How do you clean your gun?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby ChasinTail » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm sure everyone probably cleans theirs differently and some not at all.

How often and what do you use?
ChasinTail
hunter

Re: How do you clean your gun?

Postby ChasinTail » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Also, is there anything you can do for scratches on a matte barrel?

Just leave it and put a big sticker over it? :biggrin:
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:13 am

Most times I use a bore snake and an air compressor. Mine get cleaned/blown out/oiled after every hunt where the gun gets drenched in rain. Otherwise it gets cleaned about every five or six hunts.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Quacker-Wacker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 am

I use the same Gunslick foaming bore scrubber that I use on all my rifles. I fill up the bore with it, let it sit for a 1/2hr or so then just run the old bore snake threw it. Works like a charm! I usually clean and oil them every other hunt or so unless they get wet.
Quacker-Wacker
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 am

I usually clean my guns after every other hunt unless they get wet or dirtier then normal in a dusty layout blind,etc. I use gun scrubber on some parts, but usually don't need it. I clean them often enough (once a week; hunt 3-5 days a week) and they just need wiped out and re oiled. I use militec on my gas pistons and breakfree on the bolt slides. Never had a weather related/dirt related malfunction ever.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:32 am

I do breakdown quicker cleanings after almost hunt (that does involve a quick snake through the barrel) and then once or twice a season I will do a more thorough breakdown cleaning where I take the trigger assembly out, springs out, etc.

On my cleanings I mainly use Breakfree CLP. I thought about switching to another CLP like Frog Lube, Gunzilla, etc based on great reviews for them but I have used Breakfree for well over a decade and never had any issues with any of my guns.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I clean my duck gun after about 30 rounds. Experience has indicated to me that this will prevent any problems.
I pull the barrel off and clean the bore. Pull the choke out and clean both sets of threads. Pull the bolt and the trigger assembly out, dunk them in a can of WD40, then brush them clean and blow them off/out with 120psi shop air. Then, flush them in a solvent parts cleaner, blow them dry with 120psi shop air. Dous them with RemOil, then blow the oil off/out with shop air.
Spray the inside of the receiver with WD-40, blow it out with shop air. Put a drop of RemOil on each bolt groove in the receiver. Re-assemble. Polish the carbon deposits off the magazine tube and scrub the piston.
At the end of the season, I do all the above but also remove the magazine spring and follower and clean the inside of the magazine tube and the spring and follower. Lightly lube with RemOil and re-assemble. Remove stock and recoil spring. Clean and lube the inside of the recoil spring tube, the spring, and the follower. Reassemble.
While everything is apart for cleaning, I inspect for worn or broken parts, especially the buffers.

About every 5 years I replace the O-ring, whether it needs it or not.
Last edited by mudpack on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:33 pm

clean the bore with bore cleaner (not the copper solvent kind), and clean the choke, also make sure the gas piston is clean. I do that every 2-3 hunts.

then every 3rd time or so I clean the bore, I will strip down the gun, blow out the trigger assembly with my air compressor, clean all bolt parts, and lightly lube with Break Free CLP. hasn't failed me yet!

And on my shotguns that are blued I will oil up the metal after I'm finished with the internals, they also get oiled up about every other month regardless.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Frylock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:58 pm

I hunt about three to five days a week and maybe will clean my gun three times all season. When I do clean it the gun gets completely disassembled and treated to hot shower under the kitchen faucet and a very light coating of CLP Breakfree before reassembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby pedro13 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:50 am

Clean the barrel after the hunt if more than a few shots fired. When shooting my gas guns, I will clean the mag tube and action bars and lube. When shooting my m2, just barrel and exterior till end of season. When the season is done I will soak non camo guns in kerosene and clean all parts that way. For my camo guns I clean it with boiling water with simple green cleaner. When the kerosene dries it leaves a nice oil coat. The kerosene trick was taught to me by my waterfowl mentor, he died a few years back at age 93. He would clean his old a5 this way, I never saw a shell hang up for him.
pedro13
hunter

Postby fishduck » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 pm

I hang my 1979 painted up 870 wingmaster over the side of the boat and hang the sling on the oar lock as I run the boat in after the hunt. Been working well for years. Now for my auto the process is a little more complicated.

Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 am

Similar to Mudpack I do a complete disassemble, clean and reassemble after each hunt (Benelli or A5 here, so there are no o-rings or pistons). Run a bore snake through the barrel with the front end soaked in a dab of Hoppes powder solvent. Remove & clean the choke tube, cleaning the threads in the barrel and reinsert it with a dab of choke tube lube and do 1 last trip with the snake with the tag end sprayed with a bit of good gun oil.

Remove the bolt & trigger assemblies, disassemble it & wipe the springs & firing pin clean, LIGHTLY oil the pieces and reassemble. Blow out the trigger group w/ compressed air and if it is really dirty I'll spray it w/ cleaner & let it soak for a bit before blowing it out. Then lightly oil the hammer pivots & springs. Wipe out the receiver, using q-tips to get the gunk from the channels, bolt release button and magazine keeper levers.

If I've been in rain or wading where the stock is submerged I'll remove the stock and clean out the recoil assembly (even if it hasn't been wet I'll clean the recoil assembly at least 1 or 2 times per year. When leaning my Gold 20 I do the same steps except I clean the piston and scrub the carbon from the mag tube w/ a small brass bristle brush. I also inspect the magazine and remove the spring & follower to clean the tube and components if necessary (this is a once per year event in most cases).

When reassembling I put a small drop of Tetra Gun Grease on the channels in the receiver for the bolt and work it back and forth to distribute as I reassemble the gun. Then I lightly spray a rag w/ oil and wipe all smudges and fingerprints off the metal before putting her back into the safe.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:20 am

apexhunter wrote:Similar to Mudpack I do a complete disassemble, clean and reassemble after each hunt (Benelli or A5 here, so there are no o-rings or pistons). Run a bore snake through the barrel with the front end soaked in a dab of Hoppes powder solvent. Remove & clean the choke tube, cleaning the threads in the barrel and reinsert it with a dab of choke tube lube and do 1 last trip with the snake with the tag end sprayed with a bit of good gun oil.

your barrels have to be plastic lined by now. I've got a bore snake and it does practically nothing to remove plastic wad fouling.

a bore snake is only good for a quick swab on the trap/ skeet range to remove unburnt powder and what little loose plastic there may be. IMO
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby duckslayer352 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:30 pm

break free with clp. very light amount. doesn't freeze as ive had rem-oil do to me. doesn't gunk up. ideal for waterfowl hunting
phil Robertson thinks being gay is wrong. gays make a big pout about it, who would've guessed...
duckslayer352
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm

870 express and 1187.
During the season, unless it gets really wet like dunked or rained on, I'll open the action and hose it out with brake cleaner or alcohol and toothbrush. Cycle the action a number of times and leave open to dry.
1187 specific. Clean mag tube/piston/gas ports with alcohol and steel wool to get the powder burns off the tube.
If they get real wet, or at the end of season, tear down and clean in more detail with alcohol/ toothbrush.
End of year, same thing, plus a little clp to the internals, and a wiping with 3n1 oil to the outside of the 1187. 870 is painted.
No lube during the season at all.
talltimber
hunter

Postby dduckman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm

wipe it down after each use, deep clean after 30-50 rounds or so and once or twice a year complete tear down and clean, I use a brush on my cordless drill to get it cleared and then some flitz on a mop with the cordless as well, the chrome lined barrel looks like a mirror!
dduckman
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum