Shotgun for daughter???

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Shotgun for daughter???

Postby Duster19 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:21 pm

My 8 1/2 year old daughter just passed her hunting safety course on Saturday :-). It was a 6 day (3 hours a night) and a day (6 hour in the field) course. I was very proud of her since the course instructor said, "She was only the third 8 year old to pass and first 8 year old girl he as passed in 36 years". Yes, they do actually fail students. 6 boys failed the written test and 2 more young boys failed the field test (one dry fired a bow and the other had unsafe muzzle control on the 45 min. simulated pheasant hunt.

Here is the question. I am trying to decide between the Remington 870™ Wingmaster® Jr. and Remington 870 Express Youth Magnum. The main reason I'm leaning towards the Wingmaster is because it has a shorter barrel (18 3/4") compared to the Express at (21"). It also has a 1" shorter stock.

So at her size: 8 1/2 years old, 60lbs and 4' 1". Yes, she's a small girl. At the field course she had to succesfully load and shot a Winchester 20 ga. Ranger. She was able to do it, but the gun was a little heavy for her.

We were at Sportsman's and the Remington Express seemed much easier for her to handle. They didn't have a youth Wingmaster to shoulder.

So do you think the extra money (Wingmaster) is worth it? I like the Express for having the synthetic stock (thinking it will handle more stesss since there will be 2 more of my kids to get the gun I decide on).

By the way I plan on doing a lot of trap shooting with her this summer and her first hunts will be next year in the Duck Blind.

Thanks for your time and thoughts,

Dave
Duster19
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:51 pm

First things first, welcome aboard to DHC :welcome:

As for the subject at hand, I am not sure what your financial situation is, but if you have the $, consider a Rem 1100 youth model. Being it is gas operated, there will be alot less kick for her, trap load is one thing, but a high brass duck load may be too much for her in a pump the next few years yet until she grows a bit. The pump could cause her the flinch-which is not good. From my view point, give the novice the best oppurtunity to succeed.

That being said, you are right on the money in considering fit and balance as #1 for her, but a close second will be kick for her. Remember you want her to enjoy hunting-not getting a bruised shoulder from it which could turn her off a bit.

BTW, my advice is after she gets the hang of going away trap shots, take her to the skeet range as many of those angle are like incoming or going away ducks :thumbsup: Get her away from the others, and just you and her together on that field as she is learning. That way you can spend more time at 1 station untill she figures out the lead and consistently hits the birds and then move to the next station. Just have the trapper keep track of the # of targets and all should be well will the range management. :smile:

It is good to see Fathers get both girls and boys involved in hunting and shooting sports :thumbsup:

I'm sure a few of the other members will be adding their thoughts too.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Update on Daughter's Gun

Postby Duster19 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:39 pm

Hey, just for those interested the Wingmaster Jr. is the perfect gun for a small or youth hunter. It is so well balanced and the recoil is pretty mild. My 8 year old daughter is able to go out and shot 2 boxes of shells without a hitch. Of course, I purchased a youth hunting vest with build in padding and we also use an old baseball wrist band up around her bicep area. She's loving to shot clay pigeons and his starting to hit about 50%.

Just an update,

Dave
Duster19
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:02 am

Those 1100 are pretty sweet that admin2 is talking about. I've looked at them before and they are a really nice looking gun.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:58 am

I know this is an old post thread, but wanted to add a couple of points......I agree witht he auto in 20g as an excellent learning piece....although I wish all could learn with a pump just so they can shoot any action later on without having to learn all over to shoot while pumping

on another note.....my pal just got his 10 year old son a Daly 20g youth model (ansd has the basic stock on order)......IMO and his, now....it is basically a piece of junk.... poor quality workmanship and just not something to be confident of.....first rounds didn't cycle but with a break-in of some 3" it is now working ok....regardless, the fit and weight are excellent for a small child/adolecsent....I just wish he had gotten the Remington....but unfortunately cost was a factor....the Daly was only $300
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

hey

Postby MallardKiller » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:50 pm

Hey congrats on your daughter passing the course well the wingmaster is a good gun and its pretty light where the magnum is a little heavier and longer but then again she will grow up and soon the wingmaster could be a little short so i would go with the youth magnum oh and also the magnum is great for the waterfowl to
MallardKiller
hunter

Thanks for the replys

Postby Duster19 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:36 pm

I agree $550 is a lot for a youth gun. How I looked at is, my daughter is my oldest. I have a 6 and 3 year old boys to come. So the gun will get a lot of shooting. When the time comes to get a bigger gun, I have two choices. Sell the Wingmaster (which in my opinion will still hold its value) or purchase standard stock and barrel for it. The Wingmaster comes with that option. As for now, the gun is perfect for her. You have to remember that the younger shooters need to be able to hold the gun on shoulder, which requires a lot strength. The shorter barrel helps with this as does the 12" stock. For her she really needs to have 1/2 her hand on the fore-end in order to control the weight. If she puts her entire hand on the fore-end (pump piece) her arm is almost required to be entirely extended.

Besides it's a beautiful gun. Go and take a look at it. Not trying to sell more for Remington, but after doing my research I think I found the perfect gun for a small shooter.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/youth/870wingjr.htm

Dave
Duster19
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum