Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:20 pm

smitty07 wrote:thanks stump im gonna work onmy here in the next week. By the way how long do you tend to let dry? thanks for the sticky!

It all depends. I normaly do mine in the summer time and let them sunbake all day between coats, and bring it inside to cool over night. I have a shop now and use a heat lamp to dry them. Technicaly you can spray them and let them dry for 1 hour then go to the next coat. But I figured that when I was painting them for customers I wanted perfection. Therefore I dried them 24 hours per color.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby smitty07 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm

stump finished my nova what do you think?Image
smitty07
hunter

Postby smitty07 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:29 pm

smitty07
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:46 am

smitty07 wrote:stump finished my nova what do you think

Nova, what Nova :huh: :huh: :huh: I don`t see a darn thing there.

OH you mean that badarse looking shotgun you painted up so pretty :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fine job sir...fine job.

It is great to see guys doing their own shotguns. It makes it personable and one of a kind. A true treasure to hold onto for years to come. I never taught in a million years this thread would still be helping my fellow duck hunters out
Way to go smitty :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby smitty07 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am

thanks stump it looks better from a distance haha the reeds arent as smooth and straight as i wish they were. Thanks again for the sticky, my brothers want me to do your shot guns now.
smitty07
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:34 pm

If your not as happy with the reeds as you would like...don`t try so hard by going slow. Learn to fick your wrist and to lightly pull the brush toward you.
As long as the ducks don`t complain your good to go

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Durability

Postby SouthCoastMudder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Guys I am wanting to paint my shotgun and I am wondering how quickly it wears around the slide of a pump shotgun???
SouthCoastMudder
Newb

Postby rkoehler » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Well I recently finished mine, and it does rub a little where the wood meets the magazine tube, but that is going to happen with any camo paint job as someone else here already said. It's not down to the primer, so I think it'll be ok. You can also sand down the inside of your fore-end just a little to soften the hard edge like stump did. Thanks again stump for all the great info! Mine didn't come out as good as I'd like, (reeds aren't as wispy looking as yours) but I don't think the ducks will complain!
rkoehler
Newb

another

Postby aeonstar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:04 pm

well here is my first go at it! Thanks so much STUMP for the post and the how to! i am looking forward to my next gun. This was a very beat up super90 that with a sure cycle and some camo paint has found a new lease on life!!!!
aeonstar
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:44 am

Very nicely done star. Geat to hear that the old shotgun has a new lease on life. I hope both of you have a great season

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckcommanderfinstr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:18 am

Stump,you inspired me! :thumbsup: I have this 1100 that I stick camo tape on every year & every year it rusts under the tape. It was one of those 'parkerized'/synth models that you could actually hear it rust if it was a quiet morning in the blind! :rofl: Anyway I followed your lead & sprayed the b*#ch. I took a couple of pics with it on different camo patterns & the gun is definitly well hid. :yes:

Thanks for posting this thread,
Pete.

This is my makeshift spray booth-It's -25C here(about 5F ?) so painting outside is a nogo. :no: There is a fan in the pipe that takes all the fumes outside & some L.E.D. lights inside the box from some free flashlights(promos) that work just fine. I might camo some other stuff,too. Hmmm,what needs a paint job?
"Honey! Can you send the dog downstairs for a sec!" :help:
I hunt.....because the voices in my head tell me to.
duckcommanderfinstr
hunter

Postby gp » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:55 am

I hope you don't mind, I wanted to see this one a little better. Looks great.

gp
hunter

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby cjg » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:57 am

Just finished mine, gotta leave it out in the sun for awhile.

camogun.JPG
cjg
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:13 pm

I am always amazed at the fine work I continue to see here guys. All of you are doing a top notch job...hats off to you!!
Thanks for sharing your pics, I TRULEY enjoy seeing you work :bow: :bow: :bow:

CJG :clapping: :clapping:

DCF :grooving: :grooving:

And the boat camo is simply sick sir!! Reminds me of the time I spent 80+ hours doing mine :eek:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:35 pm

I had trouble finding the paints for the brush work so I used spray paint, sprayed it on a piece of cardboard and dipped the brush in that. It was nice and thin and covered good.
cjg
hunter

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Stump, Looks like you've started a painting revolution my man :bow: .....Think that Uncle Sam would get angry if I were to MAX-4 the 'OL M(usket)16 A-2? :sniper: Hope All is well back in NC, I'm sitting over here 2 more months trying to get a tan!! :grooving:
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:33 am

1FowlHNTR wrote:Stump, Looks like you've started a painting revolution my man :bow: .....Think that Uncle Sam would get angry if I were to MAX-4 the 'OL M(usket)16 A-2? :sniper: Hope All is well back in NC, I'm sitting over here 2 more months trying to get a tan!! :grooving:

I been there my friend and know Uncle Sam personally....I think he would be proud to carry a custom paint job, but we`ll have to come up with a desert pattern first :yes:
2 months is short in the sceam of life. And everyone here will be jealous of your tan
Be safe my friend and tell all the other Joe`s we wish them well and send all of our prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish you a safe a speedy return to the good ol USA!!!!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 12ganooby » Mon May 25, 2009 3:16 pm

You all have inspired me gratly. So much that I started painting my 1989 Browning BPS 12 Ga with synthetic stock. So far I'm just at the primer stage. Hopefully I can figure out how to post photos and I'll show you guys the finished gun. You guys did some beautiful work, thanks for showing it off!
fall on your knees in the muck guy
12ganooby
hunter

Postby 12ganooby » Fri May 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Hey Guys
Well I've finished my paint job. It didn't turn out as expertly done as yours but her's some photos( I hope-first time to post photos):

Hope the hpotos psot.
Thanks guys for all the help and I plan on doing more. It was great fun :beer:
12ganooby
hunter

Postby 12ganooby » Fri May 29, 2009 6:42 pm

OK I think I've got the photo posting
Try this

Ok maybe I don't-can't make the photo smaller-oh well more to work on eh?
12ganooby
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun May 31, 2009 12:14 pm

Well hell, I think you did a fine job sir. Each paint job is unique to the artist. She will work just right for you

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 12ganooby » Sun May 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks Stump
I wanna try again though. The quality of your paint job and the others is very professional looking. The next time I have plans to mix my own paint for the light colors and maybe use a template that I cut out of cardboard or plastic instead of relying on brushes so much. I want to camo paint my son in law's 870 if he'll let me. It was great fun and I thank you very much for sharing with us your great talent. :bow:
12ganooby
hunter

Postby 12ganooby » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Stump and all you other camo artisits.
I couldn't stand the paint job on my BPS so I sanded it all down and repainted it. Here's a photo:

12ganooby
hunter

Postby Sinister » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:32 am

Did a little painting on my 870 this weekend:
Sinister
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:07 pm

12ganooby and sinister :bow: :bow: EXCELLANT jobs guys. I`m very impressed. Both paint jobs are unique to their owners and very well done!!! I hope that the paint job serves you both well this coming season. Be careful to remember where you placed them in the blind though. You could easily lose those bad boys

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum