SX3 vs Maxus

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: SX3 vs Maxus

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
QuackMaster72 wrote:As you probably know Browning bought out Winchester a few years ago. Now if you need any repairs and stuff for modern Winchester guns, you have to send it to browning to fix. The Browning Maxus is essentially the same gun as the SX3. I was in the same dilemma and I ended up buying the SX3 in Black field. Beautiful gun. Both guns share the same gas system. The one difference that i would like for the SX3 to have that the Maxus has is the quick disassembly with the lever under the forearm. Little thing to help duck killers. If all you want to do is lay out some ducks, Winchester SX3 in Black Shadow or Mossy Oak Camo would do better than the Maxus would.

Browning & Winchester are owned by FN (Fabrique Nationale) of Liege, Belgium who are the guys that made the initial run of John M.'s venerable A5.

I hunt with/know several guys that have shot SX3's for 5+ seasons and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

Regarding the Maxus, you might want to do a search on the gas spring situation(s) and trigger trapping issues. :eek:

those issues have been resolved by Browning. I have a somewhat newer maxus (got it on christmas of 2011) and it has never had a problem and has a few thousand rounds through it.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 pm

everythings ducky wrote:Everyone I know and have talked with in the field has nothing but great things to say about both guns and never had any issues mentioned above. I have two Maxus shotguns that I have put thousands of rounds through and no issues. I also waited and bought my guns after the Maxus had been out for a couple of years. I bought an extra gas piston in case the spring breaks. Hasn't happened. The only place I hear about it is on the internet. I am in search of a person locally who has experienced the above two issues. I will report if I find one. The Maxus has been a great gun for me. I picked the Maxus because it fit and felt the best out of all the B guns. The speed load and mag cut off is nice but wasn't features I cared about. Congrats on the SX3 and your great hunt. I don't feel much recoil either.

Shotgunworld forum has a lot of great things to say about both guns by people who put lots of rounds down range each year.

I personally went though two piston springs (the original spring and one aftermarket spring) in my Maxus, and one in my Silver (the original spring). Actually have some pics on another thread here. Neither gun ever fired anything but factory ammo. Easy fix.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:09 am

I personally went though two piston springs (the original spring and one aftermarket spring) in my Maxus, and one in my Silver (the original spring). Actually have some pics on another thread here. Neither gun ever fired anything but factory ammo. Easy fix.[/quote]

I don't question that it happened to you. I don't believe it is as wide spread as you say. You also bought an early model. I bought two guns several years into production and never had any issues. Everyone I have talked to out hunting, at the trap range and at stores hasn't either. This has led me to believe the number of people who have had these issues is very small and these small numbers are magnified by the internet. To be fair, all of the other B guns are having a similar percentage/number of guns with issues. From my perspective, I hear all this stuff on this forum/internet and it doesn't always prove true in the field. I almost bought a gun touted as the greatest and saw otherwise in the field (friends guns and me helping fix them in the field, thought these were???). I report honestly what I see. My career is based on honesty.

You're right. If you ever break a spring, it's an extremely easy and quick fix.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:58 pm

everythings ducky wrote: .....You also bought an early model.....

This is true. Both my Silver and my Maxus were first year productions.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Seaark18 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 am

They are both great guns, but I vote for the SX3. I don't think that the extra features on the Maxus justify the extra cost. My brother has a Gold that has been excellent for him, but he never uses the speed load and wishes the mag cutoff wasn't there. The lever for the cutoff has snagged on clothes, and has been accidentally flipped while hunting. Both scenarios cost him shots.
Seaark18
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum