Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby 12ganooby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks Stump.
This post is gonna stay around a long time! :hammer:
fall on your knees in the muck guy
12ganooby
hunter

Postby Sinister » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Thank you. I originally was going to try to follow your instructions but I figure I would probably screw up the part using the paint brush. And since I also use my shotgun for deer and turkeys I just ended up going with the digital camo, didn't have to worry about screwing up anything with a paintbrush that way. In hindsight I wish I had just a little of the black in there as well, but I think it still looks ok with the krylon khaki, OD green, and brown.
Sinister
hunter

Postby 12ganooby » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:02 am

How did you make the digital pattern?
12ganooby
hunter

Postby Sinister » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:30 am

Like this:
http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_peelnspray.html

only I didn't use duracoat, I used the Krylon spray cans. And I stopped after step 5 because the female templates would be a pain with spray cans instead of an air brush, and then just did a clear coat. My base was the khaki, then the brown and last was the OD green.
Sinister
hunter

Postby Jager » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 pm

MP-153 Baikal before this past weekendImageDuringImageDuringImageMP-153 half way done (this is probably where I should've stopped and sealed the paintImageDone projectImageanotherImageall in all it was a fun project that I've been wanting to do, now I hope the heat does not burn or peel off the paint. I'm not too satisfied with my reeds but what can I expect for a first time? I think I may do my Beretta 390 next.You openion, suggestions are appreciated.Regards.

sorry, not sure why the pics are cut in half, maybe if the mod can be kind enough to fix them?!

thanks.
Jager
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:52 am

Jager,

You didn`t do a bad job at at sir. You should have seen my first one...not at all pretty, but it worked.
As for the paint peeling when she gets hot..ain`t gonna happen. I`ve done enough testing when I started the project to tell you that. On your paint job, seeing as how you asked for suggestions, I have two. First rememmber that when you do the overspray go lite. Less is more as the gun will basically turn black with to much back ground. Yours looked great in the pics until the last colors where it got to much and turned dark. But I`ll tell you, before that you were doing a darn sweet job! On the reeds, it takes practice. You have to set the brush tip down and let it happen. Don`t worry it they aren`t straight or perfect. On the second color (nutmeg) go softer. That color should blend with the Taupe you first applied. Again practice the stroke without paint to get the feel.
I think you did a fine job on your first one and look forward to your next. Remember to go lite on the colors
Oh on the pics, you need to resize them on your host site

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 12ganooby » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Just a reminder-Don't use Shotgun Scrubber Solvent/Degreaser on or near your painted gun. It will ruin the finish. I had just cleaned a blued gun with Gun Scrubber and some got on my table-set my camo painted gun on it without thinking and wham-ruined paint where it touched.
12ganooby
hunter

Postby sdkidaho » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:40 pm

If any of you want a copy of the instructions I've put them in .pdf format as well as a Word document. They can be downloaded here:

PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/1g5qrd6lu6

Word Doc: http://www.box.net/shared/r16bp6bm1j

Of course, all credit still goes to Stump - I'm just making it easy for others to have a copy next to them while they paint their guns.

Enjoy.
If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
sdkidaho
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:23 am

GREAT idea SDkidaho!!!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby if it flies it dies » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:20 pm

finally got around to doing mine a couple weeks ago.

I also was not to thrilled with my reeds but they are kinda growing on me. everyone else says it looks great and my wife thought I bought a new gun.
if it flies it dies
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:08 pm

You have a great thread you have here stumpjumper. I refer people to it a few times a month when asked about painting shotguns.

Previously I sprayed my gun and put poly over it, and it worked well and held well. Later, I altered my stock some and therefore sanded through that paint job in some places and have intended to redo it. I have finally finished customizing my gun stock so now I ready to paint but I am having a heck of a time finding those American Accent Acrylic Latex paints, actually I have been looking for over a month now on an off and am about at wit's end. As far as I can tell they are not being made anymore?

I stripped the old paint last week, primed yesterday, and did the spray today. I don't have time to keep looking now, season opens the 10th! I could seal it as is but I'd sure love to try the brush strokes as planned.

If anyone knows of a place to find those original 3 colors -taupe/soft wheat, nutmeg, hunt club green all in satin acrylic latex 8 oz cans, I would love to know it. I tried AC Moore, Michaels, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and some local hardware chains, no joy anywhere. I can find them online but only in full quarts and I'd rather not drop close to $50 dollars for the few ounces I will use. If there is no source for 8 oz cans, what is the best alternative way to get those colors and paint type? Thanks in advance.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:58 am

FF

Have you tried the Rustoleum website? You may be able to get them from them directly. Also talk to the people in the paint department at Lowes. I had them mix me some in the 8oz cans once. When I was painting guns I stoked up but since moving on to other things I haven`t kept up with my supply.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby FullandFuller » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 am

I'm gonna try Lowe's next. We'll see. I read on some painting websites that the "blue borg" does not match custom colors anymore. I checked Rustoleum's website a while back and it says they won't sell retail but do list stores that can custom order their products, minimum one case size. Did not call them though. When I do find a match of colors and in a satin acrylic latex, I'll post it up.

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby Bayport » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:59 am

I painted my 870 and it came out great.
Thanks for all the tips.
One thing though, I would suggest NOT painting the Magazine.
I had to sand down much of the paint so i could rack it.
(Maybe that was mentioned inthis thread and i missed it.)
Bayport
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:44 pm

The local lowe's will color match but will only mix exterior paints in quart size or larger. Interior paints they will mix in 8 oz cans but they said it would be prone to crack in temp change from 20 F to 70 F. I ended up buying three of their satin spray paints and spraying them into the cap and then brushing them on.

rustoleum auto primer - 2 thin coats
krylon khaki - 2 thin coats
rustoleum brown and green camo ultra flats
Lowe's valspar spray paints in satin, applied with angle brushes
-warm gray
-urban beige
-hunter green
flat black rustoleum oil paint I had
plaid acrylic sealer in matte - four thin coats.
I probably could have gone with a little more differentiation between the warm gray and urban biege...maybe cappucino to replace one or the other.

I am no artist, and in fact I despise painting. I don't have the patience for it or the hand. It came out passably well even though I could not get consistent, thin lines like some of you guys. On some of the surfaces I left the stock rough for grip, and those places did not take the brushed reeds well; they appear wavy. Still, it is amazing the difference in look between the background only and the whole shebang with painted on reads. Amazing in a good way... It is something I never thought to do before seeing stumpjumper demonstrate it. Thank you stump! You've helped a lot of people.

I went ahead and did the outside of the bolt, trigger housing, mag cap... pretty much everything visible except the trigger, safety, limbsaver, and poly choke. These pics are after it has been hunted maybe 10 times. It has been dropped more than once already and I don't see any dings. There is a chip off the rear of the bolt which happened after about 20 shots at the range, as I expected. Had that happen on my original paint job and didn't learn that lesson. :no:

No flash used in pics.
Shade
Sun

I even did my "puffer" barrel, which I use with subsonic loads for crows.

For comparison, here is a pic of my old paint job. It was brown over khaki, plus a few leaf stencils with green, with a poly sealer over it. Honestly this looked fine for my 453 but I had to redo the paint after the stock modifications I've made. Either way I had to completely degrease and tape off so much of the gun, so I figured what the heck, may as well go all the way. I do think the acrylic sealer is less shiny than the poly was.

All in all I am happy, but I wish I had the steady hand some of you guys do!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Bayport wrote:I painted my 870 and it came out great.
Thanks for all the tips.
One thing though, I would suggest NOT painting the Magazine.
I had to sand down much of the paint so i could rack it.
(Maybe that was mentioned inthis thread and i missed it.)

Let's see it, I'm sure it looks great. 've seen it both ways on a pump, but the mag exterior cannot be painted on a gas auto for sure. I'd tape it off for a pump as well because of the friction it will create plus it would likely wear through in streaks in a few hundred rounds anyway.

BTW, if anyone wants their pics hosted I'll put them up on my flickr account. I know it is a pain in the butt to start a new account just to post a few pics up. Just throw me a PM with the request and your email address.

FullandFuller
hunter

Followed steps to painting a shotgun heres the pics

Postby lethalinjection » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 pm

I followed the steps posted previously and I must say it turned out pretty well. I masked off my charles daily logo so that it would still be visible after the painting. One Picture is my only practice attempt on the old faithful daisy BB gun.
Attachments
100_0659.jpg
100_0655.jpg
100_0652.jpg
my only practice attempt
"you hit 'em with that sit down call right there and those woodies will come swiming on in... hey, you do what you want to...I'm just sayin you'll kill more ducks that way" Phil Robertson
..."I ain't above it" GreenHeadTew
lethalinjection
hunter

Postby IK13 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am

I wish I had the patience, hand, time, place and the cajones to do that.
You guys are showing some great work here :bow:
Been wanting to do that to my duck gun for a while. Just doesn't seem right to me to spend on a professional camo dip job + shipping etc. almost as much as I paid for the Baikal MP-153. That black howitzer sure sticks out in the marshes...

At least one of the places, that offer camo dipping advises against using DEET,, because it will remove paint. Does anyone know if this method is "DEET-proof" ?
IK13
hunter

Postby OutdoorMasters » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Stump how much would you charge for a Remington Sportsman 12. g Shotgun.
Thanks!
Live, Love, Explore
OutdoorMasters
hunter

Postby adirondacker8 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Nice jobs gents. Its satisfying to produce your own creation, huh?
Repainted mine to match the boat I refurbished.
Attachments
broozerducks12-20-08 (375 x 500).jpg
sacamocropped.jpg
sacamocropped.jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
sea ark post1-1 (450 x 600).jpg
new grass2 (600 x 450).jpg
new grass1 (600 x 450).jpg
adirondacker8
Newb

Postby don taylor » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:08 pm

I figured I'd toss mine up.

Condor%20and%20mallard%2012-5.jpg
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 pm

OutdoorMasters wrote:Stump how much would you charge for a Remington Sportsman 12. g Shotgun.
Thanks!

Sorry sir, but I do not paint guns for folks anymore. I think that the guys that have painted theirs would agree that the time involved it just isn`t worth the $125 to do it.

To those that have painted their guns :bow: :clapping: :grooving: EXCELLANT jobs for sure. I am sure that if and when you do another it will be even better. The first time around you learn alot. For those that are interested in trying this...read the main post 2 times. Understand what you are trying to accomplish before you get into it. Alot of guys have made basic mistakes and had to sand the gun back down.

Congratulations guys, and again, I am glad to have helped. I NEVER taught this thread would have been used so much or still be going this long

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lunker30 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Hello guys, first time poster - long time lurker.

Stump - Question for you - Where can you buy the Taupe, Nutmeg, and Hunters Club Green at? I've been to my local Walmart and Lowes with no such luck unless I didnt look hard enough. Where did you pick yours up? I'm all finished with the gun as far as the background camo, I'm just needing to brush the reeds on and apply the sealer and hopefully it turns out close to yours.

Thanks in advance.
lunker30
Newb

Postby assateague » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:07 pm

I just finished mine this weekend, and if I could I would post pics. It turned out great! Lunker- I couldn't find the paints either, but Home Depot was clearancing out the pint jars of Behr paint, so it worked out better. I got three pints of Behr flat in root beer, river clay, and alligator, or some such nonsense. The pints were only 2.99- cheaper than the flat black pint of rustoleum I bought. I think the sample sizes are cheaper even if not clearance, and you can pick any colors you want from the wall. For the record, a pint is enough to do about 100 shotguns! Like I said, I'm VERY pleased. PM me lunker if you have any questions bout the paint. Wish I would have done this years ago!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby lunker30 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:24 pm

I was able to find all the paint except for the Taupe so I went with an almond color. I'm in the final stages of this project as I am in the drying stages before i put the sealer on. Thanks for the information.

Definately the hardest part for me was the reed detail. I think it might of been my brushes (cheap) that were giving me the most problems.

Here is a couple of photos of what I've done so far. I'll post the finished product when I am done.

Thanks again to stump for this step by step project directions. Time consuming to say the least but the finished product will something everyone can be proud of.
Attachments
detail1.JPG
camo1.JPG
lunker30
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum