Beretta A400 Xtreme

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Beretta A400 Xtreme

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:52 pm

coupe1975 wrote:
Cujo1 wrote:Ouch! As a fellow fixer of mechanical objects, what are the odds of that happening? Hope you continue to improve in your getting back to normal :thumbsup:

Normal? I wasnt normal before the accident hahaaaa LOL.
But thank you for the wishes. What's really, really REALLY sad is a mechanics stethoscope sells for $5 at harbor freight. Just the er and life flight ride was over $100,000. Ugh, makes me sick.

I do have a stethoscope and it has made me a lot of money. On the positive side, you found what was knocking :hammer:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:02 am

coupe1975 wrote:Just the er and life flight ride was over $100,000. Ugh, makes me sick.

Yikes, I can only imagine. Well I am glad that you have found a gun that allows you to get back to having some fun!
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Knocking sound. Haaaaa my stepdad ask me the other day if I heard a rattle from under his Hood. I told him. Beep beep beep that beeping rattle.your on your own. Ha
coupe1975
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Hey guys. I just got the A400 extreme as stated above. How are you guys that have had the gun cleaning it. I'm wire brushing the barrel and wiping it out with hope's #9 cleaner and oil inside and all exposed metal. My main question is what are y'all cleaning the outside with and oiling? Just don't want to have cleaner Peel off camo or oil seep under and lift off camo. . This is my first camo covered gun and always hunted a blued gun. Any advise is appreciated.
coupe1975
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:41 pm

coupe1975 wrote:Hey guys. I just got the A400 extreme as stated above. How are you guys that have had the gun cleaning it. I'm wire brushing the barrel and wiping it out with hope's #9 cleaner and oil inside and all exposed metal. My main question is what are y'all cleaning the outside with and oiling? Just don't want to have cleaner Peel off camo or oil seep under and lift off camo. . This is my first camo covered gun and always hunted a blued gun. Any advise is appreciated.

I have had camo guns before but like you, I wanted to make sure that I didn't do anything to hurt the camo on the A400. So I called Beretta directly and asked them. They told me that you can use Breakfree directly on the camo. Breakfree is what I use and specifically asked about. I assume that if Breakfree is fine, then #9 is as well.

I also asked about some gunk in the trigger assembly in my old Silver Mallard that I was having a hard time getting fully cleaned out. They recommended that you take the trigger assembly out and soak / clean it in mineral spirits. Then, dry / wipe off, apply some oil, and you are good to go. Since the trigger assembly for the A400 is similar to a degree to the Silver Mallards, that should work for the A400 as well. Of course none of us new A400 owners need to worry about that for a LONG time but just something to keep in mind.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Netstar1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:43 pm

What chokes does the A400 Xtreme use?? Optima Plus??
Netstar1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:05 am

coupe1975 wrote:I was using a 24" ½"extension from a socket set as a mechanic stethoscope. (One end on the engine other end up to ear) listening for a noise in the lower end of a large Caterpillar diesel enginewhen all of a sudden a piston rod broke through side of block striking the extension and explosively pushing it into my head. Ouch

Looking at that picture, all I could think was "SONOFABITCH!!" Man, I wish you a speedy and full recovery. Seriously.

I have several camo shotguns. From experience I've learned to clean the camo with a sponge wetted with warm, soapy water...no oil, no CLP. Half the benefit of camo is that it is dull. Oil it and you lose the dull part. Clean/lube the non-camo parts just like you have been doing for years.
mudpack
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Netstar1 wrote:What chokes does the A400 Xtreme use?? Optima Plus??

Optima HP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby tncumminsguy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Getting a A400 here pretty soon and stuck on the fence between a 28' and 26"in barrels. Been shooting my 30in 870 for years and that thing is just to long
tncumminsguy
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 am

tncumminsguy wrote:Getting a A400 here pretty soon and stuck on the fence between a 28' and 26"in barrels. Been shooting my 30in 870 for years and that thing is just to long

I just went to the store and tried swinging the two. My first pump shotgun was a 26" but I also have a 32" O/U Citori that I use for sheet and doves. My old duck gun was a Beretta Silver Mallard with about a 27" barrel when I measured it.

For me, the 26" swung just as nice as the 28" and I decided to go shorter mainly to help out with hunting in the swamps that I do. Sometimes with debris in front of you, the extra 2" gets stuck on things. I also figured that the 26" should fit better in some gun cases (I had to use the larger butt spacer because I am 6' 3" with longer arms). Oh, and I figured with an aftermarket choke sticking out of the end, it probably would be around 27". Obviously it is all personal preference in the end but those are some the things I thought about.

Hope you like your new A400 as much as I like mine when you get it :beer:
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Jhalligan87 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 pm

tncumminsguy wrote:Getting a A400 here pretty soon and stuck on the fence between a 28' and 26"in barrels. Been shooting my 30in 870 for years and that thing is just to long

I have a 30" and I love it. With the long forearm it doesn't feel or look too long. Swings wonderfully too.
Jhalligan87
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Well I'm on the fast train to recovery. Thank you for all ya'lls thoughts and prayers.

Do any of you have any thoughts in fitting the A400. It seems like when I'm shooting I'm shooting a Tad high. It also seems that I'm seeing way to much rib on the barrel.

Any thoughts would be great.
coupe1975
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:27 am

coupe1975 wrote:Well I'm on the fast train to recovery. Thank you for all ya'lls thoughts and prayers.

Do any of you have any thoughts in fitting the A400. It seems like when I'm shooting I'm shooting a Tad high. It also seems that I'm seeing way to much rib on the barrel.

Any thoughts would be great.

I am sure your A400 came with shims like mine did. I can't tell you the procedure because I haven't messed with mine yet. I had to use the longer butt spacer but the gun appears to be shooting straight thus far. YouTube most likely has some videos on how to do it.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Action » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 am

I bought a Xtreme this past summer and loved shooting it at clays. I liked it even more at decoying geese which I mainly hunt. It is a little tougher to swing than my SBE however it get's the job done and the kick off system is awesome. Shooting standard chokes I think they do a good job also. Haven't had the chance to put it on paper however the geese seem to fall pretty hard when I pull the trigger. One thing I did find out which is a surprise it has not been mentioned on this thread. Some of these out of the box will not cycle a 3-1/2" round. Called the factory and they were aware of the problem and told me to send it in and they would fix it. So this season I have been shooting 3" rounds which is a good load. However this is the year of the honker and our average of honkers to lesser is disproportional to years past. We are 85% honker to lesser ration. So my advice if you haven't done so is shoot 2-3 round of 3-1/2" through your gun and see if it works. If so you shouldn't have any problems down the road. If you do find problems you have a year to have Beretta repair it free of charge and you will need a receipt for proof of purchase. Enjoy your Beretta's they are fun to shoot and get the job done.
Action
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum