Gas Operated Shotgun Question

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Gas Operated Shotgun Question

Postby A5 hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi all new to site. I have been shooting an A5 Mag for years. Had neck surgery a few years ago and the recoil bothers me more than I want to admit. So, I would like to hear any suggestions/experience you have on the different gas operated guns available today. Would like it to be able to shoot 3 inch shells and get your thoughts on the recoil on 3.5 inch models. I am pretty open on price. I'm going to Cabela's in a few weeks and would appreciate any advice. I would like the safety to be behind the trigger. I'm not sure I could break that habit after 40 years of shooting the A5. Thanks.
Take a kid hunting and give thanks to those that took you. Thanks Pop
A5 hunter
hunter

Re: Gas Operated Shotgun Question

Postby GoosinNoVa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 pm

The recoil on my versamax is very little with 3.5" shells, I've also heard great things about the A400.
GoosinNoVa
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 pm

A5 hunter ,

Don't sell the 3" chambered guns short as they will do most everything a 3 1/2" gun will do ! With your condition ,
most of the B guns would be fine for you . One thing I will offer is , the Sporting Models Beretta has , there are many
options to reduce recoil but , weight in a gun is your friend when it comes to recoil ! Having the gun fitted to you , to
start with is the best advise one could give .
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Look at a 3" Browning Silver Hunter. I shoot a 3.5" some but there is a lot more recoil. The Silver is a very soft shooting gas gun and has the semi hump back profile to the receiver. It is also a bit lighter and quicker handling than your A5. I think you would like it and retire the old gun. The Winchester SX3 is basically the same gun by the same Company with more options.
z51
hunter

Postby cONG » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Do you wont the best there is? here you go http://www.berettausa.com/products/bere ... tifade-ko/
cONG
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:23 pm

cONG wrote:Do you wont the best there is? here you go http://www.berettausa.com/products/bere ... tifade-ko/

Well it's certainly the most expensive! :lol3:
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm

The best won't come free...and that MSRP is about $200 more than the street price. :thumbsup:

I have a Beretta Xtrema2 with Kick-Off that is extremely soft shooting; 3.5" ammo feels like shooting 3", 3" feels like shooting 2 3/4". I would expect the A400 with the recoil reduction system to be just as soft shooting.

A standard, gas-operated 3" gun (those who say you don't need 3.5" capability are correct) with a modern recoil pad like a LimbSaver or X-Coil are pretty easy on the shoulder.
mudpack
hunter

Postby A5 hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks to all for your replies. I appreciate the input. I just recently found this site and must say I have enjoyed reading all the posts. Now I have to convince my wife that I am only buying a new shotgun for medical reasons. Also just ordered a JJ Lares hybrid. I may have to quit reading all this before I go broke.
A5 hunter
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:46 am

Softest shooting auto made......Versamax
The Drake
hunter

Postby A5 hunter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:58 am

I have looked at pics online it looks like the A400's safety is in front of the trigger. I have one shotgun out of many with the safety in front and I just do not like it at all. I'm sure the Beretta is a great gun but the safety is a deal breaker for me. If I am wrong about safety please let me know.
A5 hunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum