Beretta a390

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta a390

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Pops was eyeballing one at the local gun shop. And since we don't own an auto yet I told him I'd do some research and price comparisons. How's 495.00$ sound to you guys? I believe it's a used gun since beretta doesn't make them anymore. But from what I've read it may not take a lot of leg work to find parts incase I need them ( which also sounds like a fat chance of it breaking down.) all in all it's reads up as one of berettas better hay day models. any extra info would be nice
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN


Re: Beretta a390

Postby Merganzor » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 pm

The 390 has a lot of variations that drastically affect value. Here is a summary of my rudimentary knowledge as applied to your inquiry.

Wood version in good shape = great price.

Black syn. Italian receiver with mag cutoff = pretty good.

Black syn. Italian w/out cutoff = fair, not a steal.

Black syn. USA receiver = maybe a little high, but not a rip-off if it's in good shape with Italian barrel. I don't think the "blue book" is that high, but they are getting tougher to find.

A comparable new black syn. Beretta would be tough to find under $600. I don't even know if they make a comparable wood model anymore. The above info applies only to the 12 gauges. If it's a 20, buy it now.

Check out the Beretta forum on shotgunworld for some real knowledge on the subject. Or Orphanedcowboy from this site.
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
User avatar
Merganzor
hunter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby Hat Flats » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Just to keep things in perspective the A-390 is the best all around 3" gas auto shotgun ever built. What your are getting for that cash is a steal. and all parts are readily available and will be for many years. Like merganser said even the base model is worth that price.

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby everythings ducky » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 am

:ditto:
everythings ducky
hunter
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:32 am
Location: Oregon

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:55 am

Buy it.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 am

If you don't buy it, please PM the seller's name and phone number to me.
Please.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5646
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Beretta a390

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am

will do


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: Beretta a390

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:31 pm

QUICK QUESTION, These B3 series were mad in the 90s right? ( btw it turnes out this a390 is the gold mallard edition) Im not sure when non-toxic shells laws came into play, but is there a chance this gun isnt ok to shoot steel loads out of?????? This thing is definitely going to see a duck hunt. So will this be OK for duck hunting??

also right next to it was a B303 with walnut stock, extremely clean, but the barrel is 20'. If someone wants the info for the 303 hit me up ( mudpacks got first dibs if interested ) Itd take leg work to find another 26/28/30 inch barrel, but not too hard to do imo. Thanks guys!!
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: Beretta a390

Postby MarkM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:55 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:QUICK QUESTION, These B3 series were mad in the 90s right? ( btw it turnes out this a390 is the gold mallard edition) Im not sure when non-toxic shells laws came into play, but is there a chance this gun isnt ok to shoot steel loads out of?????? This thing is definitely going to see a duck hunt. So will this be OK for duck hunting??

also right next to it was a B303 with walnut stock, extremely clean, but the barrel is 20'. If someone wants the info for the 303 hit me up ( mudpacks got first dibs if interested ) Itd take leg work to find another 26/28/30 inch barrel, but not too hard to do imo. Thanks guys!!

I shoot a Silver Mallard (AL390) with steel shot, you'll be safe as long as you use common sense.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: Beretta a390

Postby Merganzor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:( btw it turnes out this a390 is the gold mallard edition)


Buy. It.

BTW Sweet Bubbles avatar MarkM. :thumbsup:
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
User avatar
Merganzor
hunter
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby Pdugan6 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 am

I have had my AL390 silver mallard for 15 years and I love it. I have been hard on it too. I ran close to 1,000 rounds through it before I did a full breakdown cleaning other than the barrel and it still would go bang.....Buy it up. It constantly makes the list of all time best semi auto shottys.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pdugan6
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 am

There aren't many things made by Man, that were made as right as a Beretta 390.

And they were dirt cheap to boot!
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Beretta a390

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:27 am

i just secured it with the 50$ down payment. shes all mine


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:43 am

While you are waiting, order this. http://www.colegun.com/products/390-g-b ... t-5-spring

If you want to use a sling, order this. http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C53745
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby MarkM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:48 am

DuckManClyde wrote:i just secured it with the 50$ down payment. shes all mine


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Good choice :thumbsup:


copterdoc wrote:While you are waiting, order this. http://www.colegun.com/products/390-g-b ... t-5-spring

Question, why would he need to upgrade the springs? I have yet to do it in mine, and I haven't had any problems.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:56 am

MarkM wrote:...Question, why would he need to upgrade the springs? I have yet to do it in mine, and I haven't had any problems.
It's not an upgrade of the spring.

It extends the life of the gun, by allowing you to tune the gas system to match the load.

The factory spring doesn't vent enough gas, unless you are using a barrel shorter than 24".
It allows too much gas under pressure to reach the piston.

Which results in too much bolt speed.
Which results in the bolt battering the back of the receiver like a ball-peen hammer.

With the Cole spring kit, you can use a lightweight spring for magnum loads, and a heavyweight spring for trap/skeet/sporting clay loads.

You "read" how fast the bolt is moving, by how far the gun ejects the spent shells.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby MarkM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:02 am

Mine throws both heavy dove loads and magnum duck loads just as far...
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 am

MarkM wrote:Mine throws both heavy dove loads and magnum duck loads just as far...

Yeah.
Too damn far!
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby MarkM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:19 am

copterdoc wrote:
MarkM wrote:Mine throws both heavy dove loads and magnum duck loads just as far...

Yeah.
Too damn far!

True. I have to find a bird then try to find the damn shells! My 1100 throws em almost just as far.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:27 am

MarkM wrote:My 1100 throws em almost just as far.
The bad thing is, that nobody made a spring kit to adjust the 1100.

These guns will RELIABLY cycle the lightest loads that you can find.
Far lighter than "dove loads".

But, the fact remains that 3" magnum loads produce a LOT more gas pressure than target loads do. And while both guns do make some attempt to compensate, they are factory tuned at the end of the spectrum that waterfowlers spend little, if any, time in.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby MarkM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 am

I have had hangups with the walmart special dove loads, but it would only be after not cleaning the gun for 2-3 weeks at a time of heavy hunting.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: Beretta a390

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 pm

so what your saying is, these guns are " tuned " to shoot light loads, and that a better spring will slow down my action to prevent wear while shooting heavier duck loads. but still reliably able to shoot both without jams or hang ups?


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:so what your saying is, these guns are " tuned " to shoot light loads, and that a better spring will slow down my action to prevent wear while shooting heavier duck loads. but still reliably able to shoot both without jams or hang ups?
Not better. Lighter.

The factory spring is way too stiff, and doesn't allow enough gas to by-pass the piston.
Unless the gun has a barrel shorter than 24".
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5876
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: Beretta a390

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:51 pm

copterdoc wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:so what your saying is, these guns are " tuned " to shoot light loads, and that a better spring will slow down my action to prevent wear while shooting heavier duck loads. but still reliably able to shoot both without jams or hang ups?
Not better. Lighter.

The factory spring is way too stiff, and doesn't allow enough gas to by-pass the piston.
Unless the gun has a barrel shorter than 24".


hmm, 30 bucks isnt a bad deal i guess, if itl preserve my gun then i think its worth getting.
I looked at the stocks for the 390/391 THEY COST MORE THAN IM PAYING FOR THE WHOLE GUN!

But I read some reviews and it seems like a high quality business. From what iv read, this is the palce to ship your beretta for servicing....Good to know JIC
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
User avatar
DuckManClyde
hunter
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 pm
Location: Milky Way, Earth, NA, MN

Re: Beretta a390

Postby SteveInOR » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:18 pm

copterdoc wrote:
MarkM wrote:My 1100 throws em almost just as far.
The bad thing is, that nobody made a spring kit to adjust the 1100.

These guns will RELIABLY cycle the lightest loads that you can find.
Far lighter than "dove loads".

But, the fact remains that 3" magnum loads produce a LOT more gas pressure than target loads do. And while both guns do make some attempt to compensate, they are factory tuned at the end of the spectrum that waterfowlers spend little, if any, time in.


Sure cycle sells lightweight springs for the 1100 and 11-87. Had both for my 11-87, used the lightweight one at the range and the heavyweight for ducks and turkey. They're stainless steel, too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
SteveInOR
hunter
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rrconductor and 20 guests