Beretta a390

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Beretta a390

Postby copterdoc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:59 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:So all this stuff you guys are adding on ( especially the spring mentioned in the 1st page ), is it all necessary? Cause if the gun has lasted 10+ years already w/o that spring then should i really be worried about the whole " ball peen hammer " analogy? Cause that makes me feel like i cant trust it....
The gun needs to cycle the bolt just hard enough to reliably eject the spent shell, and feed the next live shell.
Anything more, is just beating the gun up.

And the 390 doesn't have a buffer.

Just because the factory bypass spring allows the gun to cycle any load that you put in the gun, doesn't mean that it's the ideal powered spring for the loads you shoot.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:19 pm

This is the email i received from rich coles staff

Good morning. The 390 is certainly safe to fire steel loads in, as long as you do not use any choke tighter than Mod.
The original spring is not bad for the gun, it just does not have the versatility that is necessary to fire everything from the heavy duck loads to light target loads. Our spring set allows you to meter the gas system for the particular load you are using.
For a more in depth explanation, please call me at 207-833-5027.
Kind regards,
Jim Bellegarde

I guess ill get one before trap shooting starts at my school, That's most of my shooting really (just over 500 rounds in 7 weeks i think) other than that ill use the original spring for the occasional fun shoot or duck hunting.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:So all this stuff you guys are adding on ( especially the spring mentioned in the 1st page ), is it all necessary? Cause if the gun has lasted 10+ years already w/o that spring then should i really be worried about the whole " ball peen hammer " analogy? Cause that makes me feel like i cant trust it....

I replaced mine more out of a proactive fix just so I didn't have a problem any time soon with it. The gun was 18 years old when I put that sure cycle on it, figured the original spring gave me plenty of rounds and I got my moneys worth out of it.

I actually thing I'm going to replace all the spring in my sbe2 this summer (a whoping 40 dollars worth of parts to give her a face lift for another 9 seasons of hard use)
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:40 am

DuckManClyde wrote:....I guess ill get one before trap shooting starts at my school, That's most of my shooting really (just over 500 rounds in 7 weeks i think) other than that ill use the original spring for the occasional fun shoot or duck hunting.
You've got it bass-ackwards.
The factory spring is TOO stiff for field loads.

The weaker the spring, the more gas it vents.

You don't need the Cole spring kit for trap loads.
The factory spring is just about right for trap loads, but it's actually a little on the stiff side even for them.

This is NOT a recoil spring like the Sure Cycle.
This is the spring that hold the bypass valve closed.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 am

gotcha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 pm

http://shotgunreport.com/2013/10/02/391 ... ication-2/

Found this while researching what you told me, gave me reassurance so i will be getting a lighter spring.

I also did the hull test. My 4shot steel hull landed just under (used a tape measure from where i was standing) in the snowbank. Id really hate to tryin hide/pick up my shells that are all 10 ft. from my boat :sad:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum