SBEll jamming help

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SBEll jamming help

Postby wjarrell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:02 pm

My SBEII has less than 500 rounds through it and have never had a problem except for now. I've had 3 jams in the last 2 boxes of shells. Fire a shot and the shell ejects half way, brass in the receiver and open part of the shell sticking out. I have to pull the empty out so the next shell can load. I've clean everything including the recoil tube and spring. I'm shooting kent 3" 1 1/4 oz. any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks
wjarrell
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Fresno, CA


Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Are you running it pretty dry or wet with lube. They love the lube. Also have you shot 2.75 inch shells through it just prior to it jamming?
User avatar
B.E.Nelli
hunter
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby wjarrell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Are you running it pretty dry or wet with lube. They love the lube. Also have you shot 2.75 inch shells through it just prior to it jamming?

Ya it was pretty lubed up. Fresh cleaning the day before the hunt. Out of the 5 shells I shot I had 2 jams. I haven't shot 2 3/4 since summer.
wjarrell
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby Frylock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Cold out?
User avatar
Frylock
hunter
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 am

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby wjarrell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Frylock wrote:Cold out?

I wish it was cold but not here in California. It was in the 50's probably.
wjarrell
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby wjarrell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Could the timing be off? The shot is fired, and before ejected all the way the next round is trying to load too soon. Before the empty shell is totally clear. I'm just thinking out loud.
wjarrell
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby Jhalligan87 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 pm

It's a real pain but try cleaning the recoil spring in the stock, and while you're at it buy one of the stiffer Wolff springs and replace it. When cleaning, wipe everything down with CLP.. Let it sit for a bit then wipe off any excess. Put a drop or two on the receiver rails and choke tube rings and you should be good to go.
Jhalligan87
hunter
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 am

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby wjarrell » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Jhalligan87 wrote:It's a real pain but try cleaning the recoil spring in the stock, and while you're at it buy one of the stiffer Wolff springs and replace it. When cleaning, wipe everything down with CLP.. Let it sit for a bit then wipe off any excess. Put a drop or two on the receiver rails and choke tube rings and you should be good to go.

When I cleaned it the day before the hunt, that is how I did it. I don't understand how a wolf spring is going to fix my particular problem.... And the lube I use is CLP.
wjarrell
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:06 pm

Reason I asked about the shorter shells. Sometimes the shorter shells leave a small line of plastic in the chamber that causes longer shells to stick just a tad. Is the chamber absolutely spotless? If you can see any light marks in there a scotchbrite pad will rub it right off. Other than that I'm outta ideas. I'd be callin Benelli.
User avatar
B.E.Nelli
hunter
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 pm

There was a guy in the other section that stated he had his m2 kept getting caught up about 2/3s of the way back. He had to really work at getting the shells out then it would chamber. He checked his ejector and found that one of the two rivets was loose. Somehow he tightened it and it is gtg.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 pm

Other than that I would examine everything and make sure nothing is loose or broken. I then would take a handful of different shells and try them. Might be something with the Kent's although I have shoot 15 or so cases of them off in my sbe2 without a problem.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby wjarrell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks guys for all the replys, I'll call Benelli in the morning.
wjarrell
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby copterdoc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:28 am

wjarrell wrote:...any ideas on what's going on?
Yep!
It's called a stovepipe.

It happens when the bolt goes back far enough for the shell to clear the chamber. But, not far enough for the ejector to "kick" the shell out of the gun. Nor far enough for the next shell to feed.

As far as why it's happening?
Nobody can know for sure without getting all touchy-feely with the gun.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5848
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Possible an extractor issue? I'm not as familiar with the SBE2 as I am with the M2.

Some issues I've read about on Shotgunworld involve a carrier latch issues, specifically the spring. That doesn't sound to be the case with your situation though.... :huh:

Waterfowlhunter in the Modifications and Repairs forum may be a good resource for you.
Jonesy
User avatar
njonesy_07
State Moderator
 
Posts: 4550
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm
Location: OR

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby rerhardt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Go to you tube and type in slow motion of a benelli video, you would be surprised and how an empty shell reacts as it is being ejected, after watching the video you just might think it was bad luck, I had two of the same hangups this past weekend, none of the guns out there run perfect ALL the time, watch the video, it will open your eyes!!
rerhardt
hunter
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby wjarrell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:26 pm

rerhardt wrote:Go to you tube and type in slow motion of a benelli video, you would be surprised and how an empty shell reacts as it is being ejected, after watching the video you just might think it was bad luck, I had two of the same hangups this past weekend, none of the guns out there run perfect ALL the time, watch the video, it will open your eyes!!

Funny you say that. I saw that video a couple weeks ago and thought it was interesting.
wjarrell
hunter
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby Hat Flats » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:25 pm

MY SBE II would do the same thing, but 2 3/4" and 3.5" shells were OK, I stripped that thing down and cleaned everything over and over, trying several different oils (Break Free being the best by far) but nothing worked I called Benelli they told me to send it back. Benelli found that the extractor slot in the barrel was not cut at the correct angle so they recut the angle and it was flawless from that day on it would shoot everything from 7/8oz -2 1/4oz nonstop all day long. I added a Wolff XP Spring and it was an animal just flat unstoppable! Give them a call they will fix you up, they are not fast but they are good so keep that in mind.

Hat
Hat Flats
hunter
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby mudpack » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:15 am

wjarrell wrote: And the lube I use is CLP.

There's your problem.
Clean the gun thoroughly....I mean a complete teardown; mag spring and recoil spring included.....then lube it with a real gun oil. RemOil works well, as does the Outer's oil.

You don't need a product that is a "cleaner" or a "protector". You need a lubricant, period. Your regular cleaning of the gun is all the "cleaner" and "protector" it requires. Gun oil is the answer.
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 5617
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby Seaductor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:36 am

Inside the receiver section of the barrel is a small spring hidden behind a plate. When I was having similar problems, I blew it out good with brakekleen and lubed it. I've never had a problem again. That channel with the spring was full of powder residue.

At least once a year I give my trigger assembly a full disassemble and clean. That prevents a lot of other potential malfunctions!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
User avatar
Seaductor
hunter
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:11 am
Location: Mid Coast Maine

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:00 am

Seaductor wrote:Inside the receiver section of the barrel is a small spring hidden behind a plate. When I was having similar problems, I blew it out good with brakekleen and lubed it. I've never had a problem again. That channel with the spring was full of powder residue.

At least once a year I give my trigger assembly a full disassemble and clean. That prevents a lot of other potential malfunctions!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2


What is that spring? I've always wondered if it needed cleaned behind there.
User avatar
B.E.Nelli
hunter
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby T Man » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:08 am

mudpack wrote:
wjarrell wrote: And the lube I use is CLP.

There's your problem.
Clean the gun thoroughly....I mean a complete teardown; mag spring and recoil spring included.....then lube it with a real gun oil. RemOil works well, as does the Outer's oil.

You don't need a product that is a "cleaner" or a "protector". You need a lubricant, period. Your regular cleaning of the gun is all the "cleaner" and "protector" it requires. Gun oil is the answer.


Id say clp has a proven record and isn't just some flash in the pan new product. Its good enough for the marine corps
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5592
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby copterdoc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:48 pm

T Man wrote:
mudpack wrote:
wjarrell wrote: And the lube I use is CLP.

There's your problem.
Clean the gun thoroughly....I mean a complete teardown; mag spring and recoil spring included.....then lube it with a real gun oil. RemOil works well, as does the Outer's oil.

You don't need a product that is a "cleaner" or a "protector". You need a lubricant, period. Your regular cleaning of the gun is all the "cleaner" and "protector" it requires. Gun oil is the answer.


Id say clp has a proven record and isn't just some flash in the pan new product. Its good enough for the marine corps
How about having some respect and capitalizing the title Marine Corps?




Semper Fidelis.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5848
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby T Man » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 pm

copterdoc wrote:
T Man wrote:
mudpack wrote:
wjarrell wrote: And the lube I use is CLP.

There's your problem.
Clean the gun thoroughly....I mean a complete teardown; mag spring and recoil spring included.....then lube it with a real gun oil. RemOil works well, as does the Outer's oil.

You don't need a product that is a "cleaner" or a "protector". You need a lubricant, period. Your regular cleaning of the gun is all the "cleaner" and "protector" it requires. Gun oil is the answer.


Id say clp has a proven record and isn't just some flash in the pan new product. Its good enough for the marine corps
How about having some respect and capitalizing the title Marine Corps?




Semper Fidelis.


Don't you have someone in the dog forum to belittle for not buying a field trial dog?

Find somewhere else to pick a fight doc, and don't question my respect for the Corps again.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5592
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby dduckman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Wipe off excess oils after cleaning so there is no build up of oil anywhere! I had a couple Jams one day weeks ago and tore my bolt completely apart, It is easy to do and you can remove the firing pin and return spring. Zero issue since, regardless of your issue I bet it needs done!
dduckman
hunter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: SBEll jamming help

Postby C M Wings » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm

This may sound nuts, but make sure the gun I'd firmly mounted against your shoulder. My kid and a friend had this same problem, and. When I watched them shoot they threw ip the gun but and fired before having properly mounted once in a while. It's an inertia gun - it needs to press against you to work. It does not take much for it to happen - with my kid it was heavy clothes and recoil giving thr gun too much freedom....

Just an idea.

Ducks.
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: garlicsalt, Il outdoors junkie and 15 guests