better "used" shotgun?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: better

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Duckmanclyde, opinions are like a holes everyone has one, ask 15 guys on this board what to buy and youre liable to get 15 answers. The bottom line is buy the one YOU like and fits YOU the best. Every brand has a lemon or two. With that said, I have Weatherby and Browning O/Us, Ithaca SxS, Remington, Browning and Winchester Semi-autos, Ithaca and Marlin pumps and one 1977 Wing Master in my safes. If they passed a law tomorrow that said , a person could only own one shotgun, the 870 would stay. Its not the prettiest gun I own by a long shot, but taking all the conditions I hunt in, heat, cold, rain, sleet, snow, dust, etc. Id say its the most reliable.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas


Re: better

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:01 pm

if your options are a 870 or a 500 the 500 wins all day.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: better

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 pm

winchester1852 wrote:if your options are a 870 or a 500 the 500 wins all day.

:no:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:58 pm

mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:if your options are a 870 or a 500 the 500 wins all day.

:no:



you would be hard pressed to find a newly made 870 express that matched a newly made mossberg. :thumbsup:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: better

Postby Sask hillbilly » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Wingmaster is a nice twig, but pretty hard to pass on the browning all things considered. Don't waste your time on a cheap gun or next yr at this time you'll be spending again on something better
Sask hillbilly
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:43 am

Re: better

Postby mudpack » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 am

winchester1852 wrote:
mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:if your options are a 870 or a 500 the 500 wins all day.

:no:



you would be hard pressed to find a newly made 870 express that matched a newly made mossberg. :thumbsup:



You said "870", you didn't say "Express". To many of us older guys, 870 means Wingmaster.

I'll put a WM 870 up against a Mossberg 500 any day....and I think you would, too.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:13 pm

mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:
mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:if your options are a 870 or a 500 the 500 wins all day.

:no:



you would be hard pressed to find a newly made 870 express that matched a newly made mossberg. :thumbsup:



You said "870", you didn't say "Express". To many of us older guys, 870 means Wingmaster.

I'll put a WM 870 up against a Mossberg 500 any day....and I think you would, too.


One of my hunting buddies just called me and was pretty peeved. Yesterday, He went to buy his 14 year old grandson a new Mossberg 500 for xmas. Said the salesman went and got one in a box, buddy says I want to inspect if BEFORE you do the paper work and write down the Serial Number, so he pulls the barrel out of the box and the rib wasn't on the barrel straight. They open 2 more boxes and the same issue as on the first gun. After that the buddy has a bad taste for the Mossberg, leaves and goes to one of the family owned gun shops here in town and ends up buying a Remington Sportsman Field 870 for 420 bucks. He said its a lot nicer than the Express, comes with 3 chokes, laminated stock and has the old style Fleur De Lis checkering. The owner of the gun shop says, the gun is a non cataloged item and only available to gun shops not Walmart or the big stores.
Going over this afternoon to look at it before its wrapped up.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Maybe it's true that pumps will never die.

However, every day that you are hunting with a pump, is a day that you are wishing you were hunting with an auto.
And when you finally do get an auto, that pump is going to be left at home in the gun cabinet.

Perhaps you will occasionally pick it up, point it at an an imaginary pintail and work the slide, so you can hear that satisfying clack-snick sound.

But, when you have a decent auto, your pump will collect dust because you will be taking the auto hunting.

A pump isn't a stepping stone to the gun you really want. It's a distraction and an obstacle to achieving your goal of getting the gun that you really want to use.

Don't get a pump.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5848
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: better

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:35 pm

copterdoc wrote:Maybe it's true that pumps will never die.

However, every day that you are hunting with a pump, is a day that you are wishing you were hunting with an auto.
And when you finally do get an auto, that pump is going to be left at home in the gun cabinet.

Perhaps you will occasionally pick it up, point it at an an imaginary pintail and work the slide, so you can hear that satisfying clack-snick sound.

But, when you have a decent auto, your pump will collect dust because you will be taking the auto hunting.

A pump isn't a stepping stone to the gun you really want. It's a distraction and an obstacle to achieving your goal of getting the gun that you really want to use.

Don't get a pump.


I say he needs to buy what he can afford and if that's a pump right now so be it, so what if he ends up later buying a semi auto and the pump is left at home, its paid for and he has a back up gun. Ive found out that most guys that are into guns don't shoot most of them all the time so they just draw dust too. Heck Ive got 4 NIB Colt Single Action Armys, Ive never even shot , bought them cause I liked and wanted them. Copterdoc, Id bet you have a few that draws dust also.
Last edited by cluckmeister on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:37 pm

cluckmeister wrote:I say he needs to buy what he can afford and if that's a pump right now so be it,
$500 spent on a pump so he can have a gun right now, is $500 that he can't put towards a reliable auto that he really wants.

There are plenty of quality 3" semi-autos available for under $600.
That's what he needs to be looking for.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5848
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: better

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:05 pm

mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:
mudpack wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:if your options are a 870 or a 500 the 500 wins all day.

:no:



you would be hard pressed to find a newly made 870 express that matched a newly made mossberg. :thumbsup:



You said "870", you didn't say "Express". To many of us older guys, 870 means Wingmaster.

I'll put a WM 870 up against a Mossberg 500 any day....and I think you would, too.


yup your right , the wm and the 500 are not even in the same category :beer:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

Re: better

Postby Hat Flats » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:22 pm

copterdoc wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:I say he needs to buy what he can afford and if that's a pump right now so be it,
$500 spent on a pump so he can have a gun right now, is $500 that he can't put towards a reliable auto that he really wants.

There are plenty of quality 3" semi-autos available for under $600.
That's what he needs to be looking for.


The ONLY Auto you will find that will rival a BPS or Wingmaster quality for under $600.00 is a Beretta 390/3901 and it will take some leg work to find it but you can if you try and it would be worth it.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: better

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Clyde,
I was wondering if you have a Academy store where you live? They are the only importer of the Yildiz shotguns. I have a 12ga O/U Yildiz that is a fantastic gun for the money. Yildiz just recently came out with a new pump gun. I am still trying to get the extra cash to buy one myself. I know for Yildiz reputation that the gun is a good one. The new price is very do-able at only $279. This would make one heck of a first duck gun for anyone or even a good second gun for an ole timer. Unfortunately, Academy Sports are only located in the southern states from Texas to Florida. I am in Oklahoma City and I have four stores a short drive for me. Just a thought for ya, it all depends on where your at.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: better

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:33 pm

10gaOkie wrote:Clyde,
I was wondering if you have a Academy store where you live? They are the only importer of the Yildiz shotguns. I have a 12ga O/U Yildiz that is a fantastic gun for the money. Yildiz just recently came out with a new pump gun. I am still trying to get the extra cash to buy one myself. I know for Yildiz reputation that the gun is a good one. The new price is very do-able at only $279. This would make one heck of a first duck gun for anyone or even a good second gun for an ole timer. Unfortunately, Academy Sports are only located in the southern states from Texas to Florida. I am in Oklahoma City and I have four stores a short drive for me. Just a thought for ya, it all depends on where your at.

Chris


Chris, I have a Academy about a mile from my home and The Yildiz shotguns are nice looking guns, however Id rather spend 279 on a used Remington or Browning. Reason being should a person want to ever resell the gun, in most cases one could get his money back when if the gun was a Yildiz reselling it would be would be hard and losing money would be a certainty.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:48 pm

I have a different outlook on that. I have owned and sold two other Yildiz O/Us that were also SPZ-ME's just like the one I have. I bought one used, one new and then resold them. I made money on the transactions as most people do not know what they sold for new. The Yildiz is not a cheap gun by any means as one might think. Before I started shooting the Yildiz, I owned a Browning Citori and Beretta 686 O/Us, I liked the Yildiz so much I sold my other O/Us. My faith in making more money on resale is in the Yildiz over Rem and Browning. I have a 1100 Rem and two BPS Brownings right now that I cant sell like I can a Yildiz. When you put a Yildiz in a perspective buyer's hands, they gotta have it. I might add, that only one out of four stores, near me, has one of these pumps in stock right now. That one gun is the only one I have seen.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: better

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Chris, you say you made money on the transactions as most people do not know what they sold for new. Then those people didn't do their home work. LOL True there are a lot of used Remington and Brownings on the used market, but even though that market is flooded the prices don't go down on them. One more thing I guarantee you can find replacement parts for the Remington and Browning, I wouldn't make that guarantee with the Yildiz.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Briley is the US service rep for Yildiz. Parts are easily had from them in Texas. I have ordered chokes from them for my O/U with no problem. I guess I have done my homework on the Yildiz and been a long time viewer of Shotgun World, "I love my Yildiz" links. Like I think I posted, the only neg thing I can see about the Yildiz pump is a better recoil pad must be fitted. My O/U was the same way. Limbsaver makes a pad for the O/U but I think the pump is too new for one to be available yet. Both of my Yildiz guns I sold were local sales and in person. They were quick and easy, the Yildiz is a easy sell when you put the gun in a buyers hand. Those guys dont do homework on their gun purchases like us online guys. If they like the way it looks and feels they buy.
Nothing for me to gain here if you buy one or not, just trying to give you another good option.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: better "used" shotgun?

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:03 am

10gaOkie wrote:Clyde,
I was wondering if you have a Academy store where you live? They are the only importer of the Yildiz shotguns. I have a 12ga O/U Yildiz that is a fantastic gun for the money. Yildiz just recently came out with a new pump gun. I am still trying to get the extra cash to buy one myself. I know for Yildiz reputation that the gun is a good one. The new price is very do-able at only $279. This would make one heck of a first duck gun for anyone or even a good second gun for an ole timer. Unfortunately, Academy Sports are only located in the southern states from Texas to Florida. I am in Oklahoma City and I have four stores a short drive for me. Just a thought for ya, it all depends on where your at.

Chris


there about as common in mn as a popeyes or sonic restraunt. ( none ) hahahah i havent heard much of yildiz other than the name.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: better

Postby mudpack » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:40 am

"The ONLY Auto you will find that will rival a BPS or Wingmaster quality for under $600.00 is a Beretta 390/3901 and it will take some leg work to find it... Kurt"

Unfortunately, Kurt is 100% right....if we're talking new autos.

Most under-$600 autoloaders are not considered "quality" by any means, they are "budget".
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:32 pm

mudpack wrote:"The ONLY Auto you will find that will rival a BPS or Wingmaster quality for under $600.00 is a Beretta 390/3901 and it will take some leg work to find it... Kurt"

Unfortunately, Kurt is 100% right....if we're talking new autos.

Most under-$600 autoloaders are not considered "quality" by any means, they are "budget".


To echo these guys..spot on!

Also an alternative, consider the Excel S/A (currently marketed by H&R) a turkish made gas-operated S/A weapon. Our bunch acquired 8 of them (~2001) as back-up pieces (were then imported by BC Outdoors as the Verona 405-XL model) however, several of the guys have used them (ever since) as their go-to gun. The durn things go bang with regularity (one of the guys got just short of 500 rounds on the skeet range before it had to be cleaned) as well as ALL of them shoot POA to POI.

For the $$'s, it's a real value in production shotguns...something that's a rare bird these days.

We paid ~$250 for them back then and I understand the Excel model is ~$400USD nowadays.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: better "used" shotgun?

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:54 am

checked out something out today. Its not the beautiful walnut stocked boom stick. but i talked to the front desk guy and he asked me what id use it for. i said duck hunting/ trap. he asked my budget then pointed to the benelli nova. 10 year warranty sounds pretty good to me. what do you guys think?



Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: better

Postby Cary » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:31 am

Eight months ago I was going through the same process you are going through now (trying to decide on a new 12 gauge pump shotgun). After looking, reading, and handling many guns I purchased the Benelli Nova. I was able to get a new one in black for $389.99. With the features and quality of the gun I think it was a decent price. The only thing I have heard people changing on them is the recoil pad and Limbsaver makes a replacement for it. They are also 3.5 in capable if that is something you are interested in.
Cary
Cary
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:15 am
Location: Boise, ID

Re: better

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:29 am

DuckManClyde wrote:checked out something out today. Its not the beautiful walnut stocked boom stick. but i talked to the front desk guy and he asked me what id use it for. i said duck hunting/ trap. he asked my budget then pointed to the benelli nova. 10 year warranty sounds pretty good to me. what do you guys think?



Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk


Clyde its not what the guys on this board think that's important, its what you think, it you like it and it fits and feels good to you, buy it
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: better

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:54 am

Yuchi1 wrote:
mudpack wrote:"The ONLY Auto you will find that will rival a BPS or Wingmaster quality for under $600.00 is a Beretta 390/3901 and it will take some leg work to find it... Kurt"

Unfortunately, Kurt is 100% right....if we're talking new autos.

Most under-$600 autoloaders are not considered "quality" by any means, they are "budget".


To echo these guys..spot on!

Also an alternative, consider the Excel S/A (currently marketed by H&R) a turkish made gas-operated S/A weapon. Our bunch acquired 8 of them (~2001) as back-up pieces (were then imported by BC Outdoors as the Verona 405-XL model) however, several of the guys have used them (ever since) as their go-to gun. The durn things go bang with regularity (one of the guys got just short of 500 rounds on the skeet range before it had to be cleaned) as well as ALL of them shoot POA to POI.

For the $$'s, it's a real value in production shotguns...something that's a rare bird these days.

We paid ~$250 for them back then and I understand the Excel model is ~$400USD nowadays.


I have had an Excell auto for 5 yrs. Paid $300 at the Academy. It is built similiar to the Rem 1100 but with the bolt spring around the Magazine. It doesn't have the parts that have to be replaced on a 1100 except for the 0 ring. It has a sleeve around the magazine that you turn around for heavy loads as it is a 3 inch gun. Also the bolt lever will not shoot off using heavy loads like it does on a 1100. It also uses the Rem chokes. I shot mine last year in 10F weather without a problem, in fact it has never missed a beat in the 5 years. I shoot alot of fast stuff in mine around 1750 fps. I shoot it mostly. Currently they are $379 at the Academy. Ned S almost 85 yrs old.
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: better "used" shotgun?

Postby winchester1852 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 am

DuckManClyde wrote:checked out something out today. Its not the beautiful walnut stocked boom stick. but i talked to the front desk guy and he asked me what id use it for. i said duck hunting/ trap. he asked my budget then pointed to the benelli nova. 10 year warranty sounds pretty good to me. what do you guys think?



Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk


It would do what you want it too but so would a mossberg .
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am
Location: CANADA

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: munchman and 17 guests