Slugs through a FIXED MODIFIED BARREL?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Slugs through a FIXED MODIFIED BARREL?

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey all, question I was wondering, has anyone shot fosters slugs or rem sluggers or any rifled slug through a fixed modified barrel? I've tried to do some research but everything nowadays is choke tubes. I have a rem 12gauge 1100 with a fixed modified 28"barrel. I use buckshot in it, but was hoping to use slugs?
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Slugs through a FIXED MODIFIED BARREL?

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 pm

hurtin_honkers wrote:Hey all, question I was wondering, has anyone shot fosters slugs or rem sluggers or any rifled slug through a fixed modified barrel? I've tried to do some research but everything nowadays is choke tubes. I have a rem 12gauge 1100 with a fixed modified 28"barrel. I use buckshot in it, but was hoping to use slugs?

I have used sluggers through an Ithaca Feather Lite. Extremely accurate. You can also buy a rifled choke tube and solve your problems with most slugs. I would not spend the money on high end slugs designed only for rifled barrels. Is buying a rifled barrel for your gun an option?
scruggs12
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:16 pm

I have. It worked.

I wouldn't try it through a full though................
copterdoc
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:13 am

My gun doesn't fit chokes. It is a fixed modified barrel.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby RedPup » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:17 am

Stick to standard, rifled slugs and you are fine. They are soft lead, and will work in a full choke, though not ideal.

I have fired slugs through my 16 gauge Ithaca Model 37 over the years. It has a fixed modified choke. It is very accurate with the German Brenneke slug, as well as the Winchester slug. Try a couple brands and see which works best. Like a previous poster stated, stay away from the one's designed for rifled shotgun barrels or choke tubes.
RedPup
hunter

Postby fishduck » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Try a few brands of My 870 shoots brenneke slugs the best. Fixxed mod. will be fine if you find the slug your gun likes best.

Good Luck,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 am

Sounds good! Whats the range would you say of being able to kill a deer at? The average range, not a Hail Mary shot.
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:19 pm

hurtin_honkers wrote:Sounds good! Whats the range would you say of being able to kill a deer at? The average range, not a Hail Mary shot.

That is all going to depend on how well your gun groups. With mine, I'm confident in its ability to put the slugs where they need to be out to around 125 yards.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Sounds like i may want to buy some type of sight for it then! Any suggestions? Now i know that I'm going to get hated on for saying this, but the cheaper the better. And I would really prefer not to drill anything or change the barrel, would a saddle mount with a red dot or cheap scope do? Or the tru glo turkey red dot that is a saddle mount with a red dot, any one ever had experience? Id be thrilled to be able to shoot a pie plate at 75, not looking for a competition gun. It's my grandfathers old gun i had passed down to me and its something special, i just use it when walking and bush whacking in thick cover where a maximum shot would maybe be 75 yards at most
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:22 pm

I wouldn't want to mar the finish of the receiver of my grandpas shotgun with a saddle mount. By the time you buy the mount and a scope you could spent a little more and buy a slug barrel that has sights on it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:54 pm

hurtin_honkers wrote:Hey all, question I was wondering, has anyone shot fosters slugs or rem sluggers or any rifled slug through a fixed modified barrel? I've tried to do some research but everything nowadays is choke tubes. I have a rem 12gauge 1100 with a fixed modified 28"barrel. I use buckshot in it, but was hoping to use slugs?

That is an excellent gun for shooting the foster style slugs in and that 28" barrel should give you plenty of accuracy for deer out to 50-60 yds. or a bit further, depending on how well it groups with the various name brand slugs....
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum