Browning A5 Feedback

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Browning A5 Feedback

Postby bhroberts1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:08 am

I grew up shooting the Auto 5. I loved it, I love how it shouldered. I got away from shooting it so I could shoot 3.5 in shell. I was at the store the other day and shouldered the new A5. I really like the line of sight the gun has and how it shouldered, so I am thinking about purchasing one.

I would like feedback from people who own a new A5 or that have shot the new A5. How does it handle, durability, etc..

I will be using this gun for pheasant hunting only, so I am thinking about getting the 3in chamber, blued barrel and wood stock. I have an SX3 I already use for duck hunting. I know you guys will say I can use the SX3 for pheasants as well, which I have, I just would like a prettier gun when upland hunting.

Thank you,

Brenton
bhroberts1
hunter

Re: Browning A5 Feedback

Postby RShockley » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:24 pm

I love my A5 so far. Handles great and I haven't had any issues with it. This is still my first season with it so I really can't comment to much on durability yet. I have had it out every day and it has worked flawlessly. Even Saturday morning with all the sleet and 19 degree weather I had no issues.
RShockley
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:32 am

I've read postings on other sites and gun reviews that the new DS choke system is "off" in actual openess numbers compared to the usual numbers. Have you or anyone that owns the A5 done patterning with waterfowl size steel and found this to be true ?
Some reviews have recommended aftermarket MOD or IM tubes for better patterns.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby bhroberts1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:55 am

23yearsago wrote:I've read postings on other sites and gun reviews that the new DS choke system is "off" in actual openess numbers compared to the usual numbers. Have you or anyone that owns the A5 done patterning with waterfowl size steel and found this to be true ?
Some reviews have recommended aftermarket MOD or IM tubes for better patterns.

Could you post the links to these sources so I could read them?

Thank you.
bhroberts1
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 pm

I did a Yahoo search for Browning A5 and under the review tab is where I found many listings and the one particular write-up by Randy Wakeman. It was he that refered to the factory supplied IC and MOD chokes as being insufficient in constriction. There were two targets shown using lead shot, shooting the factory MOD and a Briley MOD with noticable better pattern from the Briley.

I know steel patterns tighter which is why I posted on this thread to hopefully hear from A5 shooters using the factory tubes with waterfowl sized shot.

I just purchased an A5 Stalker and have yet to receive it, but did a bit of research for what lies ahead once I put my hands on it. After reading the things I did, I chose to check the availability of factory tubes,, thinking that a IM Browning DS tube may be in the future to get me where I want to be on paper. What I found online.....the factory flush DS IM tubes were "out of stock" at every place I found them listed online. Extended models were available at a higher cost of course.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby cartervj » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 pm

I bought one a few weeks ago. Absolutely love the gun, aftermarket chokes do pattern better. I had nice patterns with lead dove loads but #3 steel was lacking. Ordered a Mid Range Carlson waterfowl choke and it patterns nicely, very impressed. I've shot and owned numerous SBE HK and SBEIIs, Browning Sliver etc…
The A5 points as well if not better than any shotgun I've shouldered, killed the first 4 ducks I shot at, missed the next shot and finished up my limit with 2 more shots.
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby mxmike26 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:01 am

Have had mine for six months now. Also hve super vinci. Love the a five and would pick it over th vinci any day. Less recoil than the vinci. Have submerged mine a few times and still operated like a dream. Have prob ran 2000 rounds through it. No issues. Paint holding up well. I do have carlson waterfowl chokes.
mxmike26
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:46 pm

How's the recoil vs a Maxus/SX3? I know there's a noticeable difference between an SBE2 and the Maxus. Gas vs inertia...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Takeem406
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:35 pm

I don't own a new A5 but last week I spent a day in the blind with one. Never had a chance to pattern it but I do know that the factory Mod. tube put the hurt on ducks (3" Kents,1 1/8th oz. of #2). The recoil did have just a touch sharper pop to it than my SBE2, but it has the comfortech stock and the A5 felt lighter to me. It had quite a bit more pop than my Browning Sliver (which kicks about the same as the maxus I used to shoot). All in all I really liked the gun. Only thing about it I would change is, I think Browning should have used the spring loaded bolt link on the A5 like they did on the maxus. On the maxus you drop the bolt into the receiver and the link automatically goes into the recoil plunger cup. The A5 is more like my Silver in that you have to insert the bolt part way and make sure the link goes where its supposed to. Not a deal breaker by any means. Just an observation.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:23 am

clampdaddy wrote:I don't own a new A5 but last week I spent a day in the blind with one. Never had a chance to pattern it but I do know that the factory Mod. tube put the hurt on ducks (3" Kents,1 1/8th oz. of #2). The recoil did have just a touch sharper pop to it than my SBE2, but it has the comfortech stock and the A5 felt lighter to me. It had quite a bit more pop than my Browning Sliver (which kicks about the same as the maxus I used to shoot). All in all I really liked the gun. Only thing about it I would change is, I think Browning should have used the spring loaded bolt link on the A5 like they did on the maxus. On the maxus you drop the bolt into the receiver and the link automatically goes into the recoil plunger cup. The A5 is more like my Silver in that you have to insert the bolt part way and make sure the link goes where its supposed to. Not a deal breaker by any means. Just an observation.

All you have to do is turn the receiver upside down and the link slides right into place.
RShockley
hunter

Postby mountain hunter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:29 pm

My wife and I both have the 3" guns and LOVE them! Between the two of them we have several hundred rounds through them,
Every thing from skeet loads (lots) to 3" turkey loads and have had no trouble out of ours. We have totally cleaned out the factory oils
Though.
mountain hunter
Newb

Postby NEAduck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:13 pm

I am also looking to purchase a new A5 and have been shopping around. A few dealers I have talked to both said they kick super hard with that new recoil action. Not sure if this is true or not.
NEAduck
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:18 pm

NEAduck wrote:I am also looking to purchase a new A5 and have been shopping around. A few dealers I have talked to both said they kick super hard with that new recoil action. Not sure if this is true or not.

Not true in my opinion. I can shoot 3 1/2" shekels and it is fine.
RShockley
hunter

Postby zoutly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 am

For what its worth i love my A5, i would recommend a aftermarket choke tube as well though. I have shot some 3/12's through it but i wouldn't say it kicks any harder than my benelli.
zoutly
hunter

Postby A5Guy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm

Bought mine a couple weeks ago an i couldn't be any happier. The best money I've ever spent, although i haven't shot any ducks with it yet, it put a lot of doves down in a short amount of time. This gun is awesome, especially the narrowness and lightness of it. I have found that mine doesn't like reloaded shells at all but don't have to worry about that shooting ducks. Ive shot an A400 for awhile and i wont ever go back to it, this browning patterns great with steel or lead. Definitely don't think you'll be disappointed
A5Guy
Newb

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:37 am

NEAduck wrote:I am also looking to purchase a new A5 and have been shopping around. A few dealers I have talked to both said they kick super hard with that new recoil action. Not sure if this is true or not.

I learned a long time ago to trust about 25% of what gun dealers tell you. Unfortunately there's a lot who really don't know the product they're are selling beyond what they've been told. My A5 recoiled considerably less than my SBEII in my opinion. Of course a lot of that is due to how well the A5 fits me. The recoil felt different as well. Where the SBEII wanted to jaw slap on occasion the A5 seemed to recoil straight back instead of toward my cheek if that makes sense
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 am

While I don't own an A5, my buddies and I went clay shooting after a duck hunt one morning. One guy had the new 3 1/2" A5, another had a Benelli M2, another had a Beretta Xtrema and I had my A400 Xtreme. We each fired (3) 2 3/4" target loads and (3) 3" duck loads through each gun. In our very unscientific "experiment", we concluded that the new A5 had the most felt recoil, the M2/Xtrema were very similar (and had less felt than the A5) and my A400 was the softest. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but this is what we found when shooting these 4 guns back-to-back.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Lurch4004 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 am

My buddy lent me his Belgium Browning A5 3 inch steel for our last duck hunt on Lake Erie. I do not consider myself to be a "great shot" but I was a killing machine with that thing. Got my first goose with a load of #2s in the 3 inch and knocked a mallard down with a shot that the guide said he could not beleive I hit. He said 50 yards.
There is just something about the design that worked for me, it mounted smoothly and cycled beautifully. I got my face down on it and locked onto target like I'd done it a million times. Maybe it's the shape where the stock matches up to the receiver but it just feels right to me. Needless to say my friend has not gotten his gun back, I need to come up with something to trade him for it. Hmmmmm :bow:
Lurch4004
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum