Question of Steel Shot Use in Belgian A5s

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Question of Steel Shot Use in Belgian A5s

Postby jpari » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

I have seen many posts of members asking whether they can shoot steel shot in their Belgian made A5s. I have decided to post Brownings own response to this question copied directly from their website. This should be the definitive answer and followed by the owner as stated by Browning and not from John Q. Public. God forbid if a serious injury were to occur this is what will be presented in court and what the courts will go by:

Question:
Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?

Answer:
READ THE ENTIRE ANSWER BELOW BEFORE USING STEEL SHOT IN ANY FIREARM

All current Browning shotguns with the Invector or Invector-Plus choke tube system are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ring bulge" just inches behind the muzzle or irreversible damage or harm to the shooter depending on the firearm. Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

All Browning shotguns with the Invector choke or Invector-Plus tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.
jpari
hunter

Re: Question of Steel Shot Use in Belgian A5s

Postby solway gunner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 pm

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

This recommendation is a potential hazard as they have not specified exactly which choke constriction can be used before damage is caused typicaly via ringe bulge.What the Browning rep shouldve said was "with .20 constriction barrel only" at the very least or better still "not at all,use invector"
solway gunner
hunter

Postby jpari » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:06 pm

solway gunner wrote:2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

This recommendation is a potential hazard as they have not specified exactly which choke constriction can be used before damage is caused typicaly via ringe bulge.What the Browning rep shouldve said was "with .20 constriction barrel only" at the very least or better still "not at all,use invector"

Solway,
Just for accuracy, the info that I posted I copied and pasted exactly from Brownings own official website. The information did not come to me via a rep. I cannot speculate whether the copied information was approved by a Browning attorney prior to being posted on their site. I understand your concern. However, why that was not included in Brownings copy under heading #2 can only be answered by Browning. Perhaps you might agree to call Browning to find out why constrictions were not included in their official warning and post their response for this boards information?
jpari
hunter

Postby lunatic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:34 pm

All that BS that browning wrote is nothing more than to cover their arse. Can't blame them.

As I read between the lines, Browning is saying not to shot steel shot on older Browning guns due to TIGHT FIX chokes. Well that will fit to any shotgun with fix thigh chokes, does it not? Answer #3

I have a 1960 magnum A5 that I have screw in chokes installed and I shoot steel shot out of it when I waterfowl hunt, 3" mag BB's, #2's #4's. Been doing it for four years now, no issues so far. With this set up I would stay below 1425 PFS.

I have been on other forums and people claim that they have fired steel shot out of their older A5's with full chokes and they have had no issues what so ever. A little to risky for me.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby what_da_duck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:12 pm

lunatic wrote:All that BS that browning wrote is nothing more than to cover their arse. Can't blame them.

As I read between the lines, Browning is saying not to shot steel shot on older Browning guns due to TIGHT FIX chokes. Well that will fit to any shotgun with fix thigh chokes, does it not? Answer #3

I have a 1960 magnum A5 that I have screw in chokes installed and I shoot steel shot out of it when I waterfowl hunt, 3" mag BB's, #2's #4's. Been doing it for four years now, no issues so far. With this set up I would stay below 1425 PFS.

I have been on other forums and people claim that they have fired steel shot out of their older A5's with full chokes and they have had no issues what so ever. A little to risky for me.

Are u saying that u had a full chocked a5 and got it threaded for chokes ? And your shooting steel fine? I been hesitant to buy either old a5 12g or finding sweet 16 but I want hunt with them not clay shoot and be safe queens or buying hevi shot classics doubles for 35 bucks for a box of 10

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
what_da_duck
hunter

Postby lunatic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:34 pm

what_da_duck wrote:
lunatic wrote:All that BS that browning wrote is nothing more than to cover their arse. Can't blame them.

Are u saying that u had a full chocked a5 and got it threaded for chokes ? And your shooting steel fine? I been hesitant to buy either old a5 12g or finding sweet 16 but I want hunt with them not clay shoot and be safe queens or buying hevi shot classics doubles for 35 bucks for a box of 10

That is what I said. It shoot steel just fine, with no apparent barrel damage. Of course I do not go above 1550 PFS as recommended, I stay with fast steel at around 1425PFS.

Here is why I elected to have an extended screw in chokes installed. I bought the gun for $500, its in really good shape. It's been refinished and synthetic stock put in, so the collectors value, if any was gone. And a Japanese or Belgian barrel by itself cost just about as much as the gun would. A extended screw in choke cost me $165 by Carlson's plus about $25 for shipping to & from.

It also came with three chokes of my choosing; I chose Skeet, improved cylinder & modified.

The barrel was originally a 32" full choke. Carlson's had to cut about 1.5" off the barrel in order to install the new choke. However the extended choke sticks out about 5/8", so barrel length loss is minimal.
Last edited by lunatic on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby what_da_duck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Hmmmm .....where did u get your barrel threaded at? How much?

what_da_duck
hunter

Postby lunatic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:56 pm

I sent the barrel only to Carlson's Choke Tubes, this was about 4 years ago and it cost me $165 + shipping. Check their website for current prices.

They did an outstanding job.

Carlson's is not the only entity that can perform this task.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby what_da_duck » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm considering doing this to a plain barrel 26 in sweet 16 I might be picking up

what_da_duck
hunter

Postby lunatic » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:56 am

According to their website, 10, 12 & 20 gauges they can do.

I would call them and ask for your 16.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby what_da_duck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:27 am

Yea I read that

what_da_duck
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum