A5 Rotating Bolt not fulling seating

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

A5 Rotating Bolt not fulling seating

Postby SayQuack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm

I purchased this A5 a month ago. I cleaned all the factory crap out of it before I ever assembled it. On the first hunt with it I noticed that the bolt did not fully seat after using the speed load for the first shell of the day. I re-racked it and had no problems that day. The next morning I had the same problem, but did not notice it. Pulled the trigger and click and it tried to load another shell. Since that day, that same problem has happened at least once every hunt sometimes on the first load and sometimes on the 2nd or 3rd shot in a volley.

I have cleaned it a few times running it a little wet or a little dry as far as oiling with no noticeable difference in (mal)function. The last time I disassembled the bolt, I noticed that the firing pin retaining pin had gouges in the metal and the unlocking pin has rub marks that are worrisome. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know the culprit? The gun was malfunctioning before it began to gouge and rub the pins.

I have already contacted Browning and their service rep was nothing but rude and curt with me over the phone. I'll be sending it in no matter what, but I'm just wondering if this is a one off problem or a symptom of the problems that other people have been having with this 100,000 guarantee shotgun??? :no:

Frankly, I'm a little frustrated for buying something that was clearly developed in a haphazard manner after owning a few Browning shotguns that have performed flawlessly.
SayQuack
hunter

Re: A5 Rotating Bolt not fulling seating

Postby 23yearsago » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:11 am

Can't really help you with your frustration at this point,,, but I will say that the one experience I had with Browning service a couple years ago was a pleasant one and hopefully yours will be also. The phone contact you had with the service dept. was unfortunate....and there's no excuse for it.
Considering those fellows likely take abuse for things they don't deserve and the inability of knowing his previous callers leaves an open mind for question of the attitude..... yet again, no excuse for it.

I too recently aquired an A5 and have not shot it to the lengths you have yours, but have not experienced any issues other than noticing THIS is a much different shotgun than my two other FNH produced gas guns.
Love the way it handles and it's weight, but in patterning with the MOD/IMP MOD tube of choice for waterfowling,,, I was not impressed by the pattern OR the felt recoil of 3" ammo.
Whether or not I sell this gun or keep it 'til next season to actually shoot at birds,, (as recoil is seldom noticed in a hunting situation), is unclear to me at this point.
Hopefully your bolt issue will be resolved with only minor inconvienience to you.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby zoutly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 am

Please post back with the outcome of this issue. I just bought a used A5 a week ago and hate hearing these things. So far all i have done it taken it out to pattern it and so far no issues but im taking goose hunting this weekend so we'll see how it does.
zoutly
hunter

Postby SayQuack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm very interested to hear the explanation from browning. I'm gonna post whatever I hear from them on the issue.
SayQuack
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:39 pm

If these are reloads that you're using, the problem could be caused by the shells. If the crimp area of the hull fat/bulged in won't allow the shell to go into the chamber fast enough to allow the bolt to rotate shut prroperly. Then you get the Benelli click. The crimp area needs to be properly sized/tapered. If you're getting this with new factory ammo, I don't know the cause..
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby dduckman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:23 pm

disassemble the bolt and clean it for starters. If that does not resolve the issue not sure what it may be?
dduckman
hunter

Postby RShockley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:42 am

I got my A5 back in august and have put a decent amount of rounds through it. After shooting at a sporting clays tournament last weekend I have put 6 and 1/2 cases of various shells through mine. I had 2 failure to feed in the first 100 shells while breaking in the gun. I haven't experienced a single issue since. If shooting reloads the crimp could be slowing it down causing it not to fully close. If that's not it you may want to try cleaning out and oiling the action spring to make sure it is working freely. I have talked with several other A5 owners that have not had a problem with there guns either. Hoping these random issues that keep popping up are just that, random. It is still a relatively new gun and I imagine they kinks are still being worked out. Hopefully Browning will fix what ever the issue might be.
RShockley
hunter

Postby SayQuack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 pm

I am shooting heavy metal, kent and rio's with the same results. I think I will take off the stock and oil the recoil spring/tube and see if that helps.

I expected cycling issues after reading people's problems with this gun, but I'm most concerned about is the bolt eating the firing pin retaining pin...
SayQuack
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:11 pm

I'm confused on how it tried to load another shell when you pulled the trigger but only heard a click. If the bolt didn't move there should be no way for it to even try to load another shell. I had zero issues with either of my new model A5's
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum