Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby assateague » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Here's mine- the paint job was done over Christmas and was my present to myself. Took probably 4-5 hours all told, but I'm happy!
gun.jpg
gun2.jpg
gun3.jpg
gun4.jpg
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby quackstar77 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:11 pm

My try on a brand new remington spr 453. it was all black when i bought it...It has about 10 coats of paint on it and it is very durable...Thanks guys
Attachments
IMG00385-20091223-2112.jpeg
quackstar77
Newb

Postby publius » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 pm

How does it hold up to cleaning solvents?
publius
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

publius wrote:How does it hold up to cleaning solvents?

Don't know, yet, but I'm going to try to not let them get on it. It's just latex paint and acrylic sealer, so I'd imagine most cleaners (not oils) would take it off. Really it shouldn't get on much- a little at end of barrel or around ejection port. No need to clean the paint covered portions.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby b-144 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Amazing wanting to do mine now, but just one question how much of a difference is there between a pump and semi for painting. and would a rem 870 be pretty easy?
Gun Control- Using both hands.
b-144
hunter

Postby MuleyMan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:58 pm

The pic at the top of this page is an 870, shouldn't be any harder than an auto.
MuleyMan
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:38 pm

MuleyMan wrote:The pic at the top of this page is an 870, shouldn't be any harder than an auto.

You're right it was pretty easy. It took the most time to get the pins out of the trigger housing. The only reason it took me that long was because I probably overdid the thinness of the coats. Really didn't want any runs, so I put the coats on WAY lighter than I had to. There's 5 very light coats of the base coat, but I used the fast dry Krylon ultra flat, so only about 20 minutes between coats. Could've been less, but it was kinda cold Christmas Eve, so dried slow. I used the small sample jars of Behr flat ($2.19 at HD- cheaper than premixed and still a ton left over) that I got mixed in colors I picked out of the paint sample rack. Worked great- I only wish I hadn't used so much/any olive green during the second step. You can see on my coat that the gun cam eout a little too green. Should've stuck with brown and khaki. Oh, well. I'm still pleased.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby b-144 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:10 pm

What did you use to plug the pin holes and stuff like that? Looks great by the way
b-144
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 am

b-144 wrote:What did you use to plug the pin holes and stuff like that? Looks great by the way

Thanks! I didn't plug the holes. The coats were light enough that I just twisted the pins back in. If the paints too thick it might be a problem. Trust me- I'm no artist. I found the best thing for the reeds is to not use too much paint (especially the black) and don't be afraid to push down on the brush. This was on a budget, so I had one of those little kid brush sets from Walmart- bout $3, and they worked fine.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby b-144 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:41 am

Ok sounds good i'm planning on starting mine after the crow season.
b-144
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:51 pm

b-144 wrote:What did you use to plug the pin holes and stuff like that? Looks great by the way

Cut a piece of masking tape about 1" long. Roll it length wise and insert it into the pin holes

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby b-144 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:49 pm

i like that idea need to remember that
b-144
hunter

Postby b-144 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:44 pm

How do you clean the outside of the gun after you paint it or do you?
b-144
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:25 am

b-144 wrote:How do you clean the outside of the gun after you paint it or do you?

Simply wipe it down with a clean rag. No oil needed!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby b-144 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:31 pm

ok will do can't wait to paint mine
b-144
hunter

Postby ArkArcher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Ok guys. Ya'll have push me over and I'm going to tackle my shotgun this summer. I'm going to wait till my warranty on my shotgun is up first however. Just in case ya know. :thumbsup: Anyway, I borrowed this picture from FullandFuller on here (hope you don't mind!) and customized it to what my gun is going to look like. I have the same SPR 453 that FullandFuller does. I'm going to leave the two sections (one on the forearm and one on the pistol grip portion) the origional black. I think it will handle wearing better and also I just love the look it gives the gun!!! :biggrin: What do ya'll think? Again, this is not my gun, just a representation of what I hope it will look like.

Also, will gun scrubber work to remove all the oils? I know it seems to remove all the oil and leaves that chalky residue like stump was talking about. Anyway, just wanted to know before I started this. thanks gang! :grooving:

Jared
ArkArcher
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 am

Jared,
mydogearl did something like that. His post is back on page 7, here is the pic - it looks sharp.

I was thinking about trying that look with a spray on rubber coating, but I figured it would probably degrade pretty fast.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby ArkArcher » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

FullandFuller wrote:Jared,
mydogearl did something like that. His post is back on page 7, here is the pic - it looks sharp.

I was thinking about trying that look with a spray on rubber coating, but I figured it would probably degrade pretty fast.

Ok you talked me into it. I'll do it. :grooving: I was just looking at mydogearl's job a few minutes ago and thinking how awesome it looked. :bow:
ArkArcher
hunter

Postby b-144 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Just a couple questions, before I decide with what to go with, painting or camo kit. If done right, how long will this last, and do i have to worry about rusting underneath?
b-144
hunter

Postby joez » Thu May 20, 2010 4:39 am

I have a couple of shot guns, but I really like my stun gun.
joez
Newb

Postby Mallard_Warrior » Sun May 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Looks like a summer project.
Mallard_Warrior
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:33 am

Anyone ever done a rifle stock? I have a Browning A-bolt synthetic stock that I was wanting to get dipped but this might be a much more fun project. The only thing is I don't think I would want it in a duck pattern. Any suggestions on how to paint a break up pattern or something like that?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby IK13 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Did my MP-153 last season. Took my time to do it right. Still had a few really small run ins, but who cares.
Involved, but not complicated thing to do.

Thanks again Stump!

IK13
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:31 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Anyone ever done a rifle stock? I have a Browning A-bolt synthetic stock that I was wanting to get dipped but this might be a much more fun project. The only thing is I don't think I would want it in a duck pattern. Any suggestions on how to paint a break up pattern or something like that?

Look at the nat gear one that someone did on here then add some leaves and maybe a few branches, the branches would use the same process as the grass blades do I would imagine.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Re:

Postby duckdozer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:40 pm

DUCKSHOT wrote:Well Stumpjumper here is the final product with a limbsaver recoil pad added.
For all who dont know, this is an 870 Express with a wooden stock.

here is the nat gear
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum