Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby 35wailin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Here is mine. I skipped the reeds because I use this gun for more than just duck hunting. This one is 23 years old and I had a black plastic stock on it.
DSCF8858.JPG


What do you think?
35wailin
hunter
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: northern Ontario


Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby Jonathan Allen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 pm

I have just painted my shotgun and i really like how the background came out. I am having alot of trouble trying to paint the reeds on. I have been practicing on paper but i cant seem to get the hang of it. I am using some acrylic paint from my local hobby store. Can i use that or do i need a different kind of paint?
Jonathan Allen
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby FullandFuller » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:14 pm

35wailin wrote:Here is mine. I skipped the reeds because I use this gun for more than just duck hunting. This one is 23 years old and I had a black plastic stock on it.
DSCF8858.JPG


What do you think?



Looks great...I first painted mine without reeds and was perfectly happy with it. I would not have bothered repainting if I was not forced to due to gun alterations.



Jonathan Allen wrote:I have just painted my shotgun and i really like how the background came out. I am having alot of trouble trying to paint the reeds on. I have been practicing on paper but i cant seem to get the hang of it. I am using some acrylic paint from my local hobby store. Can i use that or do i need a different kind of paint?


I don't know much about paint so can't really help. I used spray paint pooled up in the cap and found it difficult to apply with brush for the reeds. It worked, but was runny and not ideal. Later I learned home depot has the specified paint type in 8 oz sample cans...I had gone to Lowe's and they would only do quarts as the smallest size in exterior paint.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

Image
FullandFuller
hunter
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Jonathan Allen wrote:I have just painted my shotgun and i really like how the background came out. I am having alot of trouble trying to paint the reeds on. I have been practicing on paper but i cant seem to get the hang of it. I am using some acrylic paint from my local hobby store. Can i use that or do i need a different kind of paint?


The best way to do it is not be shy about it. They don't really look very good anyway until you add the shading (the black and dark brown). I was hesitant at first, and the first few reeds didn't look that good until I said "screw it", it was getting late, I was tired, and just let the brush go. You will want to use a shorter, NOT round brush, though. I got the $1.97 set of 20 brushes from the toy section in Walmart, and used the one that worked best for me. I also used the latex paint samples from Home Depot mentioned above, not acrylic.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby ArkArcher » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:47 am

Ok so I'm still am very tempted to do this to my SPR 453. :biggrin: I want to again bring up the "how does it respond to cleaning solvents?" question. I know its been asked and on the outside it just needs to be wiped down with a rag. But what about when you use a cleaning agent on the inside of the barrel and internal parts and some gets on the painted part? Will it cause any problems?? Just wondering if anyone has had and problems. Thanks!
ArkArcher
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby duckdozer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:09 pm

shouldn't have any problem if you let it cure and hit it with some lacquer
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: crashing through the lies and disinformation

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby ArkArcher » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:42 am

Well I started on my gun last night. :) Took it all apart and hit it with some Gun Scrubber and got the oils off, then hit it with some steel wool. Then blew it off and wiped it down good with mineral spirirts. :) Boy it feels strang rubbing your gun down with steel wool! ha Got it hung and primed last night. Gave it 2 thin coats and didn't get any runs and everything is covered. Hitting it with the reed color tonight. :yes:
ArkArcher
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby duckgodliaison » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:10 pm

I did my buddies cowling this way.........I just found this thread and noticed it was close to the same method. I was going for the Max-4 look.
Attachments
my max4.jpg
max4.jpg
duckgodliaison
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby duckdozer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 pm

ArkArcher wrote:Well I started on my gun last night. :) Took it all apart and hit it with some Gun Scrubber and got the oils off, then hit it with some steel wool. Then blew it off and wiped it down good with mineral spirirts. :) Boy it feels strang rubbing your gun down with steel wool! ha Got it hung and primed last night. Gave it 2 thin coats and didn't get any runs and everything is covered. Hitting it with the reed color tonight. :yes:



show us some pics when she is finished
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
User avatar
duckdozer
hunter
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am
Location: crashing through the lies and disinformation

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby ArkArcher » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:08 pm

duckdozer wrote:
ArkArcher wrote:Well I started on my gun last night. :) Took it all apart and hit it with some Gun Scrubber and got the oils off, then hit it with some steel wool. Then blew it off and wiped it down good with mineral spirirts. :) Boy it feels strang rubbing your gun down with steel wool! ha Got it hung and primed last night. Gave it 2 thin coats and didn't get any runs and everything is covered. Hitting it with the reed color tonight. :yes:



show us some pics when she is finished


Will do! I just did the background camo part last night. Looking good so far!!! :yes: Tonight I'm doing the reeds. :grooving:
ArkArcher
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby Pale Horse » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Stump really does some great work what I like about it is say you hunt around the country or world in fact. You just paint your stick for your AO where you are going to hunt and I thought I was the only guy that used clumps of real grass for templates Regards and nice work Kim
Pale Horse
hunter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 pm

duckgodliaison wrote:I did my buddies cowling this way.........I just found this thread and noticed it was close to the same method. I was going for the Max-4 look.


That thing looks fantastic!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby Bowhuntermitch » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:36 am

I did my barrel a Matte Black.. the paint turned out very good, and i finished it with a krylon matte enamel.. and within a hunt the paint began to chip off, what did i do wrong? Did i not let the enamel harden enough?
Bowhuntermitch
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:13 am

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby alekasas » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:36 am

Hi guys! I am from greece so my english are not gonna be good :(. So i have the Baikal MP-153 shotgun and i want to camo paint. I have a question about shotguns barrel. To go camo paint i need to scratch her with sandpaper first? I must remove all the color from the barrel? Maybe this is dangerous for future rust?

And then the steps are:
1)PRIMER
2)desire color and camo painting
3)Acrylic sealer

Plz help me because i wanna so bad to paint this shotgun like you dit! Awesome job by the way.
alekasas
hunter
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby alekasas » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Plz guys help me i wanna do this like madman!! plzzzzz!!!!!
alekasas
hunter
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 am

alekasas wrote:Plz guys help me i wanna do this like madman!! plzzzzz!!!!!



PM sent sir

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
User avatar
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: NC

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby IK13 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 pm

alekasas wrote:Hi guys! I am from greece so my english are not gonna be good :(. So i have the Baikal MP-153 shotgun and i want to camo paint. I have a question about shotguns barrel. To go camo paint i need to scratch her with sandpaper first? I must remove all the color from the barrel? Maybe this is dangerous for future rust?

And then the steps are:
1)PRIMER
2)desire color and camo painting
3)Acrylic sealer

Plz help me because i wanna so bad to paint this shotgun like you dit! Awesome job by the way.


That's what I did with my MP-153. You can see how it turned out a page or so back.
Sanded all the bluing off and primed.

The only thing is - for some reason (gun oil, sweat ?) the acrylic sealer (I think) got somewhat sticky on the stock and around the forearm. Doesn't go away with cleaning with soap and water or the "green works".
As far as I can tell I don't sweat (too much) acid :)
IK13
hunter
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby FullandFuller » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:38 pm

alekasas wrote:Hi guys! I am from greece so my english are not gonna be good :(. So i have the Baikal MP-153 shotgun and i want to camo paint. I have a question about shotguns barrel. To go camo paint i need to scratch her with sandpaper first? I must remove all the color from the barrel? Maybe this is dangerous for future rust?

And then the steps are:
1)PRIMER
2)desire color and camo painting
3)Acrylic sealer

Plz help me because i wanna so bad to paint this shotgun like you dit! Awesome job by the way.


stump is the expert at this so I would listen well to his advice.

It is critical to make sure that all grease and oil is removed before the primer coat. That includes fingerprint oil, so be careful or wear gloves. Coffee filters are a good, lint free material for the last wipe down. The adhesion of that first layer is the most important. Also it is important to allow the paints to dry between coats. Good luck with your paint job, Alekasas.



On my gun, I would say the paint job and spray lacquer held up pretty well over the first year. No tackiness. No chips that I can see, but there is a little wear showing at the forearm/receiver junction where I carry the gun. I get bluing wear at the exact same place on a pump or auto from carrying, so it doesn't surprise me.

I altered the comb a bit on my gun this summer. I wanted it a little bit longer that I made it initially last summer, and a hair lower. It was very easy to "patch" the paint job after alterations with the same paint process. I was short one color so I used black instead of mud brown, causing a slight shading difference if you look closely. I feather sanded the edges adjoining my changes, down to the primer, and it was clear I had good adhesion all the way down through the colors in the original paint job. Another thing I changed was that I painted the rib flat black instead of the camo. I put two coats of the same spray lacquer over the patches and rib. A couple weeks later, and there is no difference in feel or sheen between the original and the patch areas.

I gotta say, it is a real nice, almost foolproof system that stump has shared here. :beer:
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

Image
FullandFuller
hunter
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby alekasas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:18 am

FullandFuller wrote:
alekasas wrote: Plz help me because i wanna so bad to paint this shotgun like you dit! Awesome job by the way.


stump is the expert at this so I would listen well to his advice.

It is critical to make sure that all grease and oil is removed before the primer coat. That includes fingerprint oil, so be careful or wear gloves. Coffee filters are a good, lint free material for the last wipe down. The adhesion of that first layer is the most important. Also it is important to allow the paints to dry between coats. Good luck with your paint job, Alekasas.
I gotta say, it is a real nice, almost foolproof system that stump has shared here. :beer:



Thank you vert much! Plz can you tell me, the colors you used is normaly spray colors or are colors specifically for cars painting?
If i use normaly spray colors its should be a problem?
And 1 last think... How much money you spend for your paint job?
Thanks again!!
alekasas
hunter
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:26 am

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby FullandFuller » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:49 pm

alekasas wrote:Thank you vert much! Plz can you tell me, the colors you used is normaly spray colors or are colors specifically for cars painting?
If i use normaly spray colors its should be a problem?
And 1 last think... How much money you spend for your paint job?
Thanks again!!


Alekasas,

The Primer coat can be Automotive spray primer. I used Rustoleum brand. This primer does not cost much more than standard primer, here in the U.S. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=37 This is less than $5 a can here.

The camo colors I used and many people use are "camouflage" Flat or Ultra Flat spray paints. They are not specifically for car painting. They are actually made for hunters to camouflage equipment and blinds. Krylon and Rustoleum are two of the options. Paints that are satin or gloss instead of flat will be very shiny in comparison.
http://www.krylon.com/products/camoufla ... echnology/ These are less than $5 a can here.

I used the same Acrylic Sealer as stumpjumper shows in his initial post. That particular brand may be hard for you to find in Greece. In my last post I referred to it as a lacquer, because it cleans up with lacquer thinner, but honestly I don't know how it is classified. They call it "clear acrylic sealer". http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetai ... D=CS200304 This was about $7 a can.

If I had to buy everything - primer, camo paints, brushes, brush paints, and acrylic sealer - it would probably be about $40-50 to buy here in Pennsylvania. There would be enough to paint 3 or 4 guns easily, but it would be hard to spend less to paint just a single gun.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

Image
FullandFuller
hunter
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby mikebenghp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm considering giving this a whirl but I have a question. Will the process be any different for a gun that doesnt have a blued barrel or receiver? I have an 835 with a matte finish. Its more of a grey color and not what I would call smooth.
mikebenghp
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby 35wailin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 pm

My 870 Express has a black pebbly finish. I just made sure there was no rust, degreaser it and primed it. So far, so good.
35wailin
hunter
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: northern Ontario

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby Triggerman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:10 am

Finally got mine done. Not nearly as good as others on the link, but I am happy with it.

Before:

Image

After:

Image

A million thanks to stumpjumper for the very detailed instructions and pictures. I followed it as best as I could, and it made the job a lot less intimidating. :thumbsup:
SHOW ME YOUR WWA MEMBERSHIP CARD, OR YOU'RE SWIMMING BACK TO THE BOAT LAUNCH!!!
Triggerman
hunter
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:07 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:27 pm

Shoot, brother don't sell youself short- that thing looks great! That picture next to the tree the gun disappears! :thumbsup:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby bayouboy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:31 pm

painted mine over the summer per the steps on here. thanks a lot for the info.

i went w/ my favorite camo, a timber pattern though; i love it. old school.

Image

Image
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests