Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Ohsay,
That Parker paint will work fine. I have seen a few local guns guys painted with it. If the colors match up better for you then by all means go for it.

HugoBox,
Nicely done there. Yes the first attempt is always the hardest. I am sure you learned ALOT while doing it. As you continue painting shotguns you will get better and faster. Glad you had fun doing it. That`s what it`s all about.

mydogearl,
Have you noticed a difference in the quality on the second attempt? As I have said the prep work is the most important part. If the base can`t hold the building then whats the point of building. Now that you`ve went back and done a better job on the prep work I think you will be alot happier with the durability.
By the way, NICE job on the Max-4 pattern. You did a good job there sir and I hope you carry her with pride. Oh, and REAL nice turkey brother. Way to go!!!!!!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:17 am

i havent seen much difference as of yet mostly because i have only had it on two turkey hunts and not through the beating of duck season, but i know there will be a difference. if you seen how i painted it the first time on the second page, you'll see that i did the barrell and receiver in khaki and not camo. well when it chipped it was really noticeable having black spots on the khaki. i know it wont chip as much this time and if it does it wont look as bad with whole gun being camo. i also left the checkered grips black because they chipped really easy too. but i think it looks better that way
mydogearl
hunter

Postby HuntersDad » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:22 pm

I just don't have the jewels to do this myself. Anyone want to do it for me?
HuntersDad
hunter

Postby mydogearl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:28 am

what kind of gun are you wanting done? I have done mine twice because I wasn't pleased the first time. If you don't like it, just strip it down with aircraft remover or something similar. You can also do the background camo with the weeds and spray paint and not do the hand paint and it will still look good.
mydogearl
hunter

Humidity

Postby maseh2os » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:54 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to do this paint job to my gun for some time now, but kept putting it off.

Now, with the return of duck season and wet weather, I remember that the main reason I wanted to do it (other than the fact that it looks great) was because every time I take my gun out in the rain, I end up with new spots of rust/pitting. It is an inexpensive gun but I would really like to protect it!!

So my problem is this: I know that you are supposed to do this in warm, DRY weather, but that probably won't be happening around here for another 6 or 7 months! The humidity generally hangs in the 80's throughout winter and spring.

Is there a way I can still do this ASAP? Heat lamps, fans, anything?!

I really don't want to wait that long to get this done, but I don't want the thing to just flake off either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

maseh2os
maseh2os
Newb

Postby Gone Fishin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:57 am

I used this very helpful topic to paint my boat. I just scaled it up a bit.

I wasn't able to do the reeds though, but I like how it looks like this.

Gone Fishin
hunter

Re: Humidity

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:32 pm

maseh2os wrote:Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to do this paint job to my gun for some time now, but kept putting it off.

Now, with the return of duck season and wet weather, I remember that the main reason I wanted to do it (other than the fact that it looks great) was because every time I take my gun out in the rain, I end up with new spots of rust/pitting. It is an inexpensive gun but I would really like to protect it!!

So my problem is this: I know that you are supposed to do this in warm, DRY weather, but that probably won't be happening around here for another 6 or 7 months! The humidity generally hangs in the 80's throughout winter and spring.

Is there a way I can still do this ASAP? Heat lamps, fans, anything?!

I really don't want to wait that long to get this done, but I don't want the thing to just flake off either. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

maseh2os

If you use an enclosed area like a small shop, you can go to Lowes and buy a spot light. Replace the light with a heat lamp bulb and you should be good to go. Just go slow and give enough drying time.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:I used this very helpful topic to paint my boat. I just scaled it up a bit.

I wasn't able to do the reeds though, but I like how it looks like this.

VERY NICE JOB!!!!!! If you can`t paint the reeds you can make a stencil similar to one buy Realfoot and spray the reeds on

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby snocohunter83 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:29 am

Noticed some rust on my barrell this weekend and it's buggin me. Time to fix it. :thumbsup: Think i might attempt this over the next couple days/weekend. I used to work in a body shop so nooks and crannies and paint prep are engrained into my brain. :biggrin:
Take 'er easy, and if she's easy take 'er twice....
snocohunter83
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:43 am

Let us know how it turns out

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby snocohunter83 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Any ideas where to find the american accents paint? Or did you ever find a good alternative. I was at the craft store earlier, but there were so many options i was kinda intimidated.

I'm going to do the prep work and the base/background painting in the meantime.

I've already got a couple buddies who want to pay me to do their guns if mine turns out.
snocohunter83
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Lowes is again carrying the paint you are looking for. If they don`t have them on the shelf they have a color guide and will mix some up for you

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby snocohunter83 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up Stump. The only other thing i'm worried about is the grooves in the stock of my benelli nova just behind the trigger area. I just hope i don't have trouble getting the reeds to flow through them. I just plan on taking my time and doing it right.

One other question, is there any need to thin the acrylic paint for the reeds? If so what do you use? I've only used enamel and urethane paints.
snocohunter83
hunter

Postby snocohunter83 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:41 am

Got her all primed and the background on. Learned some lessons painting the background. It turned out okay though. Now i'm going to go practice making reeds then get to painting.

All the grooves in my nova were a bitch to prep, probably going to be a bitch to paint too :thumbsdown:
snocohunter83
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:54 pm

HAHAHAHA sounds like your having fun with the project sir.

As for the paint thinning, there is no need to thin it down really. But if you wanted to, if it`s a water base paint use a little water and if it`s a oil base, use paint thinner.
Post up some pics so we can share in you accomplishment sir

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby snocohunter83 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Got her all painted up. I played around with thinning the paint for the reeds a little to get the translucent affect. Some of them look like they are closer and others further away. I think the next gun I do will look even better. I found the whole experience to be pretty relaxing actually. I'll post up some pics hopefully tonight, and my final thoughts/observations and the things I learned. I think i'm hooked :thumbsup:
snocohunter83
hunter

Nova pump paint job

Postby LukeT123 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:03 pm

After seeing all the pics on here I decided to paint my nova. I really like it and it is holding up really well. To bad it does not help me shoot better.Image
LukeT123
hunter

Postby snocohunter83 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:09 pm

:thumbsup: man that looks amazing! I'm almost embarrased to post mine now. How'd you get your paint to lay so nice in the grooves in the foregrip area and right behind the trigger guard. All those grooves were givin me hell. I love your background coloring too. Looks super good.
snocohunter83
hunter

Postby LukeT123 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks a lot - there was a lot of good advice on this thread.

I used a really fine brush to get between the grooves. It took a little extra time but I think it was worth it.

I actually took the entire trigger assembly apart. (I do not recommend this at all. I spent as much time putting the trigger assembly back together as I did painting the gun.)
LukeT123
hunter

Re: Nova pump paint job

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:36 pm

LukeT123 wrote:After seeing all the pics on here I decided to paint my nova. I really like it and it is holding up really well. To bad it does not help me shoot better.Image

Damn fine job right there sir. Infact how about I send you my guns to be painted.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby smitty07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 am

How long does this process take i think im gonna do it to my nova everyones results look great. Great Sticky thanks alot.
smitty07
hunter

Postby rkoehler » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Stump, I am getting ready to paint my 870 Express. It is anodized, and there is no rust at all on it. Should I sand the anodized metal parts? If so what grit? Everything else I think I got! Thanks for posting this up, its exactly what I'm looking for. I actually just shot my first duck today and am hooked!
rkoehler
Newb

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Smitty,
Depends on the drying time. I do a gun in a three day time period but I give lots of drying time between colors.

rkoehler,
All of the metal must be oil free and roughed up for the paint to adhere. Use 600 grit and it should be enough. If there is no rust present a lite sanding is all that`s necassary.
Congrates on your first bird. A special moment for sure!!!! Welcome to a very expensive sport

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rkoehler » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Stump! I meant to say parkerized, but I'm sure you figured that out. And yes, I've already found out this is a very expensive sport!
rkoehler
Newb

Postby smitty07 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:11 pm

thanks stump im gonna work onmy here in the next week. By the way how long do you tend to let dry? thanks for the sticky!
smitty07
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum