Advice for a new autolloader

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Advice for a new autolloader

Postby saltwaterhunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:22 am

Hello everyone
This is my first post however I have been lurking and gathering info for several weeks. I just starting hunting ducks 3 years ago, have hunted all of my life but somehow ducks seemed to slip through the cracks, anyhow after my first hunt I was hooked. I purchased a used 870 wingmaster and it has served me well but now I have the itch for an autoloader. My dilemma is that I hunt in saltwater, south Texas on the Laguna Madre which is super saline, meaning it is 3 to 5 times saltier than the Gulf, very harsh environment for shotguns. Would an inertia be better suited over a gas operated, or would it really make no difference. I clean my shotgun after every use, but I was thinking that simpler might be better in this case. There are a lot of choices out there and I have been researching the Franchi Affinity, Beretta 390 (used), Versa Max Sportsman, and Remington 11-87. There are probably many more and I don't mean to open a can of worms or start a Ford Chevy debate, just need some advice on making a choice suitable for my conditions. Also I could just buy another pump, but what fun is that.
Thanks in advance for your time.
saltwaterhunter
hunter

Re: Advice for a new autolloader

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 am

Brand/model is not going to make any difference in a corrosive environment.
Having a camo-dipped gun will, though.
Buy one you like in camo, keep your cleaning regime as it now is, and enjoy.
mudpack
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:44 am

My only piece of advice would be to shoulder the gun you want, and if it points well... go for it!

Good luck
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby saltwaterhunter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have narrowed my choices to either a Beretta A300 Outlander or a Franchi Affinity, I'm currently searching for the best deal on either.
saltwaterhunter
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 pm

I like the affinitys.
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum