To report on how she worked;
First off our 5 days of duck hunting only produce 4 dead ducks, between the 3 of us, so I didn't give the ol' girl all of the field testing I would have liked to. Nevertheless...
I blew out and scrubbed down the specific spots that goosepit suggested, really focusing on the trigger spring that sits above the safety. I burned through a half can of aerosol somethingorother getting everything I could out. Once I got it put back together I decided to run it almost dry. I'm guessing I shot maybe a box and only had one misfire. So, its not absolutely resolved yet and I suppose that some of this problem may be resulting from wear, but it seems to be better right now.
Its a gun that I've used shamelessly and I shoot really well. One of the guys at work told me that he has had one of his duck guns reblued twice over the past years. In the process of disassembly, they end up cleaning the gun really, really well before reassembling it. My gun shows signs of use, especially after three years of gunning the Jersey coast in saltwater, and I have thought about getting it dipped a number of times, so this may be the final impetus.
I also noted the striking and wear on the back of the receiver that as suggested was from the bolt traveling too far due to a weak stock spring. I've had that apart before, but the screws holding on the butt plate must be a little rusty because I gave a meager attempt to getting them out to no avail. I'll try a little harder and see what it looks like in there at some point.
In the meantime, hopefully my new found low rate of misfire will continue because its time to hunt coyotes. If we all think that the time, energy, and money we invest trying to get a shot at a duck is high, coyotes are even more. So, if I try all season to get one shot, I really need it to go boom.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. That's twice this year the shotgun forum has saved me.