Beretta A400 xtreme-best there is

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta A400 xtreme-best there is

Postby Jhalligan87 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Fellas,

I've shot em all. Golds, silvers, a5 new and old, bps, Parker's, citoris, novas, maxus, and SBE2's and there is no gun even close to the A400. Except for the extrema2 perhaps. This thing has been completely submerged in swamp mud multiple times, in 10 degree weather and never missed a beat. No rust whatsoever. Never had a jam or hang up, and with the factory mod and kent 2 & 3's it hammers em. Gotta drop the 65 shim in and get used to looking just a hair under the bird before squeezing and once you get that down you are out of the woods quick if the birds are working. I also have a 30" barrel that gives a really nice swing to the gun.

I have no affiliation with beretta but when I find something that works I like to share it with others.

Save your money on after market chokes, the mod patterned better than all the ones I bought.

Patrick
Jhalligan87
hunter

Re: Beretta A400 xtreme-best there is

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Excellent nonbiased post chock full of excellent factual based info. Would definitely read again :thumbsup:
BTW you left out the part where the Beretta's feel like you're shouldering and swinging a 4x4 post. Personally I like the SBEII, new A5, and the older Auto-5's better than any Beretta I've ever held,shot,or seen
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Check out the threads over on Shotgunworld forum and Duck Refuge talking about the A400 Xtreme having problems ejecting 3.5 shells. Beretta recently had to redesign the carrier. Some on there talked about having trouble getting Beretta to update and fix the carrier problem and other issues. There's even more problems with other models of the A400. This doesn't mean you will have a problem. Buyer be aware.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby Jhalligan87 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm

To each their own, no need to be a ****. My gun fits me great and is nice and light. The sbe2 is a piece of junk. Bulged barrel, had to put all kinds of aftermarket springs in it to make it work. Just terrible. Mine shoots 3.5's no problem when I do, which isn't too often. What more facts do you want?
Jhalligan87
hunter

Postby fadetoblack188 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm

So far in the pill thread.. The sbe2 is winning
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Isn't it funny how you get a post saying its the best there is and yet the one I bought my wife has had FTF and FTE issues along with a stock breaking. Lets face it boys there is no best gun maker out there, there are great guns that when taken care of last a life time and then there are guns that are just lemons, and every gun manufacture has both!
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby max1982 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:38 pm

As far as the way the gun feels, swings, and recoil it is the best shotgun I have ever owned and I have a few. Mine cycles 2 3/4" and 3" very well. But not so much with the 3 1/2" shells sent it to Beretta last year and just sent it off again today. Its a sad thing because I really like the gun but really don't like having issues when hunting. If Beretta can get it figured out so it works right all the time I will keep it if not I will buy another Beretta Extrema 2 just bought one yesterday to finish out this season so I'm not depending on my Benelli SBE thats 20 years old. Max
max1982
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 pm

The SBEII I owned cycled every single shell I ever fed it from trash dove loads to 3-1/2"'s. So has the new A5. I'd still be shooting it had I not been offered several hundred dollars and a Mag Stalker for it. Beretta makes a good gun. Heck that's what my wife shoots. But to say its the best shotgun ever is kinda dickish. 100yrs of Auto-5's say to come see them if you want to see longevity, reliability, and how to be a time tested and proven workhorse[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:19 pm

x2 on what Hamrn said. Any of the gun makers are apt to send out a lemon from time to time. But for the most part the bigger gun makers send out solid shotguns with none being head and shoulders above any of the others

Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Jhalligan87 wrote:Fellas,

I've shot em all. Golds, silvers, a5 new and old, bps, Parker's, citoris, novas, maxus, and SBE2's and there is no gun even close to the A400. Except for the extrema2 perhaps. This thing has been completely submerged in swamp mud multiple times, in 10 degree weather and never missed a beat. No rust whatsoever. Never had a jam or hang up, and with the factory mod and kent 2 & 3's it hammers em. Gotta drop the 65 shim in and get used to looking just a hair under the bird before squeezing and once you get that down you are out of the woods quick if the birds are working. I also have a 30" barrel that gives a really nice swing to the gun.

I have no affiliation with beretta but when I find something that works I like to share it with others.

Save your money on after market chokes, the mod patterned better than all the ones I bought.

Patrick

:huh:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby fadetoblack188 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:43 am

it looks like the a400 gets more negative comments then the sbe 2 throughout the internet.

Seems like the a400 gets neg comments about cycling 3.5 loads and jaming up in the coldddd and rain.

sbe 2 it looks like just has neg comments about cycling light loads here and there.
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 am

hamernhonkers wrote:Isn't it funny how you get a post saying its the best there is and yet the one I bought my wife has had FTF and FTE issues along with a stock breaking. Lets face it boys there is no best gun maker out there, there are great guns that when taken care of last a life time and then there are guns that are just lemons, and every gun manufacture has both!

I have to agree with you 100%.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:16 am

I like Berettas. Have a couple of them. Never given me any problems.

But, then, I don't shoot trap loads through my duck guns, or duck loads through my target guns, either. :rolleyes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jhalligan87 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 am

I've never had any issues with 3.5" loads cycling and yes, there probably are some lemons. With my Maxus and SBE2's, I had frequent FTE's. Far more with the Benelli, however. And I can't tell you how many times the famous Benelli "click" had caused me to miss a bird. Many times I wanted to throw that gun straight into the marsh. All I am saying is that I am extremely pleased with the Beretta, as I have been buying guns for a while trying to find the "right" one. I love old A5's, but for the loads I prefer to shoot, not having an interchangable choke is a limitation and the recoil and muzzle jump is huge. With the Beretta there is very little muzzle jump and recoil reduction is amazing. Also, my A5 will rust up during one hunt. The rust preventative materials on the A400 really work and the gun patterns very well.
Jhalligan87
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:45 am

Still waiting for your sig to say Beretta Pro-Staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby Jhalligan87 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

Haha I know, and wish. But I bought mine off a guy on here. You can also check my other posts where I've decided on the maxus after having problems with the SBE2.
Jhalligan87
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 pm

I was fortunate enough to win a A400 Extreme (Optifade) back in August. My last experience with a Beretta Shotgun was a Pintail and I had good luck with it. For the past 17 years I've carried a SBE I that I back-bored when I bought it new. I've literally drug this thing from Alberta to Savannah several times and have shot over 60K rounds (documented) and the only thing I've done to it is change the firing pin, extractor & recoil spring (@40K). I prefer the recoil-operated system (I carried a M2 on-duty for 25 years) due to its simplicity, maintenance, and reliability.

Fast forward to the A400. I was hesitant try the thing because I thought I'd like it whenever I shouldered it the first time. After deciding to keep it and shooting 500 flawless rounds through it for cycle testing with WM Federal Dove loads to 3.5 hand loads, I was kinda convinced enough it would function to begin finding the right load/choke recipe for teal season and take to Alberta. After another 630 rds., I was ready for hunting season and made the A400 my primary gun. After a generation with the SBE, it was quite a leap.

After teal season and 2 weeks in Alberta, I was now at 1633 shots fired without a hiccup. As the season continued, I hunted all but 8 days from the Montana opener 9/28 until today. I encountered Ohio snow, sleet, and ice. Illinois & Missouri rain & mud. Arkansas & Louisiana rain and ALOT more mud. And to finish, earlier this week it was -5 to 7* hunting on the Tennessee River. I have 2718 rds. through it, (415-2.75, 1460-3.0, 843-3.5) and I encountered 1 ammunition malfunction.

My wader jacket was knocked to the floor of the boat as we put out the decoys and hid the boat. I loaded the A400 from the shells in the pocket (which were now damp). The chambered shell froze to the bore and after firing failed to extract. IMHO, this was not the fault of the A400 as I had to take a cleaning rod and hammer the shell from the bore.

All in all, the A400 did everything I demanded of it flawlessly and proved to be as reliable as any Benelli or 870 I've ever triggered. The only adjustment I'll make is back bore it when the season is over. While it's my opinion it is a grand hunting shotgun and I'll gladly grab it tomorrow morning, I think it's a stretch and a bit too soon to say it's the best there is.

Hope this helps and Good Luck to you all,

Todd
Last edited by nitram on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:55 am

Jhalligan87 wrote:I've never had any issues with 3.5" loads cycling and yes, there probably are some lemons. With my Maxus and SBE2's, I had frequent FTE's. Far more with the Benelli, however. And I can't tell you how many times the famous Benelli "click" had caused me to miss a bird. Many times I wanted to throw that gun straight into the marsh. All I am saying is that I am extremely pleased with the Beretta, as I have been buying guns for a while trying to find the "right" one. I love old A5's, but for the loads I prefer to shoot, not having an interchangable choke is a limitation and the recoil and muzzle jump is huge. With the Beretta there is very little muzzle jump and recoil reduction is amazing. Also, my A5 will rust up during one hunt. The rust preventative materials on the A400 really work and the gun patterns very well.

You obviously don't know much about old A5's. Nice try bashing them. My 1950's vintage A5 mag has most of the bluing gone and it still doesn't rust. Ever heard of Breakfree CLP? :no: My invector barrel has something called invector chokes. Oh and the A5 12mag has less felt recoil than the A400. Obviously you don't know much about friction rings and how to set them up properly. They were designed to shoot heavy 3" lead loads on par with the Remington Hypersonics. Hypersonics will tear up an A400. That Japanese made barrel has by far better steel than the A400. I don't even feel hypersonics in the A5. My gun has more than 100,000 rounds through it and going strong. My father shot competition trap and skeet with it in the day. I shot it when I was a teenager. Let's see if your A400 can hold a candle to it. You can buy a hastings wadlock barrel with chokes for A5's that have fixed choke barrels and have by far better patterns than any A400 can even begin to have. Now if you had the itch to have a new lighter modern gun, I could relate to that. It's an addiction. When you say you had frequent FTE's with the Maxus and SBEII, you lost credibility with me. Both those guns have pluses and minuses but they don't have frequent FTE's and how did you manage to have lemons with all other brands except the A400? Maybe it's you. Some people don't know how to take care of guns. :rolleyes:
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby Jhalligan87 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:44 am

Wow, caught someone on a bad day. I do use CLP and own and use two A5's, they are great guns. Don't insult me with the rings guy, A5's kick and don't try and tell me otherwise. I don't want to have to monkey around with them and order all kinds of chokes and barrels to get them where I need them for what I'm hunting. I stand by what I've said and I love this gun.
Jhalligan87
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with Ducky on the recoil thing. If the rings are set right the Auto 5 is one of the softest recoiling shotguns out there. My Mag Stalker kicks much less than my wife's Beretta. So much so that she had rather shoot the Browning

Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Southpa » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:52 pm

I just returned from Saskatoon, SK last week from a duck and goose hunting trip. I am left handed and love to shoot semi-autos and the only one in town that makes a left handed 3.5 in is the Benelli SBE2 and SBE1. I took a 10 month old SBE2 and a 15 year old SBE1 with me on the trip. I hate to say that on the first day the SBE2 broke down to shooting one shot and on the third day the SBE1 shot craps. The last day I borrowed the outfitters A400 Extreme which he told me it had not been cleaned in three duck seasons up there and had 2000 rounds thru it. I used it on my last day and ran 3 or 4 boxes of shells thru it and it performed perfect. The day I got home I went to my local gun dealer and bought an A400. At the lodge another hunter up there from Alabama said he had an A400 and had 6000 sporting clays rounds thru it with no malfunctions and it had NEVER been cleaned. The A400 kicks the shells out far enough in front that it has no effect on a lefty. I shot it with no glasses up north. I have spent most of the weekend changing the cast and stock drop for a lefty and it now fits great. I prefer the maximum drop so I put in the 65 SX shims and it comes up like a dream. The jury is still out on how it will perform. I will use it in some nasty cold and wet conditions in IL. I know one thing they have to do better than the Benelli.
Southpa
Newb

Postby Beretta06 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 am

So far 1 season on my A-400, only one hick up I let the action get a little dry and it jammed, the 1/4 turn magazine cap made it speedy to clear and get back to business. 7 of the 12 members of our clubs shoot A-400s now, the only gun that's been somewhat of a problem is my brothers.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:03 am

Southpa wrote: The last day I borrowed the outfitters A400 Extreme which he told me it had not been cleaned in three duck seasons up there and had 2000 rounds thru it. I used it on my last day and ran 3 or 4 boxes of shells thru it and it performed perfect. The day I got home I went to my local gun dealer and bought an A400. At the lodge another hunter up there from Alabama said he had an A400 and had 6000 sporting clays rounds thru it with no malfunctions and it had NEVER been cleaned.

Anyone stating these facts to me would loose my respect immediately. Are they bragging or just showing their stupidity, you don't treat valued equipment in that manner.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:45 pm

DoubleDutchChuck wrote:
Southpa wrote: The last day I borrowed the outfitters A400 Extreme which he told me it had not been cleaned in three duck seasons up there and had 2000 rounds thru it. I used it on my last day and ran 3 or 4 boxes of shells thru it and it performed perfect. The day I got home I went to my local gun dealer and bought an A400. At the lodge another hunter up there from Alabama said he had an A400 and had 6000 sporting clays rounds thru it with no malfunctions and it had NEVER been cleaned.

Anyone stating these facts to me would loose my respect immediately. Are they bragging or just showing their stupidity, you don't treat valued equipment in that manner.

I just can't go without cleaning my shotgun for more than a weekend hunt. $1600 bucks for a shotgun. It's getting cleaned before I leave the club. I would OCD out knowing it was in the safe dirty.
Beretta06
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:31 pm

DoubleDutchChuck wrote:

Southpa's testimonial flies in the face of what others are saying on other forums and my friends regarding the frequency of cleaning needed to keep the A400 running without malfunctioning. The A400 has had problems with cycling 3.5 shells. Some say Beretta has corrected it finally. We'll see. On the shotgunworld forum, they were talking about the A400 suffering from poor quality outsourced parts. Not sure the validity of outsourced parts but there is documented problems that required Beretta to make design changes and update the gun. I have to admit that I thought about buying one recently because the price dropping several hundred dollars on sale. I decided against it because I don't want to be a test mule. Let it go a while to see if Beretta really solved the problems. Versamax looks like a better gun anyway if i want a heavier gun for shooting 3.5 shells-less recoil, more reliable, durable and more modern design gun than the A400. I already have the the Maxus that is the best all around gun, most versatile gun (good for upland and duck, light soft shooter). Wait the gun that is best for you may not be best for me and vice versa. Glad we have choices and glad the A400 is best for you and the poster. Your story sounds a little far fetched. Maybe you could provide proof and documentation. Maybe do a torture test.
everythings ducky
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum