Anyone Ever heard of Shotgun type SKB?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Anyone Ever heard of Shotgun type SKB?

Postby MNduckhunter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:23 pm

At a gun show last year i bought a SKB semi-auto with engraving on ech side- on side ducks and on pheasant..

Looked really nice and have worked unbelievable for me- no jamming or anything.

I was wodnering if anyone has ever heard of this type, because i have never heard anything about it.

Good things about it, or bad let me hear them

Thanks
MNduckhunter
Keep the sportsmanship on the top of your list along with taking kids out and teaching them the love of the sport. Whether it be hunting or fishing, teach them the right and smart way to be a Sportsman.
MNduckhunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:24 pm

A lot of them around. Their O/U's are OK and basically the same as a Weatherby. The autos are OK at least I haven't heard any thing but the typical I love it I hate it you always get from the masses with any auto.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby p8riot » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 am

My understanding is that SKB makes Weatherby's O/Us (not sure if they make any of their other guns). They were also imported by Ithaca some years back. They are a very good "budget" gun with strong mechanics.

They do have a website

http://www.skbshotguns.com
p8riot
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:44 pm

made for ithaca by SKB....model XL 900. this is my main gun for 20 + years. i don't know what you would like to know about them...since you have had it for a year, i assume you know how to adjust the gas ports for 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells. also, assume you know the trick to remove the bolt/firing pin from the receiver. barrels are chrome lined, relatively extreme forcing cone....less than one inch forcing cone...need to be lengthened for decent patterns over 30 yards. also parts are tough to come by. no real mystery gun....maintain them and they work fine. is yours a 12 guage ???
vacuum6
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:25 pm

i have one more comment to add to my previous comment. the parts that are a little hard to come by are the wood stocks and the barrels. if you have an XL model, the XL stands for extra lite. you, no doubt realize that these are very lite guns. the barrels are also very lite. they are not designed to shoot steel shot (which does not compress like lead). these barrels tend to split with large ounce loads of steel.

parts are available at the web site shown above in a previous post. in addition, ron sharp in dunnville ontario has lots of parts....sharps gun service...he was a skb warranty shop in previous years...the auto loaders were first offered in 1971...before steel shot was an issue. i personally have never had any issues with steel shot but i only shoot 1 ounce loads of steel in a 20 gauge.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby Kiwi » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:28 am

Ive used a skb 500 u/o for thr last 20 yr great gun ,just upgaded to browning gold fusion . My friend has a 1900 auto and has just sent it away after 18yr to get new barrel 3" chamber to use steel loves it .

:getdown:
Kiwi
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:36 pm

SKB used to make some double guns for Ithaca. I believe , although not 100% sure, that they are a Japanese company. They are very well made and handle as nice as any of the upper end guns.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

ithaca/skb

Postby vacuum6 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:00 pm

ithaca gun company marketed guns for SKB until a reorganization in 1986-7. SkB Sports Inc in wheeling, illinois than went bankrupt in 1980. Now the New SKB Arms Company is out of tokyo, Japan.

the auto you have came in 2 forms. the 300XL and the 900 XL were gas operated semi-autos. the 300 and 900 are recoil operated autos.

sharps guns LTD in ontario canada purchased all of the remaining inventories during these changes and has the parts. ron sharp specializes in these ithaca/skb guns. phone 1-905-774-6368. he also buys whole or parts guns.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby loudnj » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:10 am

Yes. Ithica makes, or made them. In fact I need a forearm and hardware for a model 500. Know where I can find one?
loudnj
Newb

Postby hoover » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:30 pm

Ithaca never made the 300 or the 900...they marketed (sold them) under an agreement with SKB. you can try the phone number shown in the previous post for ron sharp's gun service for your parts. other than that, there is a web site for SKB (the new SKB) ...google search with find it.
hoover
hunter

Postby whopper jr » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:34 am

after reading the replies to the topic ithica skb, I wanted to post that I own an skb recoil operated called a feather lite. with very fansy engraving on the reseaver.. is this a model 300? or 900 I've read about?
Its been a great gun for me. I got it free when I adopted a great Britney spanial. Ive never had a jam, that is if I didnt forget to turn over the ring in the forearm...is the prof tested steel barrel safe for the use of hevey shot or tunstun? thanks for the info.........regards Steve
whopper jr
Newb

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:01 pm

I have two friends that hunt with skb autos and they love them( except for the fact that they only chamber 2 3/4 shells). But they always seem to function flawlessly. ONe shoots a 20 (which also has the duck and pheasant engravings on both sides) and the other shoots an unengraved 12.

Shot the 12 at clays and in the field (ducks and dove) and it seemed like a great shooter to me.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:04 pm

oh yeah, from what i've heard skb was a japanese company that used to build some higher quality shotguns for ithica. Everything i have ever read about the auto shotguns has been positive stuff. SO i guesss it seems like you managed to get your hands on a perty good scattergun. Beest of luck with your new toy.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Ithaca SKB XL300

Postby firewood » Thu May 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Maybe its a dumb question but I was told by the person who I got this gun from that they used it with 3in slugs for deer hunting. It has the original barrel on it I have called SKB and Ithaca with little help. The guy from SKB said it would have ruined the barrel if a slug was shot out of it. I want to use this gun for deer hunting is it possible? I am kind of new at this I borrowed a gun last year and got my first deer. I am also going goose hunting this season would this make a good gun. I also have a Marlin goose gun and also 2 mossbergs a 495b and a 395kb what are those guns primary purposes. Thanks
firewood
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum