New 3 1/2 inch Auto Poll

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Which new 3 1/2 Auto would you get?

Beretta A400 extreme
30%
Benelli SBE II
28%
Browning A5 mag
19%
Benelli Super Vinci
8%
Browning Silver
15%

Total votes : 108

Re: New 3 1/2 inch Auto Poll

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:51 am

clymerfowler wrote:Okay guys i think im going for the SBE2. one question. Will it cycle low brass loads?

1. Versamax
2. SX3
3. Silver
4. H&K SBE (find one the guy fired a box of 3 1/2" through, guarantee it will have been in the safe ever since) :wink:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby tbarto » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 am

I bought a used camo MODB Silver last year for $700. I reeally like it so far. It cycles everthing even if I mix 3" and 3.5". I cycles the target loads very well also. It took me a while to find the right brand of shells to get the pattern I was happy with. I bought some aftermarket Trulock Percison Hunter extended chokes that gave me good patterns. I borrowed some Kicks chokes from a friend to try, which also produced some good patterns. The shells I settled in on are Remingtom Sportsman and Nitro Steel. The slower speed shells (1400 & 1450 fps) gave me a much better pattern than the faster stuff from Kent and Heavy Metal.
tbarto
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Voted for the A5 which may be my next 3.5 gun. Already own a Super Vinci(which I love btw) and I own a beretta 391 which I also love. But I have shouldered the A5 and it pulls up great for me and it much lighter than it looks. Heard good things about the A400 but like most berettas it was heavy and seemed a little bulky. Plus I have a beretta and so I went with Benelli. Not disappointed in any way.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby surfrat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Good Choice...It will cycle low brass 1 oz loads all day without a hickup.
surfrat
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 pm

You crack me up. :lol3: I understand many "B" guns are very established performers. But to automatically discount anything but is naive and foolish. Especially with a poll where you're asking for everyone's opinion. Simply offer a wider selection of choices. My vote would go to the Versamax. Carry on...with your blinders on of course. :biggrin:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:29 pm

BurninPowder wrote:You crack me up. :lol3: I understand many "B" guns are very established performers. But to automatically discount anything but is naive and foolish. Especially with a poll where you're asking for everyone's opinion. Simply offer a wider selection of choices. My vote would go to the Versamax. Carry on...with your blinders on of course. :biggrin:

get your panties out of a bunch. i made a poll with the guns i was looking at. mossys are junk to me, remingtons feel weird browning siver points better than the sx3 to me. if i was looking for a versacrap i would of put it on there.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 pm

First off.. No panties around here. With the exception of, on the floor and usually in the thrown fashion. Now that we're clear on that. Most people don't do an internet poll to do determine which shotgun they're gonna buy. Do your own research and come to a decision based on that. Rather than what a group of strangers decide to vote for on an internet poll. There are many fine choices out there (as I've stated before, not all B guns) and what's great for one may not be for another. I appreciate the attack on my personal choice but I wish you well with whichever shotgun you determine is the right one for you. And don't take everything so personal. That's why there was a grin at the end.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Ha versa crap. Gave me a chuckle but could be ok.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:47 pm

In light of the Versacrap comments...
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:I love my versamaxx. Never had a jam. Fits just like my 870 did and that is why I like it most. Feels like you are shooting your 870 in an semi auto with 20ga kick. I would look into the sportsman model(800 bucks). Only difference is the shim adjustment. The more expensive ones come with choke tubes and a hard case that you can't put your gun in unless you break it down.

Yuchi1 wrote:Keep listening and don't make a decision you might regret. The Versamax scares the crap of the Benellites, Berettables & McBrownings as it is a fine shooting piece, and they know it.

Had this been 1992 and you heard all the bad reports about ejector plate pins and barrel bands breaking on SBE's, what would your decision have been.

Had this been 1994 or 1998 and you heard about the receiver stress fracture issues and bolt issues on Browning Golds or SX2's, what would your decision have been?

Had this been 2003 and you heard about the barrel issues with the Beretta Xtrema, what would your decision have been?

Any mechanical item can/will have service issues...do not let the internet FI experts do your thinking for you...unless, you are one prone to allow others to do their thinking for them. :wink:

gahunter706 wrote:I have had my versa max for almost 2 years and it has been a great gun so far. It is low on recoil, cycles whatever I put through it, and has never jammed or went click. It is also very rust resistant. I have left it soaking wet in a case for several days at a time and it has never had a speck of rust. Yes, the magazine cap and chokes will work loose if you don't properly tighten them, but I would expect that from any gun. Only time will tell how good of a gun it really is, but so far I have been happy with it.

TuJays wrote:bought my Versa Max three years ago almost to this day.
best decision i have ever made for waterfowl hunting.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=244957

Mike657 wrote:I love my versa max it is the only remington gun i have bought in a while. Have they had an absence in qaulity? I have a 3 1978 wingmasters and they have to be some of the best built pump guns iv'e used or seen. The versa max is a good gun though I would reccomend it.

clampdaddy wrote:The guy I hunt with got a versamax and he's loving it. He's halfway through his second case of 3" Kent's and hasn't had any issues. I almost bought one before I got my sbe2. Only reason I didn't was the chubby feeling forearm. The rest of the gun, I like.

Cajun1085 wrote:I love my versamax. They updated the cap on the front mine doesn't come loose at all. Reliable gun. Sent my gun back to Remington before my 2 year warranty was up. Sent it on a Monday had it back on Thursday. They updated anything that needed to be and changed any worn part.

hamernhonkers wrote:
TuJays wrote:bought my Versa Max three years ago almost to this day.
best decision i have ever made for waterfowl hunting.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=244957

This is why I bought one and with its first season nearing an end I have not regretted it. In fact I choose it over the sx3 and I own the 20 bore version of the sx3. I think Remington has got back on track with the Versamax :thumbsup:

And thats just one thread...
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Own both the sbe2 and the A400 Etreme both good guns, but I reach for the 400 when it's time to go. Mine has been bullet proof. Easy to clean and if recoil's a consideration for you the 400 is the way to go. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby old school too » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03 pm

If I think the situation requires one of my 3 1/2's then I pick up one of my 10 gauges. Sometimes I might slide in big shell as my last shell for a back-up if I'm hunting decoying geese or sea ducks if I do break down and take a 3 1/2 gun. Most of the time it's a straight up 3 inch or a 10.
old school too
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 pm

If you can get past the looks, the super vinci really is a great gun. I love the modeular system because you can clean the insides so easily. I do wish benelli had a better grip besides the plastic with big grooves.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Seaark18 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:25 pm

I really like the Sx3 and VersaMax, but since they were not on your list I voted for the Silver. It's hard to justify the cost of the Sbe2 or A400 when you can get a Silver for $600-$700 less. They're a great gun, same guts as the Sx3. I own a Sbe2 and love it, but I bought it years ago when they cost less. You can't justify today's Benelli prices when there are guns as good as the Sx3 and Silver for so much less. They cost less, but the quality is every bit as good.
Seaark18
hunter

Postby Action » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:23 pm

I shoot a SBE1 and just purchased two new guns for my two boys this year. I purchased a Beretta Xtreme A-400 which shoots well however it is a little slower getting on target. One on target the standard choke tubes work just fine in my opinion. The other gun I bought for my 12 year old son was the Super Vinci. He liked shooting the A-400 but has shot enough to know that swinging it was a little difficult. But like I said once on target it gets the job done. Just before Christmas he shot a triple on geese with it. So Christmas comes around and I talked with a couple of friends and they said to check out the Super Vinci. I checked it out and it was weighted more like a sporting clays gun than a waterfowl. I bought this instead of another Beretta or SBE. The first duck my son shot with his first shot and the next day we went and shot geese. The first goose in was a loaner so Garrett got the shot. Again folded it with one shot and he tells me how much he likes the swing. If your shooting a lot of 3-1/2 the recoil reduction in the Xtreme A-400 is the way to go. But from your post this is not the norm so I would go with the fast swinging Super Vinci.
Action
hunter

Postby brianc142 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 am

Recoil doesn't bother me much but I know the difference between a soft shooting shotgun and one that kicks the snot out of you. If you thought the Maxus had too much recoil then I don't think you're going to be very happy with an SBE 2. Just my two cents having owned both. I'm not Benelli bashing but I can promise you it recoils more than a Maxus.
brianc142
hunter

Postby PC76 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:26 pm

Well after owning the A5 3.5" for roughly 3 weeks and taking it on somewhere between 12-18 outings I am eased with it but at the same time worried a little also. The auto load feature which isn't a necessity but if your gonna advertise it it better darn well work. Seems to not wanna load when it's real cold first thing in the morning. After shooting It goes without hesitation. Slightly negative to me.

Broke it in with no 2 3.5" recoil felt substantially Lower than my buddies sbe2. That coulda also been due to the fact that we were having great hunts where I didn't have much time to think about recoil. I would have to go with this as a plus but in gonna have to see it without a jacket and layers on to make a final judgement.

Hiccuped on a 3rd shell once it was like the carrier never lifted it up. Huge negative. Hasn't done it again, so maybe it was a fluke.

Gun shoulders extremely well and the stock recoil pad doesn't get caught up when shouldering. The humpback feature can be fully utilized when pointing as I guess a sight plane you could say. Help acquire your target nicely.

Don't have any aftermarket chokes but I redneck patterned it in the woods and with the mod stock choke and remington sportsman no3 was very consistent probably 70% in be kill zone and was strangely shaped almost like an eye.
PC76
hunter

Postby VolFan9183 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Voted for the Silver purely out of personal experience, I've never fired the other options and have done little research on them. I've owned my Silver for 4 years now and it has been flawless...I like the reliability, fit, and sight picture with the raised rib and semi-hump receiver. At current prices I would buy the Silver again in a heartbeat over the other options.
VolFan9183
Newb

Postby cannon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm

brianc142 wrote:Recoil doesn't bother me much but I know the difference between a soft shooting shotgun and one that kicks the snot out of you. If you thought the Maxus had too much recoil then I don't think you're going to be very happy with an SBE 2. Just my two cents having owned both. I'm not Benelli bashing but I can promise you it recoils more than a Maxus.

^Ditto. I've shot the Maxus, and I'd agree that it's a "headache" gun. The Benelli is twice as bad. I don't have experience with the A400, so I'd have to go with the silver. I have 2 SBE II's and 3 silvers. I hunt ducks with a silver. Recoil is much more manageable with the browning, but then I don't run 3.5'" shells.

I've had the Versa Max too, and I'll agree that they're simply phenomenal. I'm not brand loyal . . . I just love guns that work.

I had an SX3, and, like the Maxus, it was a headache gun. Loved my SX2's, though. I like the handling on the silvers, and their weight is similar enough to the SX2's that I didn't notice an increase in recoil.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum