Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby mydogearl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:01 am

lol....thanks
mydogearl
hunter

Postby Tjengle » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Stump, do you have these directions saved to your computer, I want to store them on my computer so I have them at hands reach for when I start my camo project, but when I tried to copy and paste them to word it didnt work. If you have them stored somewhere to where you could e-mail them to me that would be great. Thanks for letting people in on your secret. Tim

Tjengle@hotmail.com
Tjengle
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:34 am

Tjengle wrote:Stump, do you have these directions saved to your computer, I want to store them on my computer so I have them at hands reach for when I start my camo project, but when I tried to copy and paste them to word it didnt work. If you have them stored somewhere to where you could e-mail them to me that would be great. Thanks for letting people in on your secret. Tim

Tjengle@hotmail.com

Sorry T there in my personal computer in my head. If you need me to I could draft sometning up over the weekend.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tjengle » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:41 am

No Stump Dont worry about it, you have already helped out too much, no need to spend time typin when you have a work of art in the making. I just thought I would ask. Thanks Anyway.

Tim
Tjengle
hunter

Postby chilidog » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:01 am

they that gun looks awsome. It would look good with pink or purple on it too.. hahaha That is a fantastic job
If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves".

(Thomas Alva Edison 1847-1931)
chilidog
hunter

Postby otisd » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 am

I can't take it anymore I gotta try this !!
otisd
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:31 am

I painted my 835 like yours stump and just want to say hats off to you. You did a great job but i do have one question. Whenever i put remoil on it makes it kind of tacky not like it is going to come off just like a sticky finish. I was just wondering if anyone else had this same problem and if there was any solutions.
gooserslan
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:29 pm

I just had to give my compliments! Excellent paint job on all three guns, Stumpjumper. Excellent job.

Here's a thought: If you went over the gun with a very fine grit sand paper after using the brushes and before the clear coat, could it take the "feel" of the brush strokes off while leaving the paint intact? I just thought that might be an option. What do you think?
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Lottaducks » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Thanks stump there went my weekend. I'll be painting shotguns all weekend. That looks like freaking awsome.
Your bird? How do you figure? You never even fired your gun.
Lottaducks
Newb

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:05 pm

gooserslan wrote:I painted my 835 like yours stump and just want to say hats off to you. You did a great job but i do have one question. Whenever i put remoil on it makes it kind of tacky not like it is going to come off just like a sticky finish. I was just wondering if anyone else had this same problem and if there was any solutions.

Question, did you apply the sealer and let it fully dry? Also remember that the camo job serves two purposes, concealment and not needing to be oiled externaly. The oil will not penitrate the paint and make it to the metal. Wipe it down with a clean rag and remove the oil. DO NOT use any solvents to do this as you WILL harm the paint. If you scratch or nick the paint apply some touch up and let it rock.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Spiraleyes wrote:I just had to give my compliments! Excellent paint job on all three guns, Stumpjumper. Excellent job.

Here's a thought: If you went over the gun with a very fine grit sand paper after using the brushes and before the clear coat, could it take the "feel" of the brush strokes off while leaving the paint intact? I just thought that might be an option. What do you think?

I`m not to sure about doing that. Since my original post I have gotten ALOT better at keeping the reeds from being to thick. This has resulted in a much smoother feel to the reeds. Remember to go light on the paint with the brush and buy the best quality brush you possibly can with a medium bristle. You can always add more paint, it`s hard to remove it once it`s thick.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Lottaducks wrote:Thanks stump there went my weekend. I'll be painting shotguns all weekend. That looks like freaking awsome.

I feel your pain. I can`t tell you how many I`ve paineted since the first one. Have fun!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 pm

NOT MY FAULT!! :hammer:
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gooserslan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:08 am

Thanks stump yes i did let it fully dry. I won't apply any oil on the outside of the gun anymore.
gooserslan
hunter

Citori O/U Upgrade

Postby nwtransplant » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:31 am

Stump helped me out on my Citori Garde I o/u Upgrade Project as my gund was in great condition but I wanted to customize it for the upcoming season and didn't feel like putting out the ~$2200 for the new cynergy duck blind o/u.

I started off the project by removing my forend and stock applying a chemical stripper to remove the very thick finish. These parts were then shipped to Stump for custom painting.

I purchased a new recoil pad and filed it down to match the stock end (pachmayr makes the closest match here but it still took a little filing to make it match. You can do this by using the old recoil pad and filing it down to match before putting it on your stock.)

I then added a Tom Knapp site to the end (hunting version) which gave it an awesome look.

Once I received the finished forend and stock form Stump, I put the gun all back together added in a couple of Browning Duck Commander extended choke tubes and I was done at a total cost of ~$220 which was only 1/10th the cost of getting a new Cynergy.

I am going to the range today to pattern and get myself retuned for the season. Should work out great because my Citori is just an improved version of my favorite gun!

By the way, Stump did a fantastic custom job on the wood and he is a great person to deal with. Here's to you Stump! :thumbsup:

NWtransplant
Hunting Out of Los Banos, CA
and Sauvie Island, OR
www.stonecastlekennels.com
NWTransplant
nwtransplant
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:08 pm

Thanks nwtransplant, I`m really glad you liked the camo pattern. That had to be the toughest finish I`ve ever seen on wood before :rofl: :rofl: My hands are still cramped up :help: Have a great season brother. If your ever in NC give me a hollar I`d share the blind with you anyday!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby budalcorn45 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:16 pm

Stump,
I used your idea on my kayak that I just bought so that I can go solo in the ponds around where I work in the evenings...Your instructions were super easy to follow, and I really like the way that it turned out. Thanks a ton for throwing those up! When I finally figure out how to upload a picture, I will put them up.
budalcorn45
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:50 pm

budalcorn45 wrote:Stump,
I used your idea on my kayak that I just bought so that I can go solo in the ponds around where I work in the evenings...Your instructions were super easy to follow, and I really like the way that it turned out. Thanks a ton for throwing those up! When I finally figure out how to upload a picture, I will put them up.

Glad to have been able to help out. That`s what it`s all about :thumbsup: :thumbsup: duck hunters helping duck hunters! Post those pics bro!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otisd » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Here is how mine turned out. That was actually alot of fun !Image
otisd
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:28 pm

Looks great to me :thumbsup:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jaclinto » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:48 am

WOW - that is all I can say
jaclinto
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:46 am

otisd wrote:Here is how mine turned out. That was actually alot of fun !Image

:goodjob: :banger: :goodjob: :banger: :goodjob: :banger: :goodjob:

Ok Otisd you have OFFICIALY been nominated for doing the best job so far. She look AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell if I didn`t know better I would have thought that I had painted that gun. Hats off to you sir. The background looks real good and it has a even flow, the reeds are NICELY done and look very realistic. SWEET BUD, REAL SWEET!
So over all how hard was it to do, what was the hardest part, and would you change anything in the process?

DAMN BROTHER :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenhead14 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:44 am

Will the guns rust as bad after you paint them?
greenhead14
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

greenhead14 wrote:Will the guns rust as bad after you paint them?

As long as you get the rust off of the gun before you paint it, there should not be a problem. The paint will insulate the metal from any oxidation from teh elements. But if you cut corners and do not clean the rust off completely, eventually the paint will pop off due to the underlying rust. then the rust will continue.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:00 pm

:dito: :dito: :dito:

As Fowl said, you must remove any rust before you paint the gun. The prep work is BY FAR the most important. Do not rush this process!!!!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum