cripple gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

cripple gun

Postby quailhunter123 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:58 am

does anybody carry another gun just for shooting cripples?
"Remember don't tell your mother what went on in the duck blind"
Remington 11-87
Browning Magnum Auto 5 20
Remington Versa Max
Winchester Model 50 20 gauge
quailhunter123
hunter

Re: cripple gun

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Pretty sure by law you can only carry a single gun while hunting waterfowl. Could be wrong though.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby jdr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:11 pm

I carry a backup gun all the time here in Arkansas, but not a gun devoted to cripples.....most of our WMAs have a shell limit so having more than one gun isn't too big of a deal.
jdr
hunter

Postby mountain hunter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:12 pm

You can carry as many guns as you want so long as they ALL are only capable of holding a total of three shells. Unless your state says different.
mountain hunter
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 pm

jdr wrote:I carry a backup gun all the time here in Arkansas, but not a gun devoted to cripples.....most of our WMAs have a shell limit so having more than one gun isn't too big of a deal.

X2
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby jdr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 pm

Aunt Betty! I believe we ran into you opening weekend of duck season @ RB. We were in a camo colored/older camper. I remember speaking to you about camping in that tent in cold and you had a heater but not propane, what was it?
jdr
hunter

Postby Conewago Duck'n » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:36 pm

My A5 Magnum stays in the blind most times and I keep the xtrema in the boat if I need to chase down cripples. Keeps the A5 from getting too many dings.
Conewago Duck'n
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm

How is the cripple gun set up differently than your normal gun? I carry a few 3" #6 steels for killing cripples but that's all I do different.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby fishduck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:34 pm

I always take a second gun. Most of the time I leave it in the boat for cripples. In Marland you can take as many guns as you like waterfowl hunting. I have set in the boat hunting and two of us had four guns loaded and ready.

Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby quailhunter123 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 pm

T Man wrote:How is the cripple gun set up differently than your normal gun? I carry a few 3" #6 steels for killing cripples but that's all I do different.

I go with someone who uses a side by side ten gauge with F shot for cripples
Remington 11-87
Remington Versa Max
quailhunter123
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:53 pm

I used to hunt, on occasion, with a couple of guys who always had two guns apiece in the blind with them; one loaded for ducks, one loaded for geese. Nothing illegal about it.
As for cripples, shoot what you have in the gun. Being quick on the sluicer shot is far more important than the load used. That said, if I were to have loads just for cripples, I'd have about 1 3/8oz of steel 6's ready to go.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 pm

In Oklahoma you can have as many guns as you want loaded and ready to shoot. I normally have both a 10 and a 12 infront of me and ready to boogie.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:42 pm

I always have a back up gun. When I hunt shore line I leave my back up gun in the boat with a box of 6's. It's a lot easier not having to fumble around with a gun while you rushing trying to get down to the boat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:01 am

I usually have two guns in the boat or blind. One with a tight choke and one with a more open choke depending on how the ducks are working the decoys. We hunt a big river most of the time. I will shoot until the gun I'm using is empty on a cripple and then grab the tighter choked one if the more open one was in use or just stuff more shells in the tighter choked one if it was in use. I keep some extra rounds in an elastic butt stock shell holder on the tighter choked gun.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby Smith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:45 am

We seem to go through this on a regular basis. It's a state-by-state thing; not federal. In Michigan, and a few other states, there can only be one gun in possession for each member of the hunting party. I wouldn't take an extra one anyway, so it's no big deal to me.
Smith
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:04 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you feel that you need to have a second gun on stand by for cripples you need to either work on you shooting skills, watch your shot distances (pick closer shots), or change your choke and load combo.

shoot what ever ammo you have in your gun or the nearest shell. just shoot the dang duck and put it out. Never felt the need to cary a second gun with me in the blind to hunt with, except maybe if I was snow goose hunting.

99% of the time I dont even bring a spare gun, but if I did I would leave it in my truck unless it was needed.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby quailhunter123 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:19 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you feel that you need to have a second gun on stand by for cripples you need to either work on you shooting skills, watch your shot distances (pick closer shots), or change your choke and load combo.

shoot what ever ammo you have in your gun or the nearest shell. just shoot the dang duck and put it out. Never felt the need to cary a second gun with me in the blind to hunt with, except maybe if I was snow goose hunting.

99% of the time I dont even bring a spare gun, but if I did I would leave it in my truck unless it was needed.

so your saying you when ever you shoot a duck it dies before it hits the water?
Remington 11-87
Remington Versa Max
quailhunter123
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm

This year most of our hunting has been with a layout boat and a tender boat. We always have a shotgun ready to go in the tender boat, usually loaded with steel 6s or 4s. This increases the chance of a clean head or neck finishing shot. I don't know about the guy above, but if you shoot ducks and geese there are going to be cripples, and they can swim or flap away fast! We swoop in fast within 20-30 yards, kill the engine and wait for forward progress to cease before shooting the bird and scooping it up with a fishing net. The hardest are divers, they can dive before the pellets hit them sometimes......
blackrock
hunter

Postby jdr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:04 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you feel that you need to have a second gun on stand by for cripples you need to either work on you shooting skills, watch your shot distances (pick closer shots), or change your choke and load combo.

I agree 100%. I mean what the hell is a cripple gun....why not swat your cripples with your current gun. Most of my shots are less than 40 yds (timber), so the thought of a "cripple" gun is crazy.
jdr
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:33 pm

jdr wrote:I mean what the hell is a cripple gun....why not swat your cripples with your current gun. Most of my shots are less than 40 yds (timber), so the thought of a "cripple" gun is crazy.

Because the current gun will be empty by the time you need to make the shot. The majority of people on here don't hunt in timber btw.
After we shoot into a flock sometimes there's also hit birds still flying when everyone is empty...which is where the 2nd gun comes in even more handy than dispatching a swimmer. That winged bird that's still flying at 50yds will be done when I pick up a 10ga and shoot it.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:54 pm

I always carry a cripple / spare gun if I'm hunting in a blind now if I'm in timber or way back in the refuse on my bike I leave my spare in the truck.
I use a turkey choke in it that is a 16 inch pattern at 40 yards , this coke can be removed and a standard full put in if I need it as a spare gun for my self or a friend.
We hunt deep water lakes and no dogs allowed so a cripple gun with a tight choke is important.
Once they start diving on you in rough water it's tough to find them.

If someone ever tells you he has no cripples he is lying or he shoots no ducks.
Attachments
image.jpg
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum