New Excell

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New Excell

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 am

Checked out the new 20 and 12 gage Excells at the Academy. They now are walnut with the sleeve to shoot 3 inchers deleted. It also now has a magazine cut off. Very pretty gun which now costs $400 vs $300 for the plastic one 5 yrs ago. Still shooting my plastic one and it has never missed a beat in 5 yrs. Ned S the young 85 yr old.
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm


Re: New Excell

Postby mudpack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:25 am

Jon Bergren wrote: Still shooting my plastic one and it has never missed a beat in 5 yrs.

That might be because you only hunt it about three times a year.

If I were shooting that gun, it'd be a small pile of broken parts before the first season was over.
If I wanted a duck gun and had a max of $400 to spend, I'd be looking for a well-used Wingmaster. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: New Excell

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:01 pm

mudpack wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote: Still shooting my plastic one and it has never missed a beat in 5 yrs.

That might be because you only hunt it about three times a year.

If I were shooting that gun, it'd be a small pile of broken parts before the first season was over.
If I wanted a duck gun and had a max of $400 to spend, I'd be looking for a well-used Wingmaster. :thumbsup:


Our group has eight (8) of them with most starting the 12th season of useage. No hiccups thus far.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: New Excell

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:52 pm

Yep! I like my Excell so much that I'm going to buy another one selling my two 1100's and the 28" Hastings barrel for them. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: New Excell

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:Our group has eight (8) of them with most starting the 12th season of useage. No hiccups thus far.


You might want to think about running with a higher-class group of guys, yuch.
:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: New Excell

Postby fishduck » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:04 pm

I don't have any experience with the Excell but I have a H & R ultra sluger that is excelent gun.
fishduck
hunter
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:34 am
Location: Pasadena, Maryland

Re: New Excell

Postby cootlover » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:54 pm

So everything on the internet is true then.
cootlover
hunter
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: New Excell

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:26 am

mudpack wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:Our group has eight (8) of them with most starting the 12th season of useage. No hiccups thus far.


You might want to think about running with a higher-class group of guys, yuch.
:biggrin:


Most of these guys could buy you (successful businessowners) and never even blink.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: New Excell

Postby mudpack » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:37 am

Yuchi1 wrote:Most of these guys could buy you (successful businessowners) and never even blink.


You are equating guys who have money with guys who have class. :fingerpt:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: New Excell

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:51 pm

mudpack wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:Most of these guys could buy you (successful businessowners) and never even blink.


You are equating guys who have money with guys who have class. :fingerpt:


Or, guys with the gumption to recognize a value when they see one and with enough assets in the bank, etc. to not give a rotating rodent's hiney what some wannabe snob might think. :welcome:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: New Excell

Postby z51 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Can someone explain about the "sleeve to shoot 3" deleted part? What sleeve? How does it work?
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: New Excell

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:28 pm

z51 wrote:Can someone explain about the "sleeve to shoot 3" deleted part? What sleeve? How does it work?


They had a chromed sleeve (situated on the magazine tube) that you set one way for light loads and reversed it for magnum loads, somewhat like the friction ring arrangement on Browning A5's.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: New Excell

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:04 pm

You can still buy the Excell like the one I bought only they are up $100. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: New Excell

Postby z51 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
z51 wrote:Can someone explain about the "sleeve to shoot 3" deleted part? What sleeve? How does it work?


They had a chromed sleeve (situated on the magazine tube) that you set one way for light loads and reversed it for magnum loads, somewhat like the friction ring arrangement on Browning A5's.


Thanks
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: New Excell

Postby z51 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:You can still buy the Excell like the one I bought only they are up $100. Ned S


I bought the Yildiz A71 3" 20 gauge auto instead. It was $400 with walnut stocks, 5 chokes, and service from Briley. Throws nice patterns with #4 steel and MOD factory choke. Nice bird gun with very tight tolerances and good finish.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: New Excell

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:07 am

Ned, they quit having the Excels on their shelves at the Academy stores here. They had them for awhile and quit. I am thinking hard about a 20 myself and have just about decided on the Escort 20. It feels really good to me plus it has several features that other makes dont come with. None of the Yildiz 20s have popped up here either that I have seen. I have seen the 12. By the way, I figured it up just the other night, and I have 19500 plus rounds through my Yildiz O/U without a glitch. Thats just in the last four years and I have had it longer than that. I have always liked the Yildiz. I have never hunted ducks with the 20 before nor reloaded for it either. So the 20ga world will be all new stuff for me. Its the first gun purchase I have been excited about in a long time.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: New Excell

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:21 am

Chris,

Both Academy's (Tulsa) have also quit stocking the Excells although Sports World (right down the street from one of them) still has them as an inventory item.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: Creek Nation of Oklahoma

Re: New Excell

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:54 am

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately we dont have a Sports World here in okc. I have pretty much decided on the Escort anyway. I really like everything about it except for one possible flaw. I am still trying to get to the bottom of it and should have an answer sometime Monday. The Escourt 12ga and 20ga use diff thread choke designs. The early Escort 20s had Huglu threads. The most recent models have a new thread pattern which as far as I understand is Remington threads but they are not cut in the same position as a Remchoke. I dont have a access to a 20ga Remchoke so I have no way to test this out. I have a gun buddy that is a dealer and is checking with Legacy about this. The gun only comes with two steel chokes which are IC and Mod. The other three are lead shot only. An extended aftermarket choke is the obvious option here but it may end up being a true custom made choke. It would be so much nicer to be able to order after market chokes already on hand by Briley or Carlson, etc. My first choice would be to order a custom Terror but I dont know if thats possible now.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: New Excell

Postby z51 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 am

Check out the A71 at Academy, I think a much better built gun than the Escort. See what you think.
z51
hunter
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 am
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: New Excell

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:45 am

I looked at the 12ga Yildiz auto, I was not nearly as impressed with it as the Escort. Of course, of the four Academy stores near me, none have a Yildiz 20 to look at. I am not in a hurry really to make a purchase so maybe they will get one in before then. Academy doesnt show that it even carries the 20ga on their website.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: New Excell

Postby Bernie P. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:59 am

I buy a gun to hunt and shoot with.Class never enters into the equation.Rich or poor smart or not cost is always a consideration unless you're just plain stupid.As a very wise redneck said you cant fix that
Bernie P.
hunter
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:16 am

Re: New Excell

Postby solway gunner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:17 am

Chris
Id be very ,very careful before you part with your cash on one of those Turkish Escorts.They over saturated the UK gun market 8yrs ago and were sold as cheap semi auto wildfowl/knockabout guns and have the worst reliability reputation ive ever known.,from general quality control to chokes warping with steel shot,they jam and misbehave like you wouldnt believe .Initialy they sold well because they were cheap and were available in 3.5".Within months the complaints were incredible.I stupidly bought a 3.5" for my Mrs,it behaved for a season then went downhill fast,it had a new barrel ,firing pin and spring and chokes re fitted by the importer under warranty as they all failed one by one.The final straw came and I threw it into a rough ebb tide after she lost a teal that id tried to finish off for her due to it misfiring 2 times in succession.Ihad to wait 3hrs for that damn tide to ebb before i could recover it.
Theyve done more good for the 2nd hand market over here than any marketing could ever do as people are buying used 3" 1100s ,old 300 series Berretas ,Benellis m90s etc as the pennys finaly dropped that these guns CAN handle steel shot and they are tried and tested reliable and because of this these guns are now commanding premium prices,but are still cheaper than a new Turkish lottery auto .
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Re: New Excell

Postby DUCKINout » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:30 am

solway gunner wrote:Chris
Id be very ,very careful before you part with your cash on one of those Turkish Escorts.They over saturated the UK gun market 8yrs ago and were sold as cheap semi auto wildfowl/knockabout guns and have the worst reliability reputation ive ever known.,from general quality control to chokes warping with steel shot,they jam and misbehave like you wouldnt believe .Initialy they sold well because they were cheap and were available in 3.5".Within months the complaints were incredible.I stupidly bought a 3.5" for my Mrs,it behaved for a season then went downhill fast,it had a new barrel ,firing pin and spring and chokes re fitted by the importer under warranty as they all failed one by one.The final straw came and I threw it into a rough ebb tide after she lost a teal that id tried to finish off for her due to it misfiring 2 times in succession.Ihad to wait 3hrs for that damn tide to ebb before i could recover it.
Theyve done more good for the 2nd hand market over here than any marketing could ever do as people are buying used 3" 1100s ,old 300 series Berretas ,Benellis m90s etc as the pennys finaly dropped that these guns CAN handle steel shot and they are tried and tested reliable and because of this these guns are now commanding premium prices,but are still cheaper than a new Turkish lottery auto .




I would like to confirm I had the same issues with the escort I purchased it was the 3 inch waterfowl edition. Had all the same problems with mine that solway gunner had plus a couple more had the but stock crack on me about 6 or 7 inches long asnwell as some other internals breaking on me. The only difference is mine did this all in the first season I hunted with it.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
User avatar
DUCKINout
hunter
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Great Falls, MT

Re: New Excell

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 am

After putting 20K rounds through my Turkish made Yildiz without a hitch, I am pretty much sold on Turkish guns. I have only owned two of them though. I have read all the reviews on the Escort Supreme and for the most part, its reviews are as good as some of the best made guns available, overall. My other choice for a 20 was finding a good used Benelli M1 or a Benelli SL 80 but I like the Escort choice better. Thanks for your imput though.
The 20ga Escort has features that come with this gun right out of the box, not all found on other guns. These include, over bore barrel, black chome barrel, bolt and charge handle, sling swivels, flouresent front sight, quality recoil pad and white chorme bore with allow action. Thus nothing to worry about dealing with rust or problems with the recoil spring with it being on the magazine tube. Plus it fits and feels perfect which is a main consideration to me. In other words, I dont have to modify it. The Escorts are stocked with high grade Turkish walnut which as anyone knows, tends to split in certain pieces and grains of wood. My oldest high grade shotgun has some high grade wood and I have owned it long enough for it to aquire a split in the forearm.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: New Excell

Postby solway gunner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:23 am

Chris i hear you,but theres a world of difference between a o/u and a semi auto ,an o/u is far more simple without moving parts to break or wear.I was just trying to forewarn as weve had those guns in our market a lot longer than you guys.,yes they put fancy sights on them and try to make them look like Italian guns ,yes quality has improved but not much.,if it were me id go M90.Good luck with it anyway.
solway gunner
hunter
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am
Location: scotland uk

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests