Beretta A400 Xtreme

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta A400 Xtreme

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:21 am

Just picked up my new gun! Of course I am ridiculously excited!

Gun.JPG

I didn't post any threads on here asking advice about the A400 because there was enough info just doing some searching on the forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing their impressions, thoughts, and opinions about the A400... they were very helpful! :beer:

I also picked up quite a number of aftermarket chokes to try: Carlson's (BC Long Range), Wad Wizard (Supreme), Muller (Passing), Trulock (Super Waterfowl), and Kick's (High Flyer). I really want to see what can hold a great pattern out to 40-50 yards and truly see how all of these hold up against the factory chokes. Will be trying mostly Kent and BC ammos. I will make sure to post results in the next few weeks when I have them. :thumbsup:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Re: Beretta A400 Xtreme

Postby iamlegend » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 am

Very nice. Im so torn between the a5 and a400 still even after reading all these threads over and over lol
iamlegend
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 am

iamlegend wrote:Very nice. Im so torn between the a5 and a400 still even after reading all these threads over and over lol

I have been shooting Beretta over the last 10 years so I think the Beretta just naturally felt / fit better for me but I will say that I really liked the A400 gas system (so easy to clean) and the kick off system. My dad has some old Belgium A5's and I do love shooting them but the new A5 just didn't feel as solid to me as the A400 did.

Of course to each their own... they are both great guns, just personal preference and what fits best. :thumbsup:
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby brenth8209 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Great choice I love my extreme. I'd be interested in the results of your pattern test I haven't had the time to pattern mine yet
brenth8209
hunter

Postby skcud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:08 pm

hunted mine for 3 seasons now and love the gun.
skcud
hunter

Postby Krazy Yankee » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Nice gun! I've been debating on stepping up my shooting platform once the season ends. Let us know how you like it! I shot an A400 excel over the summer...talk about a sweet rig!
Krazy Yankee
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm

I see you have the optifade finish.
Mine is in Max 4 camo.
Both are fine, but having seen the optifade, I like it a tosh better.

But they say "Pretty is, as pretty does"
In this case 'beautiful' is the best description!
And in every possible way!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Good pick. You won't be disappointed!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby diverduckkiller » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:28 pm

I have that exact gun, same camo and everything. They patter flawlessly I have kill lots of ducks already this year with mine. In a nut shell super easy to clean, no jams, and 3 cases deep right now. It was single digits this weekend here and I hunted with a friend who has a SBE II that he swares by and while I was dusting birds with the A400, he was... well... trying to get his SBE II unthawed and freed up, lol. A pic from this weekend.
Attachments
12072013 duck hunt.jpg
Dead hens don't lay eggs
diverduckkiller
hunter

Postby sn8ketr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 pm

aclumpkin wrote:Just picked up my new gun! Of course I am ridiculously excited!

Gun.JPG

I didn't post any threads on here asking advice about the A400 because there was enough info just doing some searching on the forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing their impressions, thoughts, and opinions about the A400... they were very helpful! :beer:

I also picked up quite a number of aftermarket chokes to try: Carlson's (BC Long Range), Wad Wizard (Supreme), Muller (Passing), Trulock (Super Waterfowl), and Kick's (High Flyer). I really want to see what can hold a great pattern out to 40-50 yards and truly see how all of these hold up against the factory chokes. Will be trying mostly Kent and BC ammos. I will make sure to post results in the next few weeks when I have them. :thumbsup:

Congrats. Got mine2 years ago and LOVE it. Best shotgun I have ever had and I have had many. Enjoy!
sn8ketr
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 am

I won't have time to fully pattern the gun until next weekend but I put in the Carlson BC choke and shot about a box of BC at some targets yesterday (some stationary). Man I love this gun! The kick was definitely less than my older Beretta but not tremendously less. I guess I am going from gas gun to gas gun so perhaps that had something to do with it. Regardless, recoil was reduced enough that I am definitely not disappointed.

One thing I was tremendously excited about was the muzzle climb. Putting the Kick Off system further up the stock really makes a remarkable difference. I did a few rapid three shot bursts and the gun had basically no muzzle climb whatsoever. And I did the bursts as quickly as I thought I would do in a hunting situation but with how fast the action is (the Blink bolt system), I am sure I could go as fast as I could pull the trigger. Very, very fast!

As I said, I will do full patterning later but the patterns I got out of the Long Range Carlson BC choke appeared very tight at roughly 40 yards just taking a quick look at it.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Those are really nice pieces! Is the kickoff or recoil damper that "V" shape behind the handle right? Or is it in the same spot as the extrema2 was?
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:29 pm

dukhntr wrote:Those are really nice pieces! Is the kickoff or recoil damper that "V" shape behind the handle right? Or is it in the same spot as the extrema2 was?

Yes, it is the V shaped part near the grip. The old recoil damper was at the end of the butt. On the A400 Xtreme, they moved it up towards the grip because they found that if the compression happens there, it reduces muzzle climb. It really works!
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:27 am

Well I just picked mine up aswell. Optafade 28 inch barrel. Can't wait to shoot it today. Heck I think I'm over excited too. I had a bad accident this past summer and ended up with steel plates and screws (3/17) in my face and haven't hunted or fired a gun since. (been afraid of rattling a few screws loose) The reduced recoil is going to be a necessity more than a convenience. I'll be posting my thoughts aswell. I'm comparing this against my 63 A5 I've been shooting before the accident . Anyhow thanks to the guys that have already posted their comments on here about the A400.

Coupe
coupe1975
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Took my new A400 hunting this morning. I spoke too early about the recoil. I shot the gun the other day with just a t-shirt on (so essentially a bare shoulder). In thinking about it, I was comparing it to shooting my old AL391 Silver Mallard Beretta with a few layers of Primaloft hunting gear on. So shooting the new A400 with the same Primaloft clothes on this morning and thus comparing apples to apples, the recoil is in fact significantly less than my old Beretta.

I also was obviously happy when my first two shots out of my new A400 at live targets (a group of three wood ducks) took down a double. The gun was super smooth and the reduction of recoil and lack of muzzle jump made it really easy to keep on target. I stand by what I said before, I could not be happier!
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:15 pm

coupe1975 wrote:Well I just picked mine up aswell. Optafade 28 inch barrel. Can't wait to shoot it today. Heck I think I'm over excited too. I had a bad accident this past summer and ended up with steel plates and screws (3/17) in my face and haven't hunted or fired a gun since. (been afraid of rattling a few screws loose) The reduced recoil is going to be a necessity more than a convenience. I'll be posting my thoughts aswell. I'm comparing this against my 63 A5 I've been shooting before the accident . Anyhow thanks to the guys that have already posted their comments on here about the A400.

Coupe

I hope you had a good experience with your A400 shooting it today. :beer:

I did find the recoil in mine to be significantly less than my old gun. I would be interested if you experienced the same.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Holy cow. This gun shoots like a dream. This is compaired to my A5 and my SBEII.it put the Benelli to shame and the Ben is a very nice gun. The recoil is reduced by the 70% that they claim. A 3½" BB load felt like a #8 out of my old 20 gauge 1100 I'd strongly recommend this firearm for anyone in my shoes. I will admit that the. $1700 price tag was hard for me to do seeing how I haven't worked since July when the accident happened but I can now say the price is cheap if if keeps me in the woods hunting. I've posted a photo of my xray to show the extent of my situation and to let anyone know that the recoil reduction actually works

Thanks coupe
Attachments
IMG1404.jpg
The crap
IMG1121.jpg
Last edited by coupe1975 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coupe1975
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 pm

coupe1975 wrote:I've Artaxerxes a photo of my xray to show the extent of my situation and to let anyone know that the recoil reduction actually works

:eek: Wow, that is quite an X-Ray! Glad you had a great experience like I did!
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Ya the metal rod punched through my face broke the roof of my mouth front to back, front of mouth up to nose cavity, top of nose cavity to eye socket and from eye socket to area where wisdom teeth where. Busted out 4 teeth and well, really just screwed me up. But thanks to the A400 I'm back able to shoot.
coupe1975
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:33 am

coupe1975 wrote:Ya the metal rod punched through my face broke the roof of my mouth front to back, front of mouth up to nose cavity, top of nose cavity to eye socket and from eye socket to area where wisdom teeth where. Busted out 4 teeth and well, really just screwed me up. But thanks to the A400 I'm back able to shoot.

Yikes! If you don't mind me asking, what metal rod? What happened?

Glad that you are ok from all of this and able to shoot again! :beer:
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:15 pm

I was using a 24" ½"extension from a socket set as a mechanic stethoscope. (One end on the engine other end up to ear) listening for a noise in the lower end of a large Caterpillar diesel enginewhen all of a sudden a piston rod broke through side of block striking the extension and explosively pushing it into my head. Ouch
Attachments
IMG899.jpg
coupe1975
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Oh, by the way. The view out of the life flight helicopter sucks. Can't see a darn thing! :eek:
coupe1975
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Ouch! As a fellow fixer of mechanical objects, what are the odds of that happening? Hope you continue to improve in your getting back to normal :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Ouch! As a fellow fixer of mechanical objects, what are the odds of that happening? Hope you continue to improve in your getting back to normal :thumbsup:

Normal? I wasnt normal before the accident hahaaaa LOL.
But thank you for the wishes. What's really, really REALLY sad is a mechanics stethoscope sells for $5 at harbor freight. Just the er and life flight ride was over $100,000. Ugh, makes me sick.
coupe1975
hunter

Postby rerhardt » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery
rerhardt
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum