SX3 vs Maxus

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SX3 vs Maxus

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:58 pm

I was saving up to buy a Maxus, but people are telling me the SX3 is the same as the Maxus, just without the bells and whistles. Should I get the SX3 or are the bells and whistles on the Maxus worth the extra $500-$600?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Re: SX3 vs Maxus

Postby troutman561 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:42 pm

I don't believe they are the same. I believe the sx3 and the Browning Silver are very similar. I could be wrong.
troutman561
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Basically the same gun internally, same gas system, at least my 2010 model SX3 is, can't say about the new model "black" SX3. Winchester has made it more affordable but my belief is it's only cosmetics not functionality. Still, either of 'em, a nice shotgun.

The Maxus does have mag cutoff and a different style forend, but when I was looking they both shouldered and pointed the same for me.
Now if you want to consider a new model A5 ? I've got a lightly shot 28" Stalker model I'm considering selling for a savings from what you will spend on the Maxus. PM me if interested.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:57 pm

The SX3 is not the same as the Maxus.
The SX3 and SX2 are the same as the Browning Silver. And almost the same as the Browning Gold.

The Maxus operates on the same design principles, but it's parts are not interchangeable.
It's not the same gun.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:59 pm

There aren't any "bells and whistles" on the SX2, SX3 or Browning Silver.

The only "bell or whistle" on the Browning Gold, or Maxus, is the Speed-Load feature.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:58 pm

the main obvious differences are the maxus as bigger gas piston holes and speed load. toss a coin can't go wrong with ether.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 pm

I have 2 Browning Golds and an SX3. Internally, they are virtually identical.
My SX3 also has the Speed Load feature.

If you are going 3 1/2" 12 gage, I'd go Maxus. If you are going 3", then the SX3.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 10Tenner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Maxis has the ProBore. Maxis weight is much lighter. SX3 has some design changes from SX2, stocks will not interchange, and the barrel will not fit inside the receiver, little notch on SX2 barrel interferes. SX2 and Silver you can interchange most parts, except the trigger group, receiver has different outer edge design. Sx2 and Silver barrels will interchange as well, and the buttock. 10tenner
10Tenner
hunter

Postby QuackMaster72 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:52 pm

As you probably know Browning bought out Winchester a few years ago. Now if you need any repairs and stuff for modern Winchester guns, you have to send it to browning to fix. The Browning Maxus is essentially the same gun as the SX3. I was in the same dilemma and I ended up buying the SX3 in Black field. Beautiful gun. Both guns share the same gas system. The one difference that i would like for the SX3 to have that the Maxus has is the quick disassembly with the lever under the forearm. Little thing to help duck killers. If all you want to do is lay out some ducks, Winchester SX3 in Black Shadow or Mossy Oak Camo would do better than the Maxus would.
QuackMaster72
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:43 pm

10Tenner wrote:Maxis has the ProBore. Maxis weight is much lighter. SX3 has some design changes from SX2, stocks will not interchange, and the barrel will not fit inside the receiver, little notch on SX2 barrel interferes. SX2 and Silver you can interchange most parts, except the trigger group, receiver has different outer edge design. Sx2 and Silver barrels will interchange as well, and the buttock. 10tenner

The Maxus,or at least mine, uses Invector Plus chokes. ProBore chokes go with the VersaMax.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:49 pm

QuackMaster72 wrote: ......If all you want to do is lay out some ducks, Winchester SX3 in Black Shadow or Mossy Oak Camo would do better than the Maxus would.

Uhhhh, what are you talking about? :huh:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 am

someone told me the sx3 doesn't have a shell stop, is that true? even my Baikal has a shell stop
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby sx2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:21 am

The maxus has a long stroke gas piston which is not the same as the gas system on Win sx3 which has a short stroke system.
But the Bolt and action are the same on both guns minus the speed feed+ Magazine cut off on Sx3. Read any good reviews on both guns it will tell you.

Regards :thumbsup:
sx2
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:38 am

Honk-n-quack wrote:someone told me the sx3 doesn't have a shell stop, is that true? even my Baikal has a shell stop
That depends on what the hell a shell stop is.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:56 am

dont know what its called but If I click it the shell sits under the action and one in the tube but if i dont click it I can just remove the one shell out if the barrel and close the action and not worry about another shell being loaded.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:04 am

Then the SX2, SX3, Gold, and Silver all have "shell stops".

For the Silver and SX2, you just have to hold down the bolt release, or use a finger to lift the carrier about 1/4" and rack the bolt with your other hand.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:17 am

does it have the ability to remove the shell out of the barrel and lock the action back with shells still in the mag or will it spit a shell out the magazine and into the reciever every time you pull the action back ?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 am

Honk-n-quack wrote:does it have the ability to remove the shell out of the barrel and lock the action back with shells still in the mag or will it spit a shell out the magazine and into the reciever every time you pull the action back ?

It will eject the shell out of the chamber, without sending a shell out of the magazine tube onto the carrier. However, it will not lock the bolt back.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:11 am

I've heard some bitching about the Maxus mag cut off lever getting snagged and accidentally activated.
Thus turning the gun into a single shot.

It's not a feature that you need.

Also, if you hunt the conservation order snow goose season, the Maxus can't accept an extension tube.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 am

QuackMaster72 wrote:As you probably know Browning bought out Winchester a few years ago. Now if you need any repairs and stuff for modern Winchester guns, you have to send it to browning to fix. The Browning Maxus is essentially the same gun as the SX3. I was in the same dilemma and I ended up buying the SX3 in Black field. Beautiful gun. Both guns share the same gas system. The one difference that i would like for the SX3 to have that the Maxus has is the quick disassembly with the lever under the forearm. Little thing to help duck killers. If all you want to do is lay out some ducks, Winchester SX3 in Black Shadow or Mossy Oak Camo would do better than the Maxus would.

Browning & Winchester are owned by FN (Fabrique Nationale) of Liege, Belgium who are the guys that made the initial run of John M.'s venerable A5.

I hunt with/know several guys that have shot SX3's for 5+ seasons and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

Regarding the Maxus, you might want to do a search on the gas spring situation(s) and trigger trapping issues. :eek:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:04 am

copterdoc wrote:.....mag cut off .....It's not a feature that you need.

I agree with copterdoc. I've never understood why or when you would need this feature. I've never wanted/needed it, and never used it on my other duck gun.

Just found out that only the 20 gage SX3 has the Speed Load feature......not the twelves. Odd. :huh:
I've used my 20 gage SX3 for about 1200 rounds and not only never used that feature, I never needed to use that feature, or even wanted to use that feature.

"Speed Load" and "Magazine Cutoff": useless "bells and whistles" in my opinion.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:55 am

Is the recoil about the same?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Well let me say this, I have reviewed and reviewed these two guns till I was blue in the face then reviewed some more. The browning silver was also in the mix. I really wanted the 3.5 shell capabilities. The silver is a great gun and the price was in my ball park, but it just did not fit right. Maxus fit fine, and so did the SX3; I really could not justify the xtra 300$ to 500$ for the maxus. The stuff I've read about the SX3 is all good with a few slight hiccups here and there.
I picked up my new SX3 on dec 27th 2013 and bought a box of 3.5 kents to go with it. Mind you, no one i hunt withas a 3.5 gun, so shooting one was new to me; and, I had no idea what to expect. However, I've read on DHC and other sites that it's not much fun and can be painful. Needless to say, I was extremly apprehensive. I figured shooting it in a hunting situation would not be as scary, so I ran a box of 3" through it with no problems: then on to the 3.5s. I loaded her up and waited. And then she came, a BANDED hen redhead. Just so happened, I had my youngest daughter on facetime; when, the bird flying left to right, slid ritght into my deeks. Told the kid, "Hang on! Got one coming." Bang, went the SX3... Down, went the duck. Keeping my daughter, lindsey, on the cell, all the while. I took my phone with me for the retrive, and lo and behold, she's banded. The kid watched the whole thing live! FREEKN SICK! We were so pumped. We're still not over it, and we probably never will be.
Oh, and that 3.5 I shot.... I went through the whole box and could barely tell the difference. I had the best hunt of my duck hunting life, with my new SX3. I LOVE THIS GUN!
I would like to take this opportunity to thank my lovley wife for my new shotgun, and my kid, for calling me at precisely the right time.

to 500$
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm

mudpack wrote:
copterdoc wrote:.....mag cut off .....It's not a feature that you need.

I agree with copterdoc. I've never understood why or when you would need this feature. I've never wanted/needed it, and never used it on my other duck gun.

Just found out that only the 20 gage SX3 has the Speed Load feature......not the twelves. Odd. :huh:
I've used my 20 gage SX3 for about 1200 rounds and not only never used that feature, I never needed to use that feature, or even wanted to use that feature.

"Speed Load" and "Magazine Cutoff": useless "bells and whistles" in my opinion.

It is handy to pull a #2 regular load and quickly drop in a swatter load.
z51
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:29 pm

I hunt with/know several guys that have shot SX3's for 5+ seasons and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

Regarding the Maxus, you might want to do a search on the gas spring situation(s) and trigger trapping issues. :eek:[/quote]

Everyone I know and have talked with in the field has nothing but great things to say about both guns and never had any issues mentioned above. I have two Maxus shotguns that I have put thousands of rounds through and no issues. I also waited and bought my guns after the Maxus had been out for a couple of years. I bought an extra gas piston in case the spring breaks. Hasn't happened. The only place I hear about it is on the internet. I am in search of a person locally who has experienced the above two issues. I will report if I find one. The Maxus has been a great gun for me. I picked the Maxus because it fit and felt the best out of all the B guns. The speed load and mag cut off is nice but wasn't features I cared about. Congrats on the SX3 and your great hunt. I don't feel much recoil either.

Shotgunworld forum has a lot of great things to say about both guns by people who put lots of rounds down range each year.
everythings ducky
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum