Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Postby WAQuacker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I think my 870 turned out pretty good. These tips were super helpful. Instead of the buying large gallons of house paint for the the 1/2oz I used, I just went down to the local craft store and bought some 1 dollar bottles of out door acrylic paint. They worked out extremely well.
Attachments
Shotgun.jpg
"To become old and wise, I have to get through this young and dumb phase."

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 pm

What kind of paint do I use for the reeds? Is Acrylic ok? Or do I need Enamel? I'd rather not have to buy a half-gallon. The craft store sells small jars of acrylic. Will that work?
Gabagool
hunter

Postby 95SlowBra » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Hey Stump what did you use the different size brushes for? Was one used more than the other? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Im working on painting my 870 right now and this question arose so i thought id ask!
95SlowBra
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 pm

*please excuse my next comment for i have no desire to read through 15 pages, just to see if someone else has asked.*

I have an O/U thats rusting up pretty quick, if i paint it, will the paint be effected by the heat of my barrels? Or should i save up for a dip job instead?
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:

"Parents aren't the only ones who raise you, there's still public school and DHC"
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 pm

*please excuse my next comment for i have no desire to read through 15 pages, just to see if someone else has asked.*

I have an O/U thats rusting up pretty quick, if i paint it, will the paint be effected by the heat of my barrels? Or should i save up for a dip job instead?
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:

"Parents aren't the only ones who raise you, there's still public school and DHC"
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby CurlyChessie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:03 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:*please excuse my next comment for i have no desire to read through 15 pages, just to see if someone else has asked.*

I would sand the rust out and have it dipped, because before it gets dipped in your desired film pattern it gets spray painted in a certain primer depending on film pattern chosen. So its a double protection in your case to prevent the re-occurrence of rust; primer paint and the dip. :thumbsup:
CurlyChessie
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:09 am

DuckManClyde wrote:*please excuse my next comment for i have no desire to read through 15 pages, just to see if someone else has asked.*

No. The heat will not affect the paint.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby LifeAndLiberty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:05 pm

jonathanmorris8 wrote:Anyone tried this on a boat?

Yup. Sorry for the poor quality photo its a picture of a picture. Old Town canoe painted using the methods described here. Cane or great but paint peeled very easy. Apparently it's due to the camo paint not adhering to fiberglass. Cabelas sells camo paint that supposedly adheres to boats but I am skeptical. Put a lot of work into it for it to peel on any contact with a stick or twig.

First post, hope this worked right

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
LifeAndLiberty
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum