The local lowe's will color match but will only mix exterior paints in quart size or larger. Interior paints they will mix in 8 oz cans but they said it would be prone to crack in temp change from 20 F to 70 F. I ended up buying three of their satin spray paints and spraying them into the cap and then brushing them on.
rustoleum auto primer - 2 thin coats
krylon khaki - 2 thin coats
rustoleum brown and green camo ultra flats
Lowe's valspar spray paints in satin, applied with angle brushes
flat black rustoleum oil paint I had
plaid acrylic sealer in matte - four thin coats.
I probably could have gone with a little more differentiation between the warm gray and urban biege...maybe cappucino to replace one or the other.
I am no artist, and in fact I despise painting. I don't have the patience for it or the hand. It came out passably well even though I could not get consistent, thin lines like some of you guys. On some of the surfaces I left the stock rough for grip, and those places did not take the brushed reeds well; they appear wavy. Still, it is amazing the difference in look between the background only and the whole shebang with painted on reads. Amazing in a good way... It is something I never thought to do before seeing stumpjumper demonstrate it. Thank you stump! You've helped a lot of people.
I went ahead and did the outside of the bolt, trigger housing, mag cap... pretty much everything visible except the trigger, safety, limbsaver, and poly choke. These pics are after it has been hunted maybe 10 times. It has been dropped more than once already and I don't see any dings. There is a chip off the rear of the bolt which happened after about 20 shots at the range, as I expected. Had that happen on my original paint job and didn't learn that lesson.
No flash used in pics.
I even did my "puffer" barrel, which I use with subsonic loads for crows.
For comparison, here is a pic of my old paint job. It was brown over khaki, plus a few leaf stencils with green, with a poly sealer over it. Honestly this looked fine for my 453 but I had to redo the paint after the stock modifications I've made. Either way I had to completely degrease and tape off so much of the gun, so I figured what the heck, may as well go all the way. I do think the acrylic sealer is less shiny than the poly was.
All in all I am happy, but I wish I had the steady hand some of you guys do!