Versa max questions

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Versa max questions

Postby Durbin80 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 am

Ok guys I just bought my new versa max and I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me out.. I'm wanting to go pattern this gun and see which choke tube fits my need.. I mostly goose hunt in fields that geese are using, I do have a problem getting geese to get close.. But I also public duck hunt a walk-in area which choke would be best?? Another question is while patterning a gun can I use lead shot instead of steel since it's soooo expensive or would I just not get the same results???
Durbin80
hunter

Re: Versa max questions

Postby Bug Doc » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:29 am

Congrats on the new purchase. Hope you have a lot of fun with the new gun.

Unfortunately lead throws very different patterns than steel, so you have to pattern the actual ammo you are going to shoot. My advice would be to first determine the maximum range you will be shooting at birds and start your patterning there (forget about the old 40 yard adage for the time being). Adjust your choke until you consistently get at least 60 well-distributed hits in a 30" circle for large geese, 80 hits in 30" for medium geese, and/or 100 hits in 30" for small geese/large ducks. That will ensure that you have sufficient pattern density at all ranges you may be shooting. Good luck!
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby GoosinNoVa » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:20 pm

My versamax patterns very well with the carlsons waterfowl 3 pack
GoosinNoVa
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:22 pm

You'll need to pattern with the ammo you plan to hunt with. patterns vary by brand even if you have the "same" load in both brands of ammo. You'll also need to pattern at the distances you shoot birds at the most.

No use in patterning a load you use at 20yds, if you realistically shoot 35-45yds with that load most of the time. also no use in patterning a load you arent you using (like lead loads) at the distances you hunt. that will tell you nothing, set up patterning to closely replicate your hunting environment as you can for best results. I'd also suggest patterning the factory chokes before you go and blow some money on after market chokes.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Durbin80 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks guys.. I've been hunting with remington all my life and I have a patternmaster for my 887 I swore by and it doesn't fit the versa max just wondering If I should buy another one or not
Durbin80
hunter

Postby bigyin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 pm

briley i/m stays in my versa max for both ducks and geese with great results
bigyin
hunter

Postby The Drake » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Do a search I did extensive patterning with my Versamax
The Drake
hunter

Postby Durbin80 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:22 pm

I was told to just pick any choke tube to fit your needs then run pattern tests on multiple brands of ammo..??? Is this the best thing to do ???
Durbin80
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Durbin80 wrote:I was told to just pick any choke tube to fit your needs then run pattern tests on multiple brands of ammo..??? Is this the best thing to do ???

can, asking places here can steer you away from a few chokes that dont work well.

Personally I'd start with ammo you currently shoot as you probably have some on hand, and its probably what you like. But considering some ammo you like over others is a start as well.

Have you shot any patterns through the factory tubes yet??
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Durbin80 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:55 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
Durbin80 wrote:I was told to just pick any choke tube to fit your needs then run pattern tests on multiple brands of ammo..??? Is this the best thing to do ???

can, asking places here can steer you away from a few chokes that dont work well.

Personally I'd start with ammo you currently shoot as you probably have some on hand, and its probably what you like. But considering some ammo you like over others is a start as well.

Have you shot any patterns through the factory tubes yet??

I have not shot it yet I've had it for three days and I work three jobs so I haven't had time but everyone on here has said the factory chokes do not hold a very tight pattern and it makes sence saying the biggest choke isn't even a modified...
Durbin80
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Before you run out and start buying chokes, I'd suggest that you put in the .014 ( LM) choke and shoot a few patterns at the distance you normally shoot your birds. Then you'll know if you need a tighter choke or not.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:38 am

I have been running a pattern master in mine, love it. It took me a long time to cave in to buying one, I don't care for hype. It honestly throws tight patterns out to 50. Far, far better then the tubes Remington included with the gun.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby dduckman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Before you do anything load a round in the gun that you plan on hunting with and fire it from 15 feet, yes 15 feet, this way you can make sure point of aim is good and them you can start your 35-40 yard pattern work.

I shoot decoying birds and normally run an I/C or Light Mod. choke with steel. still kill a few long birds on the way out!
dduckman
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum