Barrel Modification

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Barrel Modification

Postby idhawkdrvr » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:06 pm

I just bought a Remington 1100 12 ga with a 30" full choke barrel from a local pawn shop. Instead of buying a new barrel with a mod choke. A buddy told me about a place that will tap my current barrel to accept interchangeable chokes. Is this something to even consider??? This is my first shotgun I've ever bought and am somewhat new. Any thoughts or advice would be great!
idhawkdrvr
Newb

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:39 pm

let me start by saying, I have no previous experience in having a barrel worked on to install removable chokes....I do know however, that if you were to do it at one of my local gunsmiths it would cost you $160 for the work and three chokes ($90 for one choke tube and the work). A whole new barrel is likely to cost you around $250. IMHO, thats savings! I'd say go for it, it sounds like you have got yourself a great gun. Congratulations!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:55 am

Congrats on yer new toy :salude: I agree w/Trois_beaux_canards

See ya in the marshes,

-SR
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:03 am

just an opinion....but if you do decide to install a choke system....you may wish to consider reducing barrel length to 26" on an auto....a 30" barrel is pretty long on an auto regardless of receiver length even on a 2 3/4" gun...I know some folks like the long guns for fluid swings, but a 30" barrel makes for a pretty darn long gun overall. A 26" or even a 28" will most likely improve overall balance.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:49 am

The full may need to be cut down some just to get to the correct constriction and relationship of bore dia. to work with the chokes. You would have to check on this. I had one done some years ago and I wasn’t very happy with the out come as the point of impact was off. I would look into this very carefully. The other thing you may want to consider is what kind of chokes the installer uses. Some use other than factory. I wouldn’t do it again. I would keep the full if you plan to shoot trap as it would be great for that and I would get a good used 26 or 28 on e-bay or some gun shop; it’s not that hard to find used barrels. If you don’t have a need for the 30 full you could trade it or sell it and spend less than the choke work.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby terryg » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:43 pm

look on ebay for 1100 barrels. mods can be had for 50-75 dollars or so. then you'll have 2. i bought a slug barrel for $83. good deals are there to had.
terryg
hunter

Barrel Mod

Postby idhawkdrvr » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I went down to the shop and talked to the guy. He said he would probably have to cut the barrel down to 26" because of the ribs. And as far as which choke he would put in, he said that's my choice. I was planning on a Remington Mod, ($20 from this guy). The whole she-bang would cost $110, $90 for the cut and $20 for the choke. I've talked to other guys that had this done and they said this guy does really good work. From what I've heard from you all, it sounds like this is a pretty good deal.
idhawkdrvr
Newb

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:12 pm

sounds like it is! ah, the power of forums, everyone has already done the research. :thumbsup:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:13 pm

:eek: Can't believe I didn't think about this earlier, but that barrel may not be rated for steel shot. Could be an old one and probably is. You know, one of those that Remington paid out on in the court settlement. I wouldn't risk steel or hevi shot in even with a choke system installed. I would keep it for lead and trap shooting or turkey hunting or sell it if you like and find a good used one that is steel proof and already has chokes in it.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum