Sighting in with target load?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Sighting in with target load?

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:48 pm

I have a 20 gauge 870 that i installed a saddle mount with a cheap reflex/red dot i bought on sale from cabelas. Its a center point reflex sight, battery operated with red/green options and 4 different sight pictures. I plan on using it for turkeys mostly, I'll try skeet shooting with it to see if it works out, but was wondering if i could sight it in with skeet loads? I'll be using my undertaker turkey choke and figured that the pattern would look a little different when i use turkey loads, but the center of the pattern should still be about the same shouldn't it?
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Sighting in with target load?

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:05 pm

If your skeet target rounds are the same velocity as the turkey loads you'll be shooting, the center of the pattern should be approx. the same.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Okay, i wouldnt think they'd be that far off, considering shotguns mostly come with just a fixed bead anyways! All loads should fly straight,
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:58 pm

Once upon a time, before any of the gun manufacturers were offering really good turkey barrels, I bought a smooth bore slug barrel that was equipped with a sturdy set of iron sights, and had it reamed for choke tubes. I figured that once I sighted it in with slugs it should be pretty close with a turkey load. Turns out there was about 8 inches difference at 50 yards. So, do a rough sight in with the cheap stuff but confirm it with the good stuff before you actually take it hunting.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:39 pm

That's a good point! I was going to use it for slugs this year too. I'll just sight it in come summer with slugs to get it accurate
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:34 pm

I tried a saddle mount and reflex sight on a Remington 11-87.

I ended up scrapping the idea.
The saddle mount sucks donkey balls.

It's too high, moves, and over time it marks up the receiver.

The best mount that I've found, is the Burris SpeedBead. The best sight, is the Trijicon RMR RM02. It works with the SpeedBead mount, by using the Trijicon RM37 adapter plate.

Unfortunately, the SpeedBead mount for the 870/1100/11-87 is the worst of all the SpeedBead mounts.
It's not Burris fault, so much as how the stock is designed to fit with the receiver on those guns.

You can make it work, if you have some technical savvy and are mechanically inclined.
But, you also can't be afraid to do some cutting and JB welding on the stock.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 pm

BTW, reflex sights are wonderful things for all shotguns. But, the ones that you will swear by, vs swear at, cost a lot of money.

Cheap reflex sights are confounded abominations, that deserve to burn in Hell along with the people that built them.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:00 am

Would that be the Truglo TB Cabelas had in the bargain cave?I bought one myself.:lol: .Anyway start at 10-12yds with the cheapest loads you have.Once you're hitting where you want move to the distance you want it for hunting and shoot again.With the lighter shot you'll likely be a little low farther out.Work it from there.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Noo It's a center point.
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:45 am

Brand/model doesn't matter.I would add you should use a large 3x3 sheet to see as much of the pattern as possible at 40yds.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 pm

That sounds good, my 20 gauge has a respectable pattern out until around 40, does anyone think if i shot slugs at around 30yrds itd sight in?
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:15 am

You'll have to use a more open choke with slugs but it might work.Downside is greater cost but it will show if that sight can handle the recoil sooner than light loads.I plan to shoot the snot out of mine with hefty 3" loads ASAP for that reason.If it fails it's going back for refund.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:50 am

It is my finding that the rem 20 gauge sluggers have almost no kick compared to turkey, even steel, and buckshot loads.
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum