Double Gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Double Gun

Postby reconcoupe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 pm

Just want some general opinions on a new double barrel. I'm considering both an O/U and a SxS. I like to get that back to the roots feeling, having something that looks very simple but is indeed a great work of craftsman ship/design. My wife currently shoots a CZ Canvas Back, I love the gun and steal it from her when she doesn't go. But I don't want to get the same gun.

I've narrowed it down to the Franchi Instinct L O/U and the CZ Ringkneck SxS. I've held both guns, and they both feel great and swing well. I think Franchi is a beautiful gun with a more established history and own an Affinity. But the Ringneck...well its just a tad bit cheaper and is that classic SxS, which reminds me of the Ithaca SxS that was my granddads and I hunted with as a kid (Its mine now currently stored away in a gun safe with about 6 other of his guns including a jap 7.7 with the Mum still intact). Both guns have what I'm looking for spec wise, and both fall inside a comfortable purchase price, and I don't doubt either's quality.

Let me hear what you think. Open to other suggestions for NEW guns that I may not have though off O/U or Sxs, 3 inch 12 gauge, around the 1k price point. no stoegers or tristars ect.

Edit- The gun will pull multiple duties like every other gun I own, to include pheasant, ducks, trap/skeet and the occasional annoying crow.
reconcoupe
hunter

Re: Double Gun

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:31 pm

I was in your same spot not too long ago, Although I did end up getting a condor and a longfowler that i love. Cant go wrong with any of the cz doubles IMO. I recommend the cz bob white sxs, the upland ultralight or the mallard. Do you want ejectors? or extractors?
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby reconcoupe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for the input, after handling both a condor and a longfowler at the dealer previously, I can't buy one, bad fit, bad finish, rough safety, rough hinges. I do like the CZ doubles, upland and mallard are no goes, already have a CZ O/U and while not the same model, still to close to justify getting another. But I'm getting closer and closer to the ring neck. I excluded the bobwhite only because I have shot english/straight grip before and despise them.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 pm

I have a cousin that shoots a Ringneck and its a gorgeous gun. The barrels are way better finished than my Bobwhite was. I actually sent my Bob back to cz because of the finish and their smith told me that the Ringneck gets more attention to detail than the Bobwhite. I also had the Redhead Deluxe o/u. I ended up selling both of them because they didn't have enough drop in the stocks. Those bulged muzzles always bothered me too. Wish they'd offer a fixed choke version like they do with the 16 gauge.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum