Gas Operated Shotgun Question

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Gas Operated Shotgun Question

Postby A5 hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi all new to site. I have been shooting an A5 Mag for years. Had neck surgery a few years ago and the recoil bothers me more than I want to admit. So, I would like to hear any suggestions/experience you have on the different gas operated guns available today. Would like it to be able to shoot 3 inch shells and get your thoughts on the recoil on 3.5 inch models. I am pretty open on price. I'm going to Cabela's in a few weeks and would appreciate any advice. I would like the safety to be behind the trigger. I'm not sure I could break that habit after 40 years of shooting the A5. Thanks.
Take a kid hunting and give thanks to those that took you. Thanks Pop
A5 hunter
hunter

Re: Gas Operated Shotgun Question

Postby GoosinNoVa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:56 pm

The recoil on my versamax is very little with 3.5" shells, I've also heard great things about the A400.
GoosinNoVa
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 pm

A5 hunter ,

Don't sell the 3" chambered guns short as they will do most everything a 3 1/2" gun will do ! With your condition ,
most of the B guns would be fine for you . One thing I will offer is , the Sporting Models Beretta has , there are many
options to reduce recoil but , weight in a gun is your friend when it comes to recoil ! Having the gun fitted to you , to
start with is the best advise one could give .
3200 man
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Look at a 3" Browning Silver Hunter. I shoot a 3.5" some but there is a lot more recoil. The Silver is a very soft shooting gas gun and has the semi hump back profile to the receiver. It is also a bit lighter and quicker handling than your A5. I think you would like it and retire the old gun. The Winchester SX3 is basically the same gun by the same Company with more options.
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter

Postby cONG » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Do you wont the best there is? here you go http://www.berettausa.com/products/bere ... tifade-ko/
cONG
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:23 pm

cONG wrote:Do you wont the best there is? here you go http://www.berettausa.com/products/bere ... tifade-ko/

Well it's certainly the most expensive! :lol3:
Well, are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm

The best won't come free...and that MSRP is about $200 more than the street price. :thumbsup:

I have a Beretta Xtrema2 with Kick-Off that is extremely soft shooting; 3.5" ammo feels like shooting 3", 3" feels like shooting 2 3/4". I would expect the A400 with the recoil reduction system to be just as soft shooting.

A standard, gas-operated 3" gun (those who say you don't need 3.5" capability are correct) with a modern recoil pad like a LimbSaver or X-Coil are pretty easy on the shoulder.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby A5 hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks to all for your replies. I appreciate the input. I just recently found this site and must say I have enjoyed reading all the posts. Now I have to convince my wife that I am only buying a new shotgun for medical reasons. Also just ordered a JJ Lares hybrid. I may have to quit reading all this before I go broke.
A5 hunter
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:46 am

Softest shooting auto made......Versamax
The Drake
hunter

Postby A5 hunter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:58 am

I have looked at pics online it looks like the A400's safety is in front of the trigger. I have one shotgun out of many with the safety in front and I just do not like it at all. I'm sure the Beretta is a great gun but the safety is a deal breaker for me. If I am wrong about safety please let me know.
A5 hunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum