Shotgun Help

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Shotgun Help

Postby Gj325 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 pm

New to duck hunting other than a trip every now and then. Going to go at it hard next year as for now I have a 1953 870 and Nova pump that I turkey hunt with. I want a semi but I have neck issues spent few days in Hosp in Nov lost all use of my left arm culprit ended up being misaligned vertebrate from a bike accident. So I want the gun that has the least recoil.

Money is no problem. Don't need another 25k Hosp bill because I didn't buy best gun for me. Would like to keep 12 ga but most likely will never shoot 3.5". Have even pondered a 20 ga just for health reasons.

Will be hunting pit blind mainly in rice fields. May have a timber hunt every now and then.

At this time my preliminary choices are Browning Maxus
Berretta 400 extre Browning A5.

Anyone else have recoil issues what gun has least recoil that's good for ducks.
Plus what Barrell length would you go with in a pit ??
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Re: Shotgun Help

Postby Iloveducks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:16 pm

You could look into acquiring a Rem Versamax. They are very soft on recoil. I have had one for 3 years, have shot about 2000 rounds thru it in sporting clays, and have hunted with it for ducks and geese the past 3 seasons. One can adjust the stock to fit self and it has 3 comb inserts to adjust comb height. Great gun!! John
Iloveducks
hunter

Postby lunatic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:49 pm

20 gauge will definitely have a little less recoil.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby TuJays » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 am

I have major shoulder and right hand damage, and because of this I about gave up hunting waterfowl. Not any more thanks to the Versa Max and its light felt recoil I am back in the game.
I have done so much for so long with so little, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
TuJays
hunter

Postby dduckman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 am

20ga or some of the gas guns in 3 inch chamber, Browning and Winchester x3 come to mind! Only issue with 20ga is you will have to basically stock pile some rounds once you get what you like, they are not readily available around here anyway!

I shoot a Browning gold 20 sometimes and it works great for decoying birds!
dduckman
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 am

Iloveducks wrote:You could look into acquiring a Rem Versamax. They are very soft on recoil. I have had one for 3 years, have shot about 2000 rounds thru it in sporting clays, and have hunted with it for ducks and geese the past 3 seasons. One can adjust the stock to fit self and it has 3 comb inserts to adjust comb height. Great gun!! John

Never have this gun a thought will check it out.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 am

dduckman wrote:20ga or some of the gas guns in 3 inch chamber, Browning and Winchester x3 come to mind! Only issue with 20ga is you will have to basically stock pile some rounds once you get what you like, they are not readily available around here anyway!

How effective is the 20 ga on ducks are you limited to closer shots.
When I have hunted before only had a 1953 Rem 870 pump 2 3/4"
Buddies made fun of me but I still seemed kill plenty birds. Is a 20 ga comparable to 2 3/4" 12ga
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 am

Gj325 wrote:
dduckman wrote:20ga or some of the gas guns in 3 inch chamber, Browning and Winchester x3 come to mind! Only issue with 20ga is you will have to basically stock pile some rounds once you get what you like, they are not readily available around here anyway!

How effective is the 20 ga on ducks are you limited to closer shots.
Buddies made fun of me but I still seemed kill plenty birds. Is a 20 ga comparable to 2 3/4" 12ga

My dad actually gave up hunting with a 12 ga as he got older. Switched to his dove gun (20 ga berretta 390). He shoots a mod with 3" #4 hevishot. He kills then at 40 pretty regularly. He really likes using it because it is light and has a quick swing.

I can't see why with a little bit of choke/load testing you can't get good patterns at 40. As long as the gun fits you well, that alone will reduce the recoil. You may want to see if you can arrange to test some of these guns at the range. There are trap leagues around here that work with people a lot to let them try out different shot guns. Idk if you have this where you are but it would let you see first hand what the recoil in each gun is like.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:09 am

I have a Remington 1100 G3 20 gauge and a 12 gauge. The 12 very seldom gets used as the 20 kills everything I wish to shoot with it and actually after learning to shoot the 20 with the less pellet count Im a better wing shot. The recoil on the gun is non existent and the G3 action is twice a smooth as a regular Model 1100. The guns were only made 3 years and are a bit hard to find, but, you can find them on gun broker or guns international
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby B-Boy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Gj325 wrote:...How effective is the 20 ga on ducks are you limited to closer shots.

A 2 3/4" 12-gauge is still capable of kicking-out 1 1/4 oz of shot although 1 1/8 oz of shot is more common. A 3" 20-gauge is typically 1 oz, but I have seen 1 1/16 oz in some of the premium loads. Non the less, I kill a lot of ducks with my 20-gauge M2 every year. I try to keep my shots within 30 yards, but have killed them out to an honest 40+ yards with 1 oz of #3 shot.

Regarding recoil, a 20-gauge may or may not be a softer shooter. They push out less shot, so that helps, but they are also typically a lighter gun. That's not good for recoil. As long as you don't get a 20-gauge that's too light, the recoil will be less then a 12-gauge. I have a bad shoulder, but I find my 20-gauge M2 comfortable with duck loads.
Benelli - Cordoba (20 ga. & 12 ga.)
Browning - 725 Sporting (12 ga.), Maxus (Hunter & MAX-4 Stalker)
Franchi - Renaissance (20 ga.)
B-Boy
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 pm

TuJays wrote:I have major shoulder and right hand damage, and because of this I about gave up hunting waterfowl. Not any more thanks to the Versa Max and its light felt recoil I am back in the game.

I second the incredibly light recoil of the Versa Max. Even with heavy loads the recoil is more than manageable! And almost two years of reliable service, without the first issue.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:13 pm

BurninPowder wrote:
TuJays wrote:I have major shoulder and right hand damage, and because of this I about gave up hunting waterfowl. Not any more thanks to the Versa Max and its light felt recoil I am back in the game.

I second the incredibly light recoil of the Versa Max. Even with heavy loads the recoil is more than manageable! And almost two years of reliable service, without the first issue.

I will have to give the Versa Max a look. I just assumed the better waterfowl guns would be One of the three Big B shotguns.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:37 pm

You might take a look at this on guns international

Guns International #: 100408025

Lister Inventory #: 134260
Remington 1100 G3 20ga 28" Remchokes (USED)

Description:

Remington 1100 G3 20ga 28" Remchokes (USED) -- Factory original and in near new condition overall. Includes factory case and additional choke tubes. Comes with 5 tubes and $175.00 hard travel case
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 pm

cluckmeister wrote:You might take a look at this on guns international

Guns International #: 100408025

Lister Inventory #: 134260
Remington 1100 G3 20ga 28" Remchokes (USED)

Description:

Remington 1100 G3 20ga 28" Remchokes (USED) -- Factory original and in near new condition overall. Includes factory case and additional choke tubes. Comes with 5 tubes and $175.00 hard travel case

Thanks. Will take a look
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:24 am

If you didn't buy it, its already sold, the 20 gauges just don't last long, they do come stock with a limb saver pad
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 am

Gj325 wrote:I will have to give the Versa Max a look. I just assumed the better waterfowl guns would be One of the three Big B shotguns.

A common misconception that a large portion of the general public will have you believe. Not to say that Browning, Benelli and Beretta don't make fine firearms... But hunters have been killing ducks and the like with Winchester, Remington and Mossberg, just to name a few, for 100 years or more. The marketing behind the big three, funded by their products outrageous price tags, has brainwashed a large portion of the hunting public (usually the younger thereof) into believeing that you must have a $2000 gun with a "B" on it to kill ducks. This is not the case... Ive done it for years with a $150 870. Sorry for the rant! :biggrin:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 am

BurninPowder wrote:
Gj325 wrote:I will have to give the Versa Max a look. I just assumed the better waterfowl guns would be One of the three Big B shotguns.

A common misconception that a large portion of the general public will have you believe. Not to say that Browning, Benelli and Beretta don't make fine firearms... But hunters have been killing ducks and the like with Winchester, Remington and Mossberg, just to name a few, for 100 years or more. The marketing behind the big three, funded by their products outrageous price tags, has brainwashed a large portion of the hunting public (usually the younger thereof) into believeing that you must have a $2000 gun with a "B" on it to kill ducks. This is not the case... Ive done it for years with a $150 870. Sorry for the rant! :biggrin:

agreed, used R guns for 40 years , have never had one malfunction and the one W gun I have has malfunctioned 1 time
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby langston32 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:29 am

I would stay a way from the recoil operated guns and go with a gas gun like mentioned above. You can always send whatever gun you decide to get to brileys and have some work done to lessen felt recoil. I would focus on what fits you and just feels good in your hands, and if it kicks to much have some work done

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
langston32
Newb

Postby KRB » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:19 pm

A400 xtreme is a soft shooting gun. 3 inch magnuns feel like target loads.
KRB
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:00 pm

KRB wrote:A400 xtreme is a soft shooting gun. 3 inch magnuns feel like target loads.

That was one gun I had really considered
I will never shoot 3.5" so that could be a finalist for me along with Versa Max
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:36 pm

KRB wrote:A400 xtreme is a soft shooting gun. 3 inch magnuns feel like target loads.

x2... I LOVE my Beretta A400. I upgraded from a Beretta AL391 Silver Mallard. I thought the Silver Mallard being a gas gun didn't kick a lot. My new A400 remarkably kicks even less.

I have heard great things about the Versa Max. It just didn't feel good / natural to me in my hands trying it out. I guess I was used to Beretta's. Anyway, I would of course recommend trying both of these two great guns out and see which one you like and which one shoulders the best for you.

Good luck :beer:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:24 pm

aclumpkin wrote:

x2... I LOVE my Beretta A400. I upgraded from a Beretta AL391 Silver Mallard. I thought the Silver Mallard being a gas gun didn't kick a lot. My new A400 remarkably kicks even less.

I have heard great things about the Versa Max. It just didn't feel good / natural to me in my hands trying it out. I guess I was used to Beretta's. Anyway, I would of course recommend trying both of these two great guns out and see which one you like and which one shoulders the best for you.

Good luck :beer:

I have tried the A400 it felt great just came into my line of eyesight was a tad heavier than the Browning Maxus. Which also felt real nice. I will try to get a look at Versa also

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum