Winchester SX2 - dented primer, no boom

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Winchester SX2 - dented primer, no boom

Postby Anas rubripes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:50 pm

For the first time in the decade or more that I've owned this gun, it has started to misfire for me. I pull up, pull the trigger and nada. I clear the round (and end up losing one of those fancy expensive rounds in the drink more often than not), the next one might go off, and then another click with no boom. It doesn't always do the same pattern and sometimes all 3 will go off but I've have more dented primers in the past few trips than the whole time I've owned the gun. I thought for sure that it was some debris around the hammer, firing pin, or firing pin spring, but after cleaning the trigger assembly and bolt very, very well and blowing all sorts of neglect out of it, it is still dinging the primers without sending shot toward the heavens. It has had many rounds though it over the past decade or so, but this seems to have come about all of a sudden. Is my firing pin spring just wore out? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anas rubripes
hunter

Re: Winchester SX2 - dented primer, no boom

Postby War Wagon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 pm

I would replace the firing pin and spring.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Buy a M2 :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:47 am

I doubt it's the FP spring, that is a return spring. It could be worn FP but I would suspect the hammer spring. I would clean the bolt spring and pin. It also could be just a dirty trigger group. I would remove it and clean it with a good spray solvent and tooth brush, and lube the hammer and trigger pins with CLP.
z51
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:31 am

cootlover wrote:Buy a M2 :thumbsup:

I would agree with this...................... NOT

why turn a less than $50 fix into a $1,200 fix?

Id check your bolt assembly for gunk, then try replacing springs and pin. I'll bet that takes care of the problem.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:55 am

have you cleaned the tube/action spring and plunger?

while at it look and see if bolt assembly is hitting the back of action...being that old and if you have not replaced the buffer it will be hitting the back of action. another factor is if fire alot of rounds....if so order an action spring and buffer at same time....and replace but try the above and below steps and see what you have...i know for sure i would not go buy another gun especially 1500 bucks plus...they have just as many problems ....my superx2 has atleast 10,000 rounds of steel reloads through it and still going strong.

after doing that cleaning (action spring /plunger/tube) ect use sythetic oil for spring tube ect.....coat with light film of synthetic oil like hoppes 9 synthetic ect.

clean the trigger group then when you think you are done go to back of trigger group and clean the main trigger spring!!!!
take pin out were the main spring for trigger is (this is the part of trigger that sets on the trigger gaurd buffer), there will be pin to take out then main trigger spring and plunger will come out. clean that area were it cam e out and clean spring and plunger oil lightly with synthetic oil like main spring.

put back together same way parts came out.

lightly oil the pivet points ect of trigger group and springs up were hammer and hammer link area(also check for excess wear at pivet point on the hammer link).

you should have the receiver area clean and oiled already of coarse, and the piston assembly(gas regulator)SLEEVE SPRING MAGAZINE SPRING/TUBE ECT) basically the whole gun.

then take look at bolt check firing pin for being bent ect and that the spring is moving freely.

if looks good and clean put gun back together

if the action is moving alot faster when closing it should work but if the action slows when gets cold ,by using the synthetic oil it stays fluid when colder...then you are in need of action spring....and plunger if it is grooved ect.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:51 am

The abbreviation for etcetera is etc.
z51
hunter

Postby Anas rubripes » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks guys, that gives me a number of specific places to look and things to try. Well with the notable exception of buying a Benelli. I will try to let everyone know how it plays out. We're on our way to southern Illinois right now for a week long duck hunting trip and coyotes are just around the corner for me, so I'd like it to go boom when I let the hammer fall from here on out. Thanks again !
Anas rubripes
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 pm

My old faithful Benelli SBE started doing the same thing. I replaced the hammer spring and it has been great. Good luck and keep us posted. The sx2 is a good gun. I really like my sx3!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby matt58 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:03 pm

I had this same problem with my SX2 (prob has 12krounds through it). I did a complete break down and clean (even the entire trigger assembly). This worked for a bit, then I ordered some parts to fix another issue and figured what the hell and ordered a new firing pin and spring. Once I was able to get the old one out, I placed it next to the new one and there was a noticable difference in firing pin length. The old one had been worn down from so many rounds! Replaced it and shes still up and kicking
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby Anas rubripes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:41 am

To report on how she worked;
First off our 5 days of duck hunting only produce 4 dead ducks, between the 3 of us, so I didn't give the ol' girl all of the field testing I would have liked to. Nevertheless...

I blew out and scrubbed down the specific spots that goosepit suggested, really focusing on the trigger spring that sits above the safety. I burned through a half can of aerosol somethingorother getting everything I could out. Once I got it put back together I decided to run it almost dry. I'm guessing I shot maybe a box and only had one misfire. So, its not absolutely resolved yet and I suppose that some of this problem may be resulting from wear, but it seems to be better right now.

Its a gun that I've used shamelessly and I shoot really well. One of the guys at work told me that he has had one of his duck guns reblued twice over the past years. In the process of disassembly, they end up cleaning the gun really, really well before reassembling it. My gun shows signs of use, especially after three years of gunning the Jersey coast in saltwater, and I have thought about getting it dipped a number of times, so this may be the final impetus.

I also noted the striking and wear on the back of the receiver that as suggested was from the bolt traveling too far due to a weak stock spring. I've had that apart before, but the screws holding on the butt plate must be a little rusty because I gave a meager attempt to getting them out to no avail. I'll try a little harder and see what it looks like in there at some point.

In the meantime, hopefully my new found low rate of misfire will continue because its time to hunt coyotes. If we all think that the time, energy, and money we invest trying to get a shot at a duck is high, coyotes are even more. So, if I try all season to get one shot, I really need it to go boom.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. That's twice this year the shotgun forum has saved me.
Anas rubripes
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum