Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby rollo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm inspired. I have an Rem 870 LW 20 gauge that was mine when I was a kid and it will eventually my son's gun. It's going to get a custom camo pattern by Dad.
A duck call can be a wonderful conservation tool.
rollo
hunter

Postby cooper89455 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:45 am

I have started painting my shotgun and with it being winter right now the paint has been drying in the cold basement. i was curious to know if the cold will cause the paint to be more brittle. and if so what can i do to create the most durable finish. thanks
cooper89455
Newb

Postby rollo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:50 pm

the cold will not change the properties of the paint. It does lend problems with introducing moisture, how the paint is delivered onto the surface. Thicker, might run more if you go to fast, and longer dry times. Most paints have recommended tempurature range are you within those limits?
A duck call can be a wonderful conservation tool.
rollo
hunter

Postby cooper89455 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:52 pm

no i don't think i am but i have allowed longer drying times to compensate. should i wipe the gun down with a lint free cloth after each coat is dry to remove moisture or is that not neccessary
cooper89455
Newb

Postby Freezer » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:55 pm

I have been trying to find the instructions you provide for months! :bow: I can't wait to start an ol'mossy and a Beretta 390 ST that has had some hard use. I recieved this site address from a friend on another web site and I'm sharing it on two others! I may spend the rest of today exploring this web site :hi:
Freezer
hunter

Postby theemazing » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 am

These guns you guys did are awesome... really inspiring
theemazing
hunter

Postby MJO21 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:57 am

I finished my painting yesterday. I am curious curious about the finishing spray. Of course these are duck guns. Willt he spray used hold up? What finish do you guys recommend?

Mike
MJO21
hunter

Postby Wolfe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 am

I did mine using this guide at the beginning of last season after a couple trips to the salt marsh taught me about instant-rusting of my Beretta bbl. The guide was outstanding and my dad and I really enjoyed the project.

The gun has taken a few nicks and dings along the way but here's a photo of it in the field with a pretty Redhead drake.
Wolfe
hunter

Postby Wolfe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:13 am

MJO21 wrote:I finished my painting yesterday. I am curious curious about the finishing spray. Of course these are duck guns. Willt he spray used hold up? What finish do you guys recommend?

Mike

I sprayed mine with about 3 coats of ultra flat clear Krylon and it really helped with surface scratches not getting through to the metal.
Wolfe
hunter

Postby keep_m_kupt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:57 am

hmmm I may have a winter project on a few shotguns and even a rifle of mine!

kupt.
keep_m_kupt
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Great job
That looks great wolfe, much better than with my hand on the brush.

Topcoat
For topcoat I have used minwax clear satin poly in the past. Two or three coats. This seemed very tough but I think it yellowed some and was pretty shiny. Since I found this post I've used the clear acrylic sealer that the OP lists, the stuff in the blue and black can, bought at the craft area in walmart. This sealer has not yellowed, though after two years of heavy, non-babied use the primer is starting to show through in the hand grip areas, under the forearm and under the pistol grip. The clear acrylic sealer is somewhat shiny compared to the ultra flat paint left unsealed but much tougher. I have not tried Krylon 1311 matte as a sealer on a gun. Some people use that on decoys; I have tried it on decoys and was not particularly impressed.
Last edited by FullandFuller on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

a few questions

Postby duckmagnet04 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Hey fellow waterfowlers, I just finished my frst season of duck/goose hunting and bagged 9 mallards and 3 canada geese. I don't think thats too bad considering all i knew how to do is shoot. My calling was horrible, the spots I went to were very poor, and I had no idea how to set decoys up...until I foun a buddy that had been hunting for a while and taught me a thing or two. I have a mossy oak mossberg 535, and I want to paint it to be a wetland gun only and I have a 30-06 and a bow for deer. My questions are is there any extra steps to be considered for a pump? Also the last step that Stump put up has me a litle puzzled. I guess my eyes are going bad because I can't see roughly where the black paint is for the reeds. I have this project to do this spring/summer as well as re-paint my 14 ft aluminum Starcraft boat, the Johnson motor, AND build a duck blind on my boat....As I finish my projects I will post pictures here
duckmagnet04
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby huntinlabs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:54 pm

is anyone doing this for a fee? i would love to do this to mine but cant due to deployments and such and was wondering if i could get some one to do this for me?
duckkillerclyde wrote:I don't really understand what you are saying. I average 150 ducks 10 geese a year. It takes me 3 cases of shells to do it. I always figure if the birds are leaving anyways, you might as well try.
huntinlabs
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:14 pm

well, i did it. it could have turned out a little better but oh well. this is my old Browning Citori:

and i decided to keep the gold trigger. :biggrin:

these pics were pre-sealer. it ended up too shiny but still better than the blued finish.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby Wolfe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Krylon makes a product called "Ultra Flat Clear" that I sprayed 2 or 3 coats on after the camo was done and setup for a week or two.

Surface scratches get in the clear but dont always dig down into the color...its not perfect, but it isnt shiny and it sealed things up nicely.
Wolfe
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Here is my new SBE use to be all black...well not any more! Haven't put the clear coat on yet I'll be doing that this weekend! Thanks for the great project!

summer 2011 002.jpg

summer 2011 006.jpg
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby 870BirdSwatter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Long time lurker on here, but figured this is a good spot for my first post!

Always wanted to do something to my gun, and this thread inspired me a little more!
I dug out my airbrush from my model car days and painted it with Duracoat "marsh" and ultra flat for the detail. I still think it needs a little more detail. What do ya all think of it??
I'll call it Killer pampas grass Ha ha.
870BirdSwatter
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:30 am

I think it looks great! :thumbsup:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby zeus50 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:23 am

how does this process compare to professional duracoat jobs?

is the finish as durable? close? rust protection?

I read through all the threads but don't think anybody compared the two. If they did, sorry i missed it.
zeus50
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Heres my first attempt. There are a few things I would change if I do it again, but so far Im fairly happy with it.

Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Sigmanu262 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Some great looking guns everyone.

Question...

Friend of mine just took on this project and he has followed these instructions to a "T". He primed last night, 2 coats, then today, put 2 coats of reed brown on, waiting approximately 1 hour in between coats. He is in WA State and he did this in his shop where he said it's about 55 degrees.

After applying the camo patterns with the 2 different colors, the paint dried for about an hour and he noticed that everything was gummy. To the point where he took his fingernail and it pulled all of the paint clear down to the metal and the wood.

Any ideas why the paint would be this gummy?

Too cold?

Any help is appreciated before he does it over, he already stripped it back down to bare metal and bare wood. :sad:

Thank you

MALLARDS:11
TEAL:1
WIDGEON:5
PINTAIL:1
SCAUP:2
CANADIANS:2
Sigmanu262
hunter

Postby SnohoHunter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:39 am

Wow,

This was a really fun project. This is my old Winchester 1300 that has been beat through the years. Can't wait to get it out in the field to see how it all holds up. I took pictures step by step if anyone has questions.

SnohoHunter
Newb

Postby FullandFuller » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:51 am

About that washington state gun, 55 is borderline minimum for temp so I would increase dry times between coats...the gumminess though, that does not sound correct for a spray primer to do that unless the surface was contaminated with a residue of some sort.

I've had paints flake off of a flexible material (like a plastic cup that bends) but really cannot recall a primer that came off gummy like described. In my mind that points to surface contamination that did not allow the primer to bond and dry.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby Sigmanu262 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks for the instructional.....been a fun project for myself and a friend. Here is my friends...not 100% as he'd like it, but good enough and not cleared yet, but wanted to post some pics anyway :grooving:

:clapping:

MALLARDS:11
TEAL:1
WIDGEON:5
PINTAIL:1
SCAUP:2
CANADIANS:2
Sigmanu262
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum