scared to buy a versa max

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

scared to buy a versa max

Postby BlackDog1100 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:44 pm

I shoot a remington 870 express now, and even though everyone seems to love it, mine has had some jamming issues, so I am ready to move on.

So the versa max seems to meet all my needs. I like the weight, the gas system and the finish. The only thing holding me back from buying it are reports of shoddy craftsmanship at remington, and some of the early issues it had with the mag cap and chokes coming lose.

Has anyone been shooting it for a while have good or bad reports to share?

My 2nd option right now is the benelli vinci. I know its hideous, but it points well and everyone I touch seems well made...just not sure I want to joint the inertia crowd.
BlackDog1100
hunter

Re: scared to buy a versa max

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 pm

SBE, SBEII, SX2, SX3, Gold or Silver.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Cranberry1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:51 pm

I purchased an A400 xtreme after looking at alot of the guns mentioned. I know a guy with the versa max and i shot it, and i can say i prefer the A400 xtreme
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby dduckman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:08 pm

I am sure plenty of guys are happy with there versa max, but after seeing the lack of quality in there guns over the last ten years
(I managed a gun shop) I would not buy anything Remington personally!

I handled a versa max in the field on a recent hunt and thought the quality was not nearly up to par with Browning/win, Benelli/Beretta.
dduckman
hunter

Postby BlackDog1100 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Thats all I need to hear. Too bad Remington seems to have fallen off. I love my 1100, but refuse to take it into the duck blind. Guess I really need to decide if I like the vinci, or if I need to keep looking
BlackDog1100
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Keep listening and don't make a decision you might regret. The Versamax scares the crap of the Benellites, Berettables & McBrownings as it is a fine shooting piece, and they know it.

Had this been 1992 and you heard all the bad reports about ejector plate pins and barrel bands breaking on SBE's, what would your decision have been.

Had this been 1994 or 1998 and you heard about the receiver stress fracture issues and bolt issues on Browning Golds or SX2's, what would your decision have been?

Had this been 2003 and you heard about the barrel issues with the Beretta Xtrema, what would your decision have been?

Any mechanical item can/will have service issues...do not let the internet FI experts do your thinking for you...unless, you are one prone to allow others to do their thinking for them. :wink:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:56 pm

I shoot a benelli sbe2 and love it. also like the beretta a400s. They both shoot like quality guns. Only reason I opted for the benelli is because it lined up for better for me, and the smaller forestock fits my hands better
Rhock19
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:23 pm

I have had my versa max for almost 2 years and it has been a great gun so far. It is low on recoil, cycles whatever I put through it, and has never jammed or went click. It is also very rust resistant. I have left it soaking wet in a case for several days at a time and it has never had a speck of rust. Yes, the magazine cap and chokes will work loose if you don't properly tighten them, but I would expect that from any gun. Only time will tell how good of a gun it really is, but so far I have been happy with it.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby lovethosesooners » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 am

I have a Maxus, A400, 1100, SX3 and a VersaMax....
Getting ready to add 1 more-it will be a versa max (and the choice was EASY-don't NEED another shotgun....obviously but I like it THAT much)
The magazine cap coming loose was redesigned over a year ago btw
If I personally was getting another than a versa max, it would without question be a 2nd Maxus
lovethosesooners
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:17 am

BlackDog1100 wrote:... [b]everyone[/b] I touch seems well made...just not sure I want to joint the inertia crowd.

Note to self: do not accept an invitation to hunt with BlackDog1100.
:eek:

If you're scared to buy a Versa Max, don't buy a Versa Max. There are plenty of other guns out there that are just as good.
(BTW, I wouldn't let "loose choke tubes and magazine caps" deter me from buying a gun that I otherwise liked. Fingers are what God gave us to keep things tight, and you already have a full factory set of ten.)
mudpack
hunter

Postby Fish Feeder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:00 am

I have a beretta pintail, benelli sbe , and a remington versmax. The versa max is in the truck/boat when its time to hunt. The versa max just doesnt beat me like the others. So I shoot it better. I have no issues with the quality. Have carried it thriugh 3 dove seasons early mid and late. Been using it all duck season. Not one issue
Fish Feeder
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:37 am

Cranberry1 wrote:I purchased an A400 xtreme after looking at alot of the guns mentioned. I know a guy with the versa max and i shot it, and i can say i prefer the A400 xtreme

x2

I would add the A400 to Copterdoc's list because it is a great gun and because you said that you liked gas system shotguns.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:04 am

If I were buying a NEW shotgun.... it would be a maxus first and a vinci second.

I don't really like the vinci but the vinci seems to like me. I shoot it really well and it points really well. I hate where the safety is and its ugly as a mud fence. But it does what it is supposed to do.

I currently shoot an 1100. I love it. I have always been a Rem guy. Maybe in five years my opinion of the VM will change. I like the way they swing, but the three guys I know that have them are not wild about them at all. A fourth guy already got rid of his. I'm a bit shy of them also. Hopefully they will get the kinks ironed out.
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby BlackDog1100 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 am

Yuchi1 wrote:Any mechanical item can/will have service issues...

Completely agree with this statement, I just have not been impressed with the craftsmanship of my 870. Given any mechanical item can/will have service issues, I am not sure I want to risk buying a pricey gun from Remington. I think there is a good chance I would be almost equally happy with the Maxus, Vinci, Extrema II, A400, Versa Max... I think the fit and the weight of the versa max along with the fact that it is a gas gun make me prefer it over the rest...but I also feel like buying from Remington means I am accepting increased odds of winding up with a lemon.
BlackDog1100
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 am

My Versamax has been great. Have had it about 2 years and no issues whatsoever. I usually take pride in keeping my guns clean and well taken care of but I've treated this VM like a dog... Still keeps goin
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby BillyBones » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 am

I have had my Vinci for 3 seasons now and would happily get another. Reason I went with it in the first place was how well it fit me and pointed. I love the gun.

Never handled a versamax so no comment.

Sent from from the NEPA woods
BillyBones
hunter

Postby TuJays » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:32 pm

bought my Versa Max three years ago almost to this day.
best decision i have ever made for waterfowl hunting.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=244957
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:24 pm

I love my versa max it is the only remington gun i have bought in a while. Have they had an absence in qaulity? I have a 3 1978 wingmasters and they have to be some of the best built pump guns iv'e used or seen. The versa max is a good gun though I would reccomend it.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Good to see you here TuJays! Somewhat of a different medium over here at DHC as opposed to SGW but it's always a welcome sight to see someone as qualified as yourself sharing their experience and knowledge.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:11 pm

The guy I hunt with got a versamax and he's loving it. He's halfway through his second case of 3" Kent's and hasn't had any issues. I almost bought one before I got my sbe2. Only reason I didn't was the chubby feeling forearm. The rest of the gun, I like.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 pm

I wouldnt do it dude. I looked at a few at a few different gun shops. Crooked engraving, sloppy cuts, feels like a 2x4 in your hands... I picked up an sx3 and never looked back. I had some 11-87's and cant compare remington to any other gun maker. unfortunately, their quality has really slipped in the past 10 years
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 pm

I love my versamax. They updated the cap on the front mine doesn't come loose at all. Reliable gun. Sent my gun back to Remington before my 2 year warranty was up. Sent it on a Monday had it back on Thursday. They updated anything that needed to be and changed any worn part.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:24 pm

TuJays wrote:bought my Versa Max three years ago almost to this day.

This is why I bought one and with its first season nearing an end I have not regretted it. In fact I choose it over the sx3 and I own the 20 bore version of the sx3. I think Remington has got back on track with the Versamax :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby BlackDog1100 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 pm

TuJays wrote:bought my Versa Max three years ago almost to this day.

Thanks for the link, quite a bit of information (not to mention leg work) you guys have provided there. :clapping:

I thought buying a gun was supposed to be fun. I guess after all the research eventually you just need to "pull the trigger" and go with one.
BlackDog1100
hunter

Postby TuJays » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:43 pm

BurninPowder wrote:Good to see you here TuJays! Somewhat of a different medium over here at DHC as opposed to SGW but it's always a welcome sight to see someone as qualified as yourself sharing their experience and knowledge.

Was here for a long time PB, just found no reason to post for quite some time!
Lots of young men on this site that ain't interested in a old mans input so I try to oblige them:)
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum