use Krylon paints because they are designed for metal, outdoor situations, and come in the colors needed for camo being that they are flat paints. Any flat paint will work that is designed for outdoor use. I would however believe that you can get Krylon in your country as it is widly used. I`ll do a search and see if they have a distributer around your area.

Look to see if you have a Sherwin-Williams store in your area. You can always order it online as well

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steph87 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:16 pm

hello
first, thank you for helping me, and using easy words,
i don t know this name of store.....but i ll search in my store the same product.....
if you have some pics, thanks a lot

i ll try to take some pics when i ll start my paint
thankw, i ll go to sleep
bye
steph
steph87
hunter

Postby Sinister » Tue May 06, 2008 10:20 am

How often do you guys find yourself having to touch-up your paint job if you are using that krylon paint? The reason I ask is because I was looking at another website where all the guys were using duracoat and the general opinion there was that it was much better than the krylon camo. My only problem with that is that its a little too pricey for my tastes. Us grad students don't exactly get paid much $.

Also anyone happen to know where I can find some adhesive vinyl to cut some stencils out of and stick to my gun when appling the paint? Is this something a hardware store might have or maybe and arts & crafts store?
Sinister
hunter

Postby steph87 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:36 am

hello
i sarted painting last week
i am very happy....the result seduce me
i took some pictures, but my camera is very old, so i ll post some pictures later
bye
steph
steph87
hunter

Postby steph87 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:57 pm

hello
here, some pictures of my gun
thanks a lot
i m very happy
bye
steph

steph87
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Fri May 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Looks great................very nice :thumbsup:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

spr453

Postby dafeist » Wed May 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Heres my spr453 for your critique(s). This thread inspired me to do this the moment I started reading it and saw the job Stumpjumper had done to that Remington. Let me know what you all think. And just so its known, I dont think the camoing is important to ducks or to your hide, I just read about the rusting of these firearms and wanted a cheap way to prevent rust on an inexpensive shotgun.

dafeist
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum